Monday, January 17, 2011

Two Part Entry

English crime novelist John Creasey got 753 rejection slips before he published 564 books.

Today is a two part entry, one part for Golden Globe fans and one part for those who don't give a rip about award shows.

GOLDEN GLOBE FANS:

The highlight of the night was Michael Douglas who has been fighting cancer, with the quip "Certainly there has to be an easier way to get a standing ovation." The lowlight of the night was the host Ricky Gervais who was awful and there were even reports that he was fired during the show.

I was disappointed that The Social Network won over The King's Speech as the best movie, I've seen both and The King was much better. I'm glad Colin Firth won the best actor award for The King's Speech. I was disappointed that Jim Parsons won the best actor award for TV comedy. I don't get either his role or the show, The Bing Bang Theory. Yea to both The Kids Are Alright and Annette Bening for their wins as Best Comedy and Best actress in a comedy. Melissa Leo, The Fighter, deserved best supporting actress but so did Amy Adams from the same movie. The Good Wife should have won best TV drama but didn't. You can see a list of the Golden Globe winners here:

http://www.goldenglobes.org/nominations/

Let's talk fashion. Here is a summary of what women chose right and one women chose wrong.

http://fashion.telegraph.co.uk/galleries/TMG8257728/Golden-Globes-2011-red-carpet-fashion-hits-and-misses.html

I disagree on several. Halle Berry was miss for them but a hit with me. Julianne Moore was a hit with them but a miss with me. Sandra Bullock was a hit with them but I hated her hair. Tilda Swinton was a hit with them a miss with me. Nicole Kidman and Eva Longoria were hits with me but off base with them. Heidi Klum was the worst of the night, in my humble opinion.

NON GOLDEN GLOBE FANS:

Stock up on the following items because according to the following article these items will cost more sometime during 2011.

http://www.walletpop.com/2011/01/07/seven-things-that-will-cost-more-in-2011-and-what-you-can-do-abo/?icid=main%7Chp-laptop%7Cdl3%7Csec3_lnk1%7C195247

Do you believe in magic? What about magic mirrors?

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/13/thermo-mirror-measures-body-temperature-gives-us-something-else/?icid=main%7Chp-laptop%7Cdl9%7Csec3_lnk3%7C195300

Let's close the day on a happy note.

http://www.aolnews.com/2011/01/15/world-war-ii-veteran-hilberto-rodriguez-gets-high-school-diploma/

Comment at will:

Who Am I?

I am one of the most well-known Who Am Is used on The Dahn Report. I was born in 1907 and died in 2003. My Mom was a suffragette and her strong views and independence influenced me. As a teenager I was free spirited getting involved in sports such as swimming, skating and gymnastics. I had a fearless streak and was suspended from school for smoking and breaking curfew. I later admitted to going swimming naked in the middle of the night. My motto was; "If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun." My brother committed suicide and that influenced the rest of my life. I married for the first time at age 21. My most famous quote was; "Life is to be lived. If you have to support yourself, you had bloody well better find some way that is going to be interesting. And you don't do that by sitting around wondering about yourself." I started acting on stage and transferred to movies winning my first Oscar at age twenty-six. Despite my successes in my early thirties my career started to decline and was once labeled as 'toxic for the box office' along with Fred and Marlene Dietrich. After the WWII mys career picked up and at age forty-four gained another Oscar nomination. I starred along side Humphrey, Sidney and Henry but made the most films with the actor that Bill's dad was often confused with. Fiercely independent I played an important role in providing a role model for women beyond the dutiful Hollywood blonde bombshell. When I spoke of my own image I said "Everyone thought I was bold and fearless and even arrogant, but inside I was always quaking." I embodied feminine beauty, masculine strength and reserve. My last Oscar was set on a beautiful pond that some even said was golden. Who Am I?

4 comments:

Pat said...

I only watched the first hour, and generally don't care much about award shows, but this one apparently had moments, both good and bad. I was glad Colin Firth and the kid from GLEE won. I disagreed with about half the choices of hit or miss from your link. Nice to see Michael Douglas looking so well, and I loved his line.

Prices going up? So what else is new? Thermo-mirror? Why?

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I'm glad both of didn't agree on the fashion choices. I thought the kid from Glee was a class act with his acceptance speech. Michael Douglas looked amazingly well I thought.

I think a lot of people don't even own thermomators and a mirror would feel that void because we all look in the mirror. Sometimes out of vanity sometimes to shave or comb hair. It would be a good warning of illnesses etc.

Bill

Lady DR said...

Great articles, as usual, Bill. I don't do TV, so watching the GG wasn't on my agenda, but it was fun to see the quote from Douglas.

As to the hits and misses on fashions, I agreed with maybe half of them. Some of the hits you couldn't pay me to wear for any occasions, some of the misses I thought quite attractive.

I think we all know prices are going up, but they do raise some interesting points, most of which I already follow, like coupons and specials and "grouping" errands. Some of them, well, there's just not a lot you can do to control or reduce.

I gotta say, for $1500, I'll probably continue to rely on the old fashioned thermometers.

William J. said...

Hi DR

Douglas is amazing, I'm glad he is recovering.

I was really surprised at some of the hits on the fashion thing. I am old fashioned I guess and prefer simple but elegant and I saw little of that.

Like you I always do multiple errands and even plan the trips ahead of time. I also use coupons.

I will also wait for the price of the mirror to come down.

Bill