Wednesday, January 12, 2011

From The Serious To The Light.

At the age of 21, French acting legend Jeanne Moreau was told by a casting director that her head was too crooked, she wasn't beautiful enough, and she wasn't photogenic enough to make it in films. She took a deep breath and said to herself, "Alright, then, I guess I will have to make it my own way." After making nearly one hundred films her own she received the European Film Academy Lifetime Achievement Award.

Today just like life we are going to go from the serious to the light. Each day in our lives is filled with a little of both.

The serious is the article that I got from NPR's Facebook Page.

http://jezebel.com/5730719/the-depressing-realities-of-rape-statistics

There is just so much wrong with that report. I don't even know where to start. How sad we can't be honest and report rapes for what they are, rapes.

Now on to a lighter subject that some women may consider anything but light. Can you be to cute or attractive? Certainly not a problem I have to deal with on a daily basis.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-and-stories/2011-01-12/online-dating-tips-the-perils-of-being-too-attractive/

Life is a journey and her is an article giving you several reasons to take a trip to Mars.

http://www.aolnews.com/2011/01/12/why-volunteer-for-a-one-way-mission-to-mars/

Your comments are appreciated.

WHO AM I?

I was born in 1868 and died in 1983 and am an author, jurist, and women's rights activist. I was the first woman magistrate in Canada, and in the British Empire. I am best known for questinong whether women are persons under the Canadian law. I was part of the famous five, five women who came together to launch the "Persons Case," contending that women could be "qualified persons" eligible to sit in the Senate. The Supreme Court of Canada ruled that they were not. However, upon appeal to the Judicial Committee of the British Privy Council—the court of last resort for Canada at that time. We won our case. I was the third of six children born to a business man father and a homemaker Mom. Dad encouraged his sons and daughters to share responsibilities equally. At the age of 40 I began to actively organize women’s groups where the isolated housewives could meet and discuss ideas and plan group projects. I spoke openly and frankly about the disadvantaged and the poor living conditions that surrounded society. My strong interest in the rights and protection of women and children intensified when I was made aware of an unjust experience of an Albertan woman whose husband sold the family farm and abandoned his wife and children who were left homeless and penniless. At that time, property laws did not leave the wife with any legal recourse. This case motivated me to create a campaign that assured the property rights of married women. With the support of many rural women I began to pressure the Alberta government to allow women to retain the rights of their land. In 1916, I successfully persuaded the Alberta legislature to pass the Dower Act that would allow a woman legal rights to one third of her husband’s property. In Canada’s Senate Chamber the famous five are honored with a plaque that reads, “To further the cause of womankind these five outstanding pioneer women caused steps to be taken resulting in the recognition by the Privy Council of women as persons eligible for appointment to the Senate of Canada." My views on race and sterilization were controversial. Maybe you should do what I did. RETHINKING THE FIRST-WAVE FEMINISIM. That should help you answer the question, Who Am I?

6 comments:

Pat said...

Depressing story about intimidation of rape victims. What are they thinking? Do they just not want to investigate or prosecute?

Interesting about the "beauty" thing. I once worked with a gorgeous woman (nice person, slim, long blond hair, great dresser, AND pretty face) who told me once that she had trouble getting dates because it seemed men were too intimidated to approach her.

I wouldn't volunteer for a trip to Mars, either RT or one-way. And while the idea is very exciting and sexy, I'm not sure we should invest in such a costly project until we've made big strides in solving our own problems here. The robots are doing well; keep them working for a while.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

The thing is how are they going to know how to prevent rapes and how frequent the crime is if they don't use proper statistics and what about prevention programs? Those go by the wayside if the rapes are underreported. It really stinks.

I've heard before that really beautiful women don't get asked out a lot just because of what you said, the intimidation factor. Personaly, it makes no sense to me because wouldn't be better to get shut down by a beautiful woman than one not so beautiful?

There are many days I would prefer to be on Mars then here.

Bill

Lady DR said...

AS always, thought-provoking articles, Bill.

I found the one on rape to be depressing and annoying. If we don't have accurate reports and statistics, how can we deal with the issue, in terms of not only prevention, but adequate treatment for the victims? At the risk of sounding sexist, I suspect many police officers aren't trained in handling rape investigations and the male officers may be uncomfortable in some case and unwilling to believe a man could rape a woman in others. It's the old "she must have asked for it" mentality. The fact that so many cases are being investigated seems to point out that better training and a different attitude is needed, in dealing with rape cases and their resolution, as well as in treatment of the victim.

As to "too cute or beautiful," I suppose there are times when that's the case. However, I sometimes wonder if those who have a few "flaws" are attractive to others because they make up for it (so to speak) with personality and attitude, caring and the like. I've know a few (not many, thank goodness), who thought all they needed was their good looks and trim figures and would be forgiven anything.

Mars doesn't really appeal to me. First off, I don't like two hour plane rides, so nine months in a space ship sounds pretty grim. I also have to admit that, while I like my solitude, not being able to communicate with friends and family via phone and e-mail or whatever, doesn't excite me. Fortunately, I suspect I'm beyond the age of acceptance, so it's not a decision I need to make (g). I do agree with Pat that we'd be better served to spend the money resolving the problems we have here on Earth, in terms of environment, ecology, social issues and the like, before heading to outer space. IF we'd take care of our own planet, we'd have a much better future here.

William J. said...

Hi DR

I added several more sources to get articles from. Two are on Facebook. Raphael House, a shelter for abused women here. And NPR. I really hope that when you come to the blog you will be either entrtained or informed. That is why I appreciate your comment

I found the article on rape madenning. Treatment would be a good side effect of accurate statistics. From the research for my book most police officers get very little training in rape. They get some but not near what is needed in my book.

I truly don't lool at physical looks if I an looking for a date. More important to me is if they like me and if they like to laugh. Give me those two things a women becomes beautiful before my very eyes.

I'm in the opposite camp of you and Pat. What if we discover life on Mars and they have already found the cure for cancer? And maybe we can find on Mars what we need to take care of this planet.

Bill

Lady DR said...

I'd be more inclined to go with your positive expectations of life on Mars, if the article didn't state that the planet used to have some of our attributes (lakes, oceans), but that research indicates life on Mars is current primarily bacterial. I like your thinking and it would be wonderful if it's found to be true.

William J. said...

Hi DR

Really none of us really no for sure until someone actually lands on the planet.

I will give you and Pat that not much came out of the moon landing.

Bill