Wednesday, January 19, 2011

All Over The Map.

Michael Caine's headmaster told him, "You will be a laborer all your life."

We are all over the map today. First up is a different kind of infidelity:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110113/od_nm/us_money_couples_odd

Does the article surprise you?

Next let's have a beer together:

http://www.newser.com/story/109737/for-good-health-have-a-beer.html

I've read about wine being helpful to the heart but to me beer tastes a little better so I might give it a go.

After drinking a few beers you may want to tackle your tax return. If you decide it is just to much for you right now here are some helpful tips:

http://www.walletpop.com/2011/01/14/seven-tips-for-choosing-a-tax-preparer/?icid=main%7Chp-laptop%7Cdl1%7Csec3_lnk1%7C195807

Looking forward to your comments.

WHO AM I?

I was born in 1939 and am an Australian writer, academic, journalist and scholar of early modern English literature, and am widely regarded as one of the most significant feminist voices of the later 20th century. M father was a newspaper advertising rep' who served in the wartim and mom was a homemaker. At the age of thirty-three I would identify as an anarchist communist, close to Marxism. I believed: that there could be no liberation for women, no matter how highly educated, as long as we were required to cram our breasts into bras constructed like mini-Vesuviuses, two stitched white cantilevered cones which bore no resemblance to the female anatomy. Once I would join a student amateur acting company, the Cambridge Footlights, which launched me into the London arts and media scene. Believing in equality I once posed nude for Oz on the understanding that the male editors would do likewise: they did not. I received my Ph.D. on the topic of Elizabethan drama. I married an Australian journalist but the marriage lasted three weeks. I appeared on conservative William F. Buckley's Firing Line. In his memoir, Buckley recalled that I had "trounced him" during the debate. He wrote, "Nothing I said, and memory reproaches me for having performed miserably, made any impression or any dent in the argument. She carried the house overwhelmingly." On ABC I responded to a question on whether feminism was the only successful revolution of the 20th century saying: "The difficulty for me is that I believe in permanent revolution. I believe that once you change the power structure and you get an Oligarchy that is trying to keep itself in power, you have all the illiberal features of the previous regime. What has to keep on happening is a constant process of criticism, renewal, protest and so forth." I defined THE FEMALE EUNUCH. Who Am I?

6 comments:

Pat said...

Good grief, financial infidelity? I guess most people have a little larceny in their souls.

Beer? Who knew? What I've heard is that small amounts of any kind of alcohol are healthful.

You are still my referral source for a tax preparer. So far, so good.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I'm going to have a small beer tonight when I watch Top Chef.

Thanks for the nice compliment.

I had never even heard of financial infidelity until the article.

Bill

Lady DR said...

Hadn't heard the term "financial infidelity," but the issue isn't all that surprising. I've known some folks who admit to hiding purchases from a spouse and some who have a private stash of cash in the house for security or whatever reason. However, I'm not sure I'd call it infidelity. Secrecy seems more appropriate. All major purchases are discussed in this house, thank goodness. I handle all the accounting and bills, since Himself isn't interested in finances, other than to periodically check to be sure we have some money in the bank.

Like Pat, I was surprised to hear the benefits of beer and that they're very similar to wine. As always, it appears the key is moderation.

You had to bring up taxes, didn't you? Sigh. I need to get my copy of TaxCut (now known as H&R Block Home, for whatever reason) and at least make some sort of start, to see where we are. Maybe tomorrow, she says with a Scarlet curtsey.

William J. said...

Hi DR

I was kind of surprised not by the issue but by the thirty percent. I think the term financial infidelity my be a little strong.

If I were married I would hope both of us would be involved in the finances. I like the way you handle finances in your marriage but nosey me wonders if something happened to you could Himself transition to taing care the finances.

Moderation is the key in all aspects of life.

Ooops sorry about bringing up taxes! Because of the lateness of the tax laws being extended this might not be a bad year to wait a little while.

Bill

Lady DR said...

Nosy you asks a question that bothers me. Quite frankly, I think the answer is 'no.' This is a man who never balanced his checkbook, before we were married, just took the bank at its word. I think it started when he was working in Africa and we had no communication (beyond a 5 minute phone call once a week) for the first several years, which meant I not only handled the bills, but often had to make financial decisions on my own when he was gone. We kinda have the reverse of the old stereotype of the woman having no idea of where the finances are, so long as she can buy groceries and has "pin money." I know that's not a good thing, but have had little success in getting him involved in the day to day or long term financial issues, thus far. What is, is. Right or wrong, good or bad. I guess I really need to make up an SOP, in the event he ever has to take over.

William J. said...

Hi DR

It is a question I asked everyone of my married clients. The first time they met me I wouldn't meet them unless both husband and wife were in the meeting. I had and have seen to many horror stories about one or the other, usually the wife, being left behind without any knowledge of finances, in one case the wife didn't even know how to write a check. I blame it on our school systems for not teaching finances, everyday finances.

I am willing to help Himself if anything happens to you so let him know that.

Bill