Friday, January 7, 2011

Don't Cry, Please!

R. H. Macy: Most people are familiar with this large department store chain, but Macy didn't always have it easy. Macy started seven failed business before finally hitting big with his store in New York City.

Usually when a woman cries I'm next. I do sometimes get a little disappointed because I sometimes feel like I'm being manipulated. There is crying and there is pretending to cry to get me to do something I might not want to do. The first, I'm right there with the woman. The second I usually end up doing whatever I am supposed to do to stop the crying but then I cuss myself out for the rest of the day. A new study now says men have a biological reason not to like women crying:

http://www.aolnews.com/2011/01/06/chemical-in-womens-tears-turns-men-off-study-finds/?icid=main%7Chtmlws-main-n%7Cdl1%7Csec3_lnk1%7C194003

What is your reaction to the study?

How does cold weather help or hurt your love life? Check out the following study:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110106/ap_on_sc/us_sci_butterfly_sex

Personally I really haven't given a lot of thought to butterfly sex before reading the above article. How about you?

Enough about sex and tears, let's talk about dumb crininals:

http://www.aolnews.com/story/police-drunken-burglar-gets-stuck-inside/1496584/

Who Am I?

I was born in 1759 and died in 1797. I was an eighteenth-century British writer, philosopher, and advocate of women's rights. During my career I wrote novels, treatises, a travel narrative, a history of the French Revolution, a conduct book, and a children's book. I'm best known for arguing that women are not naturally inferior to men, but appear to be only because they lack education. I suggested that both men and women should be treated as rational beings and imagined a social order founded on reason. My personal life encompassed several unconventional personal relationships received more attention than my writing. I died at the age of thirty-eight, ten days after giving birth to my second daughter, leaving behind several unfinished manuscripts. After my death, my widower published a Memoir (1798) of my life, revealing her unorthodox lifestyle, which inadvertently destroyed my reputation for almost a century. Now I am regarded as one of the founding feminist philosophers, and feminists often cite both my life and work as important influences. As a child due to an abusive father I used to lie outside the door of my mother's bedroom to protect her. Frustrated by the limited career options open to respectable yet poor women I decided after only a year as a governess, to embark upon a career as an author. After being rejected by the love of my life I attempted suicide for the leaving a note for him: "Let my wrongs sleep with me! Soon, very soon, I shall be at peace. When you receive this, my burning head will be cold ... I shall plunge into the Thames where there is least chance of my being snatched from the death I seek. God bless you! May you never know by experience what you have made me endure. Should your sensibility ever awake, remorse will find its way to your heart; and, in the midst of business and sensual pleasure, I shall appear before you, the victim of your deviation from rectitude." After the attempt failed I gradually returned to my literary life. After my death Browning & Roscoe wrote of me:

"Hard was thy fate in all the scenes of life
As daughter, sister, mother, friend, and wife;
But harder still, thy fate in death we own,
Thus mourn'd by Godwin with a heart of stone."

If you don't know who I am by know maybe you should know my Thoughts on the Education of Daughters and then you can answer the question, Who Am I?

4 comments:

Pat said...

I saw that thing about tears in the paper today. What a hoot! I must remember to cry more. Or less, depending on the situation. {g}

Butterfly sex? I'm with you--hadn't really thought much about it. I love stories about stupid criminals, and I can contribute something today:

Last night about 10:15, there was a loud knock on the door. I opened it to see two men who were apparently in uniform, though I couldn't see them well through the security door. Being a cautious type and having heard of pretend cops, I kept the security door closed as I talked to them. Seems a neighbor had reported somebody apparently trying to get into a gate (all unlocked) or a window or both at my house. I had heard nothing until the knock, and nothing seemed disturbed. They wanted to find out if I was home. When they left, I called the police non-emergency number because it seemed so odd, but I was informed there were real officers at my address.

So it was real, but puzzling, as anybody in the back of my house would have known I was home, with lights on and tv going and a window open a tad so they would certainly have heard the tv. The front of my house is very well streetlighted and the back has burglar bars, plus which I have nothing of value but what everybody else has--a couple of tvs and a computer. No jewelry of value, no silver, nothing with intrinsic value, so I'm a very poor choice to rob. It's all very odd, and I'd love to know which neighbor saw what.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I don't know, I find it kind of frightening that someone may have been in you yard, maybe they were not robbers but after something else. You are paperwork that they could steal your identity. I'm glad the police came and checked on you. I'm glad you have the kind of house that is protected!

And if you cry in front of me everything I own is yours.

Bill

Lady DR said...

Like Pat, I'm more amused than anything else about the crying thing. Himself gets quite supset when I cry, mostly because he want to "fix" whatever's wrong, so I'm not unhappy. I don't know that I've ever cried to get my way. Usually it's out of sheer frustration or sincere sadness. At this point, I'm not giving the study a great deal of credibility, I'm afraid.


Well, of course cold weather can help your love live. What's more warming than a close warm body?

As to the idiot criminal... you just can't fix stupid, no matter how hard you try.

William J. said...

Hi DR

I suspect nobody here would cry to get what they want but there are those out there that do so.

I think men everywehre are probably celebrating the study. Women probably not so much.

Bill