Monday, January 3, 2011

Colors

Lucille Ball: During her career, Ball had thirteen Emmy nominations and four wins, also earning the Lifetime Achievement Award from the Kennedy Center Honors. Before starring in I Love Lucy, Ball was widely regarded as a failed actress and a B movie star. Even her drama instructors didn't feel she could make it, telling her to try another profession. She, of course, proved them all wrong.

What colors are you wearing and what does it say about you? What colors should you wear if you want to portray a certain image? I have the answers:

http://jobs.aol.com/articles/2010/12/27/meaning-of-colors-at-work/?icid=main%7Chp-laptop%7Cdl6%7Csec4_lnk1%7C192764

Do you have some leftover baby oil taking up space in your house and you just don't know what to do with it? Here are some suggestions:

http://www.diylife.com/2010/11/24/baby-oil-uses/?icid=main%7Chp-laptop%7Cdl5%7Csec1_lnk3%7C192756

I like to start the week with some good health news and I think the following article provides it:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110103/ap_on_he_me/us_med_cancer_blood_test

Your comments are appreciated.

WHO AM I?

I was born in 1845 and died in 1925 and was famous as both a nurse and a gold prospector. I immigrated to the United state with my mother and my sister. Fifteen years after we first arrived in the U.S. we went out west to set up camp in San Francisco. After the Gold rush era came I left my family to go to the Cassiar Mountains, in British Columbia, Canada. A lifelong Catholic I set up a boarding house for miners, asking them for donations to be made for the Sisters of St. Anne in return for receiving the services available at my boarding house. I later traveled to Victoria, to deliver 500 dollars received in donations,to the nuns of the Sisters of St. Anne. There I heard that a snowstorm had attacked the Cassiar mountains area, stranding and injuring 26 miners, who were also suffering from scurvy. I immediately organized an expedition with six men and collected food and medicines, planning to find the men and rescue them. Conditions at the Cassiar Mountains were so dangerous during the time, that not even the Canadian Army considered it a worthy task to try to rescue the twenty six stranded men. When they heard of my expedition, a commander sent his troops to find me and bring me and my group of men back safely. An Army trooper found me standing over the ice of Stikine River, cooking my meal for the evening. I offered the trooper and a few other men from his group some tea, and convinced them that it was my will to continue and I would not head back without rescuing the men. After 77 days of unfriendly weather, I found the sick men, which, as it turned out, were more than twenty six; some estimates put the number of lives that I and my crew saved at seventy five. I used a Vitamin C diet to re-establish the group's health. Thereafter, I was fondly known in the region by my Angel nickname. Later I moved to Arizona, where I kept working for my Catholic faith. I raised money to build the Sacred Heart Catholic Church there, and I worked with the Sisters of St. Joseph's. I also kept my work as a caretaker, getting a job as a nurse in a local Cochise hospital. After my brother-in-law's death I invited my sister, Fanny, to move to my home along with her five children. However, Fanny died two years later, leaving me as the only caretaker of the five children. Still hoping to find gold I traveled to Baja California, Mexico, soon after my sister's death. With 100 miles to reach their destination, I decided that six men would lead the group that I was traveling with, which consisted of me and twenty-one men. After sixteen hours most of the men in the group suffered dehydration from the Arizona heat. As a consequence, the group's water supply was almost gone. When robbers were convicted and sentenced to death I was indignant at the behavior of the citizens of Tombstone, feeling that no death should be celebrated. I befriended the five convicts, visiting them constantly to provide them with spiritual guidance. I spoke to the sheriff about the upcoming event, pleading with him to put a curfew in place during the day of the hangings so that no crowds would stand by the street to watch. The sheriff conceded, and a curfew was set.
Next, I and some friends went at night to the site of the execution, destroying the grandstand with hammers and axes. While the hangings proceeded as scheduled, the public was unable to watch, and I achieved what I wanted: the five men died feeling that a small portion of dignity had been restored to them. I co-owned and ran a restaurant and hotel in Tombstone called Russ House. According to a popular legend, once, a client complained about my cooking, and Doc Holliday drew his side arm, asking the customer to repeat what he had said. Embarrassed, the client replied, "Best I ever ate." Motivated by my dream of finding gold during the Klondike Gold Rush I moved to Alaska were I owned a store and searched for gold in Klondike, Fairbanks and Nolan Creek. I later visited California, where I declared that I'd like to be appointed U.S. deputy Marshal for the area of Koyukuk. The Associated Press documented my trip from Nolan Creek to Anchorage during which I began suffering from pneumonia and rheumatism. My friends took me to the same hospital I had helped built 51 years before, the Sisters of St. Anne. Ironically, I died soon afterwards in that institution. After my death I was inducted into the Alaska Mining Hall of Fame. If you don't know who I am by now may I recommend "Stalwart Women: Frontier Stories Of Indomitable Spirit" to the blog readers and posters? Who Am I?

