Saturday, January 15, 2011

Drugs

Did you know that Louisa May Alcott, author of Little Women, was encouraged to find work as a servant by her family?

The answer to yesterday's Who Am I was Coco Chanel.

I think you would probably need drugs to pronounce the new astrological sign Ophiuchus. Today's Oregonian said that Ophiuchus is pronounced Ooh-FEE-yew-kus. I'm still not going to tackle it.

First up is a disturbing article that was in the above mentioned Oregonian a couple of days ago:

http://www.oregonlive.com/business/index.ssf/2011/01/oregon_sues_johnson_johnson_fo.html

It bothers me that Johnson & Johnson went to underhanded means instead of just issuing a recall.

Second, is another disturbing article:


http://www.dailyfinance.com/story/drug-shortages-a-deadly-problem-with-no-cure-in-sight/19783927/?icid=main%7Chp-laptop%7Cdl3%7Csec1_lnk3%7C195006

I guess I don't understand why there is shortages. Couldn't the drug companies foresee the shortages and produce more of the drugs?

I'm closing with some helpful advise on how to avoid germs. It may help you to avoid conditions that might require drugs they no longer have:

http://www.aolhealth.com/2011/01/11/germs-you-pick-up-everyday-germiest-places/?icid=main%7Chp-laptop%7Cdl4%7Csec1_lnk3%7C195202

Enjoy the day today, on the agenda for me is either The Fighter or The King's Speech. Your comments are always welcome.

6 comments:

dona said...

The Johnson & Johnson article bothered me also. Not a very bright idea. But makes you wonder how many times this has been done and was never found out.

Drug shortages, not too happy with this article seeing how one of mine are on this list....:(

Germ article just goes to show you that you can learn something new everyday. Even though I can't believe I failed to realize this, first up the fruit peels. Now I wash everything BUT the banana peel. Gee what was I thinking?

William J. said...

Hi Dona

I have never washed banana peels but I am going to start now!

Good question on the J & J article, the only reason this came to light is that an employee finked. My guess is it goes on all the time.

I hope the drug that was on the list has a generic drug or one that does the same thing!

Bill

Pat said...

J&J--how tacky! I recommend heavy penalties and maybe a little jail
time.

Drugs--scary! Lots of reasons given, but I'd say "follow the money" a
good part of the time.

Germs--let's not get silly about this. But I did enjoy the warning
about the "souls" of our shoes. Who knew?

Lady DR said...

Unfortunately, the J&J issue isn't all that uncommon. I'd read about it several months ago and there were other companies mentioned who'd done the same thing. Why not be up front, do a recall and let everyone know you're concerned about their health?

Also familiar with the drug shortage issue, through personal experience. About a year ago-maybe less- I was told I couldn't get my thyroid medication from Armour. I'd tried the non-generic Synthroid, with horrible side-effects. Internet research told me I could get my regular meds from Canada, so had my doctor fax a prescription to a Canadian pharmacy with a Seattle outlet. Not covered by insurance, of course, but the cost of the 90 day supply wasn't much more than what it cost here on my insurance. Armour did catch up with demand here and I'm back to my regular pharmacy for the moment, but I had to wonder why Canada had a plentiful supply and the US did not. I've also read several articles stating that drugs we can't get here (like the oncology drugs and such) are readily available from the same pharma companies in third world countries. There's something wrong with this picture and information missing from the article, me thinks, which is a bit scary.

I hadn't thought about rinsing bananas, quite frankly, nor all the people who might handle any kind of produce. I had read the suggestion about taking off shoes, but (shame) haven't followed the suggestion.

Dona, I surely hope there's an alternative for you on the drug issue. Pat, I agree that "follow the money" has a lot to do with the drug shortages and issues. God save us from corporate greed!

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I'm glad Oregon is suing J & J and hope they lose big time.

On the drugs follow the money is right on is my guess.

I don't know I take my germs seriously and I am going to follow a lot of the tips. I think what I will do now besides clean the banana peel is to have a clean pair of shoes by the door.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

I hadn't heard of J & J before but I wasn't all that surprised at their methods, just disappointed in them. I think J & J missed a chance to enhance their reputation instead of destroying it.

I'm glad you were able to get your drug through Canada until Armour caught up with the demand.

I haven't followed the shoe method yet but I will.

Bill