Friday, January 21, 2011

Happy Birthday Mom.

I'm at the second day of a two day seminar that starts at eight A.M. It doesn't leave me enough time for a real post. It just so happens that today is my Mom's 95th birthday. I decided to join together two old posts and honor Mom today.

Happy Birthday Mom! May this be a day filled with laughter, love, swapping stories, and sharing life with friends.

You taught me how to laugh at myself.

The funny story about Mom first. From the time I was in the fourth grade until the time I graduated from high school we lived in Klamath Falls, Oregon. My parents owned a Coast To Coast Hardware Store. Mom worked with dad in the store. All of us three kids worked in the store, it was required if we wanted spending money. One Saturday afternoon the store was packed when a man came in, in a hurry and interrupted my mom while she was helping another customer and said to her "I need some nuts and bolts." Mom with her mind on many things and many customers without thinking asked the man in a voice loud enough to be heard throughout the store, "What size are your nuts?" The man turned beet red and raced out of the store trying to avoid the laughter that was ringing throughout the store. Yes, mom gets embarrassed when we tell that story. But she laughs.]

You taught me a good work ethic, you taught me that I matter, you taught me how to love by showing me a mother's love.

Mom worked hard in that store. Six days a week. Then, after work she would come home and fix us dinner. We always had dinner as a family. It was almost required. We never had much money in those days but Mom kept all three of us kids dressed nicely. Maybe we didn't wear designer clothes but we were always clean and presentable. Mom was a magic maker. She stretched what little money her and dad made to give us a comfortable life. We grew up in one of the nicest houses in Klamath. We always had nice birthdays and nice Christmases. We never really hurt for anything. She supported my sister when she became head cheeleader. After work she would drive the yell squad to the games as a chaperone. She supported my brother when he became an All conference football and basketball player. Her and Dad would close the store and take the teams their games. I was really overshadowed by my siblings. My claim to fame is winning an Opie look alike contest. But despite probably being the less talented of the three children Mom was always there for me. When I had my accident Mom was put in the position of having to make a choice between a dying son and a pregnant daughter who in all likelihood was going to lose her baby. My doctor wouldn't let her to travel to my sister because he didn't think I would make it through the night. Sis lost her baby. I was in the hospital for what seemed like an eternity. Mom was at my bed every step of the way. She slept at the hospital for days. When I was out of danger Mom went to Sis. To make what mom was dealing with even more difficult is that she had only been out of the hospital herself just ten weeks on the date of the accident due to cancer surgery. The time was rough but through that time she taught me a mother's love.

Now mom is teaching me how to age gracefully. I know it is hard for her. When you are 95 everyone around you is dying. You lose friends weekly. Sometimes daily. She is in a lot of pain. She has had four heart attacks and four strokes. She keeps on trucking. She gets up everyone morning and faces the day and most days with a smile. She reads four books a week. She beats me at Scrabble. She looks young. I always feel her love.

Thank you for standing behind me when I needed a gentle shove.

Thank you for standing beside me when I needed a friend.

Thank you for standing ahead of me when I needed direction.

Thank you for being you.

Thank you for making me the man I am today.

HAPPY 95TH !! Comment at will. Wish Mom happy birthday if you choose, tell me about your Mom if you desire. I will respond after five tonight. Tomorrow the blog returns to normal. Monday the Who Am I will return.

This is Mom not long before she turned 94.



This is a picture Mom painted when she was in her late eighties:

11 comments:

Mary Z said...

Happy Birthday to a great lady!

Unknown said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

You are a terrific lady, and have raised a wonderful family that is to be proud of. Congratulations.

Lady DR said...

Happy Birthday, Mom! Great picture.

Bill, you didn't mention that, in addition to all her other talents as mother, wife, hard worker and others, she's also artistic. I love the painting you included.

William J. said...

Thank you Mary Z.

Thank you Ernie. Everyone meet Ernie, I went to high school with him and it is nice to see what a really good man he turned out to me.

DR, Mom doesn't think she is that artistic but I love her paintings and some of them have sold. I wish she was still painting.

I will pass on the wishes to her tomorrow night.

Bill

Lady DR said...

Welcome, Ernie. I hope you continue to visit and respond to the blog. Sounds like you know Bill and his mom - Bill and I have often said we think we have the same mom (wry s),given certain circumstances and recriminations, as well as support.

Don't be a stranger, okay?

Pat said...

Missed this yesterday because of an all day eye app't and couldn't see well again until late at night. But let me join in the chorus of birthday wishes. Your mom is a remarkable woman, and I love her painting.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

hope the appointment went well and you eyes are improved today. Thank you for the birthday wishes!

Bill

dona said...

Oops! I also missed the birthday girl wishes yesterday!! Please Let her know I wished her a happy birthday and I am sure you made it happen!

William J. said...

Hi Dona

You made it in time for her surprise party. She thanks everyone that posted.

Bill

SymplyAmused said...

Happy Birthday to your mom! I can't imagine being 95, let alone surviving till I'm 60. Many blessings to her.

Anonymous said...

Hi thеre Dear, aгe уоu really viѕiting this site regulагlу, if so then уou will without
doubt оbtain nіce eхpеrienсe.
Review my website :: Source