8 comments:

Pat said...

Colors: I wear a lot of blue. Also a lot of black, but I like contrast, so I often pair black with white or light blue, at least in accents. I don't wear red as a general rule, except when working on the local elections, where we are asked to wear red/white/blue on at least the final day. I do wear maroon/burgundy. A lot. Green? Sometimes. Love purple, but don't have anything in it at the moment. A lot of brown/tan. Yellow, not so much. Orange? Not at all.

Baby oil? I have some, and occasionally add a tiny bit to bubble bath for a relaxing soak. Otherwise, who knew? And will I remember? Probably not.

The blood test for CA--sounds promising. I wonder if they'll use it for screening, and if they find a stray cancer cell in an otherwise healthy person, whether they will know where to start looking for the culprit.

dona said...

I wear mostly black. I just fell into it. My wardrobe is mostly blue jeans/with black or navy blue in everything else. I do love brown and have a couple things in it. I used to wear lots of brown with purple and beige and greens. I never wear pink or red. I remember in grade school a picture taken with me in a PINK dress and I think I was sick, cause it made me look sick. I have Never worn pink again. (I hate that picture)

And won't be caught dead in red. (my favorite Aunts favorite color)
I wore yellow once when I had a nice tan and was about 100 pounds. :)

I liked the news on the blood test for Cancer. I actually got excited as I take all the tests they talked about and would be happy to just give some blood instead! But after reading it I started to wonder the same as Pat, where would they begin to look if one cell was found? Guess I will be needing some more info...

William J. said...

Hi Pat

The black/combination would show confidence and I view you as a pretty confident women. I do wear a red shirt at least once every two weeks. Seldom where green but do wear a purple shirt as often as the red shirt. No yellow for me.

I won't remember the uses baby oil but that is ok since I don't have any.

Your question is interesting about the blood test but I am wondering that if once they know a cancer cell exists if they couldn't find it with an X-Ray or a full body or bone scan.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Dona

My guess is you look pretty damn good in navy blue and jeans! I do have one pink shirt that I wear Well it looks yellow is banned on the blog!

See my comment to Pat about the blood tests.

Bill

Lady DR said...

Colors? I'm big on black for any sort of "occasion," I have to admit, always have been, altho, like Pat, I usually add some splash of color, anything from white to red to blues and greens. Since I practically live in blue jeans, I'd say I'm big on blue, as well. I do have a few things in burgundy. No yellow, as my coloring doesn't carry it well.

Interesting about the baby oil. I may have to try it on soap scum, both as removal (initially) and to see if it really is a deterrent.

I found the cancer article very encouraging. Now, if they should find a cell, will the test tell them where it is, what it is and what they're dealing with? As a tool for tracking progress, it sounds wonderful. As a means of early cancer diagnosis, it would be terrific.

William J. said...

Hi DR

None of us here like yellow.

OK, you are the official Dahn Report product tester.

They just had more information about the cancer story on the news. Originally the intention for the blood test will be to see if treatments are working.

Bill

Lady DR said...

Checking to see if treatments are working sounds like a plan to me. Would that they could have done that with Daddy, Walt, Jim and Paul. It's a start and, if it's effective, it may lead to better diagnostics in the future. I can certainly live with that.

William J. said...

Hi DR

If they can see that treatments aren't working then they can quit wasting their time on them and take a different direction.

Bill