Sunday, January 9, 2011

A Clueless Idiot Update.

Van Gogh sold only one painting during his life. And this to the sister of one of his friends for 400 francs (approximately $50). This didn't stop him from completing over 800 paintings.

The clueless idiot that I am talking about today, is yours truly. Keeping up with my 2011 themes of just say yes and get up, get going, and get out I went to the company party last night. It was the second event since I adopted that theme that I wouldn't normally have gone to but sucked it up and went. At both of the events I learned something about myself. This could be an interesting year.

I don't know if the rest of you do this kind of introspection but I will at times wonder how people react to and think about what I am about, what I say to them and how I relate to them. I'm just not all that confident in that area and certainly not that confident on how I relate to women. At work I always say small things to my co-workers. I never lie to them. But if they look especially nice that day I will say so. If they are always fun to be around I will also tell them. N was the receptionist last year. She was working last tax season because her own business, a foot reflexology business, was nailed by the economy. She was always fun to be around, always made the effort to look nice, and had an easy laugh. So I told her. After tax season her business made a turn around and it has gotten to busy for her to return this year. The partners of the firm where I work always invite anyone that has worked for them to the party so N was there last night. She sat next to me while we did the "you can steal my gift," gift exchange. This is the conversation:

N "You know you were the first person that made me feel alive in years."

Me "Me?"

N "Yes, you. I flirted with you all tax season and you never did ask me to lunch."

Me. "You were flirting with me? I thought you were just being nice."

N "Isn't that flirting?" "No wonder you are not married."

I learned a couple of things from that exchange. Small things you say to others can have a major impact on them. You just never know how your words will help them or I am sure at times hurt them. And I am really a clueless idiot where women are concerned. I need to take a class in flirting 101 that has a major section on how to recognize when you are being flirted with. Any tips for me? Is it OK to ask a woman the question, "Are you flirting with me?" or would that spoil the moment?

My update. Last week: Two nights at Mom's. The company party. Mom & I went to the heart doctor. I'm doing great and so is mom, neither of us need to return for a year. Dinner out with Sis, B-i-l, and Mom. Made two lucnhes and cooked two dinners at Mom's. Next week: Monday car Clara to the doctor to get her ready for an expected snowstorm. New windshield wipers, etc. Then Monday night I'm watching my Ducks play Auburn. On Wednesday if weather permits me leaving my house (they are predicting as much as a foot of snow Wednesday morning) a night at Mom's. Also on the agenda this week is shopping for a new computer and some new shirts. Again that is if weather permits. If we end up getting as much snow as they are predicting most likely I will be housebound and turn into Jack Nicholson from THE SHINNING.

Entertainment update. The Good Wife returns Tuesday night. YEA!. For you Project Runway fans I thought you would enjoy the following article:

http://www.oregonlive.com/clark-county/index.ssf/2011/01/project_runway_winner_seth_aaron_henderson_designs_dresses_for_vancouver_girl_with_cancer.html

It is now your turn. This is your day on the blog to share whatever you damn well please or whatever you wish to. I really do love hearing about your lives, your concerns, your joys, what you have been up to, and what is on your agenda for next week. Share at will.

8 comments:

Pat said...

Yes, Bill, it seems maybe you should hone your skills at recognizing when a woman is signaling that she's interested. I always took the same tack that N seems to have taken--expressing interest not by fluttering eyelashes, but just by being extra nice and extra interested in what the target man was saying. If he didn't pick up on it, I figured he either was clueless or just wasn't interested. {g}

Whatever, I'm glad she told you how you changed her life and maybe her own evaluation of herself. So? Did you ask her to lunch last night?

Sorry about your predicted weather. Do you have your axe handy for breaking down your own doors and announcing "I'm ba-a-ack" to your nonexistent wife? I hope at least your computer keeps working. You can commiserate with friends across the country who are also predicted to have terrible weather soon. Here in SoCA it's just a little colder than usual, with possibility of more rain.

dona said...

Wow Bill, I am so happy that you decided to suck it up and go to the company party. I mean how else would you have ever known that bit of info unless you went? That is so cool. My first question while reading your post was did you ask N to lunch? Keep us posted!! I am so excited for you.

