Sunday, January 16, 2011

The King Speech's Update

A Paris art dealer refused Picasso shelter when he asked if he could bring in his paintings from out of the rain. One hopes that there is justice in this world and that the art dealer eventually went broke.

Last week. Oregon loss to Auburn on Monday plus I took both Mom's and my cars to get new windshield wiper blades. Tuesday lunch with Mom. Wednesday dinner with Mom. Thursday dinner with Mom and family. Friday keeping my leg up, it is still not doing well. Saturday the movie The King's Speech. Today work related stuff and getting most of the blog done for the coming week.

This coming week is one of the busiest I have had for a while. Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday are at Mom's. Thursday and Friday are at a seminar. Saturday is Mom's surprise 95th birthday party. Mom's 95th is Friday the 21ST but we are doing a surprise party and are doing it the 22ND because she would figure it out if we did it on the real day. Sister and I are hosting the surprise party at Claim Jumpers in Tigard, Oregon on the 22nd at 4:30. Sis and her husband will tell Mom they are taking her to dinner at her favorite restaurant. Whenever we eat there I always meet them there. So I will go ahead of them, get there early, and welcome twenty of Mom's friends and relatives. There would have been a lot more but Sister and I are hosting it so we really had to budget. We had to stop at first cousins, close freinds that she has known for more than ten years, and first family relatives. When Mom gets there boy is she going to be surprised!

The blog will probably be slow next week. You can expect normal entries Monday, Tuesday, & Wednesday. Thursday won't be a normal entry, it will be an article that I wrote about assault weapons. Friday will be a replay of an entry where I honor my Mom. I will take that entry with me to the surprise party.

The entertainment update. The new cast of The Celebrity Apprentice was announced. Competing this season are LaToya Jackson, Gary Busey, "Real Housewife" NeNe , Star Jones, Lisa Rinna, Marlee Matlin, Dionne Warwick, David Cassidy, John Rich, former "Survivor" champ Richard Hatch, Meat Loaf, Mark McGrath, Jose Canseco, rapper Lil Jon, model Niki Taylor and reigning Playboy Playmate of the Year Hope Dworaczyk. Well, I know some of them.

As part of the entertainment update I am going to highly recommend The King's Speech. Extremely well acted and a great true story. It is British historical drama starring Colin Firth as King George the VI and Geoffrey Rush as speech therapist Lionel Logue, who helped George VI overcome a stammer. Helena Bonham Carter also stars as Queen Elizabeth. While I really loved Timothy Spall's Winston Churchill, Carter's Elizabeth, and Calum Gittins Laurie Logue this movie belongs almost completely to Colin Firth and Geoffrey Rush. Their scenes together on the screen are among the greatest acted scenes in the history of movies. Their relationship is the center of the movie and should be. Don't miss it!

You know the drill, this is your day to tell me all about you and to post whatever you damn well please! Make me happy and tell me all about yourselves!

6 comments:

Pat said...

You are busy, all right! So sorry to hear the leg isn't progressing well. Please try to take time for that!

APPRENTICE: I know some of them, too. Only one I actively like is Marlee Matlin. Some others I'm indifferent to, some I never heard of.

Am starting to work with big computer with email instruction. First big snag is I can't get the case off, so that pretty much ends that for the moment.

Have a great birthday party, and Happy Birthday wishes to your mom.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

Ouch re not being able to get the case off. I hate they way they often package computers and supplies.

I like Marlee and actually hope she wins.

I promise to take time for my leg.

Bill

Lady DR said...

You did have a busy week. I'll put my "nag" with Pat's, about taking care of your leg. If you don't take care of yourself, you can't take care of others. Plus, there's not much you can do from a hospital bed.
The surprise birthday party sounds like great fun and I'm betting your mom will thoroughly enjoy it. More pictures?
Asked Himself to put in the queue for "King's Speech" and he says it's already available on NetFlex TV, so plan on seeing it this coming week.

MY week? A reminder of why we moved south and wondering why we're having winter. Snowed in all week, for all practical purposes. Roads were only ice-free for about two hours in the afternoon, we have 12 snowplows and they used road graders to supplement (not real effective.) No mail until today (yes, delivery on Sunday, since there was none until Wednesday and none to rural routes until today). NO trash pickup (as if we could have gotten the trash to the road). My car being parked on the road let us out briefly Weds and Fri afternoons, although the 100' downhill trek to the car was a challenge. Drive is still covered in ice-crusted snow, but temps are up and they're saying rain tomorrow and temps above freezing tonight and tomorrow, so fingers are crossed. Still have 4" of snow on drive and over yard. We didn't attempt to shovel the 100' drive, because there were no snow shovels to be had. The good news is we kept power throughout. Skeeter is totally befuddled about being "walled in" by white fences, except for the potty area I shoveled out for her Monday. I did get in editorial time and I did Christmas sorted, re-organized and packed away, as of this afternoon (and am paying for it)
Hoping next week will be normal, with editorial, a PT massage tomorrow, lunch hours at the pool and line dance.
Pat, good thoughts on getting the computer back up and running.

William J. said...

Hi DR

I think all they will do is put me back on anti-biotics. The sore is getting smaller it just hasn't healed.

I will try to get pictures. I will have my camera charged.

I hope you enjoy The King's Speech as much as I did, let me know what you think,

You really have had an awful winter. Interesting that they are delivering mail today. The trash pickup would bother me a lot. If it rains and it is above freezing that should do away with the snow and ice in a hurry. I can understand why Skeeter would be befuddled it is upseting his world.

Hope your next week returns to normal in all areas of you life!

Bill

Lady DR said...

Prayers, please. Just talked to Bro and my s-i-l took off Friday AM for PA. Her mom was put in hospital Thurs afternoon with severe pain in her knee, radiating up and down. Ortho says she needs a replacement (she's 92) and is a good candidate. Of equal concern is s-i-l's phone call to her mom this AM, before leaving for the hospital, when Rosie said she was with friends in a nearby town, but would meet Alice on time, then began talking about her husband, who passed 12 years ago. The hope is this resulted from a combination of pain killers and sleep meds, as she seemed coherent this afternoon. Please keep them in your thoughts and prayers.

William J. said...

Hi DR

Of course they have my prayersd as do you. Please keep us informaed as to what is going on.

Bill