Thursday, January 6, 2011

Charming, Troubling, & Taxing

Robert Sternberg: This big name in psychology received a C in his first college introductory psychology class with his teacher telling him that, "there was already a famous Sternberg in psychology and it was obvious there would not be another." Sternberg showed him, however, graduating from Stanford with exceptional distinction in psychology, summa cum laude, and Phi Beta Kappa and eventually becoming the President of the American Psychological Association.

The answer to yesterday's Who Am I was the female Paul Revere, Sybil Ludington.

This is a pretty amazing story that you really would have to be in a cave if you haven't already heard the story:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110106/ap_on_sp_ot/us_odd_homeless_radio_voice;_ylt=AskB7kRbySeeI4VRhtqfnuCs0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTFlbDVwaGpyBHBvcwM2OARzZWMDYWNjb3JkaW9uX3Vfc19uZXdzBHNsawNob21lbGVzc21hbnc-

He has been clean and sober for two years. I really hope that now that he is back in the working world that he won't be under so much pressure that he drinks again.

From the charming story to the troubling story:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110104/ap_on_he_me/us_med_heart_implants

We all know someone that has a heart history. Feel free to pass this story on to them.

From the troubling story to the taxing story:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110106/ap_on_re_eu/eu_romania_witchcraft

I kind of think they should have paid taxes all along. I curse paying taxes but I still have to do it.

Comment at will.

4 comments:

Lady DR said...

Interesting article about the guy and the voice-over, particularly since my brother is going to school to learn to set up his voice-over business, having passed auditions to qualify. Like you, I hope he makes good on his second chance. I found the video of the interview with his mother sad.

The article on the heart procedures is troubling, as you say. Another piece of ironing - in a suspense ms I recently edited, the subplot was a corporation selling implants they knew weren't adequately tested, but didn't want to lose profits while shutting down to retool.

Taxing witches. Interesting idea. I can see how one can tax income of astrologers and fortune tellers, who charge for consultations, but how do you charge for a spell cast by a witch?

Pat said...

I saw the voiceover guy's story, but the tv was tuned so low that I didn't hear his voice, so I went to YouTube and heard it. He should do well if he continues clean and sober.

Not surprised at the pacemaker story. Sometimes docs will do things just to be doing something.

Well, yeah, witches should be taxed just like everybody else if they make money from their "craft". To me, it's all BS, but lots of people fall for it, along with astrology and fortune-telling.

William J. said...

Hi DR

I didn't know your brother did voice overs! Interesting career.
I'm worried about the homeless guy because something caused him to drink and I can't help but think it was his job that he is now going back into. I also found the vidoe of the mom sad.

Ouch on the corporation selling faulty implants. Even if it was fiction I can see it happening.

Spells could be taxed by higher powers.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Pat

That is the thing about the homeless guy, he has been clean and sober for two years, when he starts to go to company meetings, parties, etc can he maintain it?

I can see some benefit to astrology and other occult things but if the make income, they pay the piper.

Bill