Saturday, January 1, 2011

Memories

Sidney Poitier: After his first audition, Poitier was told by the casting director, "Why don't you stop wasting people's time and go out and become a dishwasher or something?" Poitier vowed to show him that he could make it, going on to win an Oscar and becoming one of the most well-regarded actors in the business.

I'm kind of taking the day off today. First there was eleven of nineteen nights at Mom's not to mention the days there during the holidays. Then as soon as I finished at Mom's there was three days in a recliner. This is really the first day I can do some things so I am going for it. I'm also behind on my work and need to catch up on that. Tomorrow the blog will be update day and Monday the blog will return to normal. I will share a holiday memory with you today then its off to play and work.

Watching the rose parade this morning brought back a memory of one of my favorite New Year's Day. Dad was a manager of a hardware story that sold television sets. They wanted him to try out this new thing, color TV, so they gave him a brand new Motorola color television set right before New Year's Day. Of course we were the first ones in the neighborhood to have a color TV. For New Year's Day Mom invited everyone in the neighborhood over to our house for breakfast and to watch the Rose Parade on color TV. All fifty of us in attendance were just awed by the new invention and by Mom's ability to feed us all. Scrambled eggs, hash browns, cinnamon rolls, sausage, ham, bacon, and coffee. Buffet style. Now wonder I still like breakfast and buffets!

What are your memories of the first day of the year?

No comments: