Tuesday, January 4, 2011

The Disappointing, The Obvious, & The Unusual

Stephen King: The first book by this author, the iconic thriller Carrie, received 30 rejections, finally causing King to give up and throw it in the trash. His wife fished it out and encouraged him to resubmit it, and the rest is history, with King now having hundreds of books published the distinction of being one of the best-selling authors of all time.

The answer to yesterday's answer was The Angel Of Tombstone, Nellie Cashman.

The disappointing:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelookout/justice-scalia-women-not-constitutionally-protected-from-discrimination;_ylt=Ak17dlXebVT2uOwm7po1rcKs0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTVwZHJoYm9iBGFzc2V0A3libG9nX3RoZWxvb2tvdXQvMjAxMTAxMDQvanVzdGljZS1zY2FsaWEtd29tZW4tbm90LWNvbnN0aXR1dGlvbmFsbHktcHJvdGVjdGVkLWZyb20tZGlzY3JpbWluYXRpb24EY2NvZGUDbW9zdHBvcHVsYXIEY3BvcwM1BHBvcwMyBHB0A2hvbWVfY29rZQRzZWMDeW5faGVhZGxpbmVfbGlzdARzbGsDanVzdGljZXNjYWxp

The obvious:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110103/ap_on_he_me/us_med_healthbeat_bad_habits

The unusual:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110103/od_nm/us_suicide_garbage_odd

Comment at will.

4 comments:

Pat said...

Scalia is a jerk. It might be a good idea to elect Supreme Court judges--maybe we'd get fewer jerks. It also might be a good idea for them to NOT have a lifetime job, to have to come up for re-evaluation at least every few years.

Yes, the second one was pretty obvious. But I did wonder at the guy who eats popcorn in movies even though he doesn't like popcorn. I think that may be carrying the theory too far. No eating in front of TV? I might never eat dinner again.

I'm not sure how to feel about the guy who was saved by garbage. I do think jumping off a building is a poor way to commit suicide. He'll probably have a long recovery period before trying to do it right the next time. Or maybe he learned a different lesson, who knows?

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I agree with you that we should elect Supreme Court justices or at least limit their terms to six years instead of making the forever. So we are on the same page!

I couldn't watch sports on TV if I quit eating in front of it. I do like popcorn at the movies, my downfall is that I continue to eat it when I am full.

The guy saved my the garbage I give an incomplete. If he takes his second chance on life and does good things then yea, but if goes back into depression ugh.

Bill

Lady DR said...

First, I'm appalled at Scalia's comments and his interpretation. We have laws, we have the Constitution. I'd love to see us throw out all the d*mn Supreme Court and lower court interpretations and go back to the basics, not just on this, but on about everything. And I agree with Pat on limiting terms and possibly doing elections. 'Course, this would throw some judges out of office and dispensing with "based on (whatever) decision/interpretation/ruling," defenses and prosecutions. If we go back to what the Constitution says - literally - and the same with laws, I rather suspect our judicial system might be more equal and just.

Yes, the obvious is obvious. OTOH, it often revolves around recognizing (easy) and removing (not so easy) "triggers" to behavior. If I go with triggers to cease my bad habits, I'd need to give up working at the computer (including work time) and reading, for starters.

The suicide? Yes, unusual. Perhaps there was a reason he survived. Given the aunt's comments about depression and his concerns, I wonder if he'll have the opportunity, during recovery, to discover the reason it wasn't yet his time to go?

William J. said...

Hi DR

I have to wonder how an idiot like Scalia even got confirmed. I like your idea of through the bums out and start all over with the judges, I wouldn't even mind non-attorneys being on the court.'

I have to give up TV but I never eat at the computer.

I hope the guy takes his second chance on life and runs with it.

Bill