You know you are the second person in the past 2 days that has told me about some expected snowstorm? And you are both several states apart....and my state is in the middle. It is cold here but no sign of anything upcoming....I guess I need to research that a bit more.

And the Shankster would like to know where you can buy a new computer and some new shirts for the $28 winnings you got from the lottery? :)

Lady DR said...

Good job on going to the Christmas party. An interesting conversation with the receptionist. Yes, do pay attention and do consider you're an attractive guy, in a lot of ways, so if a woman expresses interest in conversation, she may be flirting. I echo Pat's question: Did you ask her out for lunch? Will you, especially since you won't be co-workers? I think, if you like the woman and she seems to like you, I'd skip the "are you flirting" question and move right to "would you like to go to lunch?"

You had a busy week. Ours was relatively quiet, except for celebrating Himself's birthday. Had a really lovely dinner at a place we'd never been to, but to which we shall return. Set up to replicate a Pacific NW lodge, it was quiet, warm, great service and wonderful food and none of the "rushed" feeling in so many restaurants we've tried. I finished one ms, met a client to pick up a ms, have another already in house. Standard pool and line dance schedule.

Our storm is ahead of yours, due to move in somewhere around midnight tonight. Eight inches of snow tomorrow, followed by sleet and freezing rain tomorrow night and Tuesday, temps not expected to get above freezing for the next five to seven days. This is not my idea of the South and I can promise you it will likely bring things to a standstill, as we don't have the equipment or experience to deal with this kind of stuff. They're already warning to be prepared for power outages, as the freezing rain on top of snow will break lines, break tree limbs and, with the summer drought, topple trees. With the freezing temps, who knows when roads will be usable? We're as ready as we're gonna be. Did all the laundry today, laid in supplies Friday and yesterday, have the lanterns and oil and candles. Fortunately, we also have the RV, which has gas stove, furnace, hot water heater and a generator. The only things I may be short on are wine (g) and books (the library was closed for renovations all last week) Will move the car down by the mailbox before the evening is over, so we aren't held hostage by the driveway. Could you all cross your fingers and send good thoughts that the power remains on, please?

William J. said...

Hi Pat

In my defense it was at work and don't you have to be nice to people you work with? Isn't that a law ir something.

It was a nice thing for her to say. I translated that as her saying I made her feel better about herself.

I haven't asked her to lunch yet, but I friended her on Facebook and will ask her out for either lunch or dinner. When the weather is more certain and I know I won't have to cancel.

I still have the axe from the Netstocks.

My computer kept shutting down today. I spent over an hour trying to figure out how to fix it. Then I plugged it in. It should be good to go for the snow.

You certainly have be getting more than your share of the rain.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Dona

Adopting a theme for this year already has impacted my life. I have an alumni event on 2-11. I'm going. Then there is a standup comedy class starting in February, I'm thinking about it.

No to the lunch but yes I will ask her out.

I hope the snow avoids your area because you already have had enough, we haven't had any. I just hope we don't get it all in one storm.

Tell The Shankster I have coupons.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

Thanks for saying I'm attractive, I've never viewed myself as such.

You hit the nail on the head, it isn't a good idea to date co-workers but now that she is free from work I am going to ask her to lunch.

I hope Himself had a great day on his birthday. I know he got to spend it with a beautiful woman. Sounds like a great restaurant.

Ouch re the storm to tonight. It sounds brutal. Our storm also brings things to a standstill. It does sound like you are more than prepared. I will pray that you don't lose power and I am comforted that you can cook in the RV.

Bill

Mary said...

Laughing at the flirting story. Two of my sisters-in-law felt that they were pursuing my brothers quite aggressively, and both brothers just thought they were nice friends. One brother took a year to ask his (future) wife out. LOL! You men!

Don't wait too long to ask her out, she sounds like fun, she's been very clear that she likes you, and if you wait too long it will hurt her feelings.

William J. said...

Hi Mary

Us men really are clueless and I've always said a sledgehammer works best with me.

I won't wait to ask her out.

Bill