Thursday, January 13, 2011

Cross-Eyed Opossums & Breast Implannts

Soichiro Honda was turned down by Toyota Motor Corporation during a job interview as "engineer" after World War Two. He continued to be jobless until his neighbors starting buying his "home-made scooters". Subsequently, he set out on his own to start his own company. Honda. Today, the Company has grown to become the world's largest motorcycle manufacturer and one of the most profitable automakers - beating giant automaker such as GM and Chrysler. With a global network of 437 subsidiaries, Honda develops, manufactures, and markets a wide variety of products ranging from small general-purpose engines and scooters to specialty sports cars.

The answer to yesterdays Who Am I was a woman much ahead of her time, Emily Murphy.

Today we are all over the map. First up is a very taxing situation:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110112/od_nm/us_argentina_tax;_ylt=ApParXeziBqWJtR3ZNEDcbis0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTFmb3BtcG45BHBvcwMyMDQEc2VjA2FjY29yZGlvbl9vZGRfbmV3cwRzbGsDYnJlYXN0aW1wbGFu

Next up is an unusual animal that is making rounds on all the news shows:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110112/ap_on_re_eu/eu_germany_animal_magnetism;_ylt=AikfzGfwTW_2tu1dz0a7wGys0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTFpa2trMTdtBHBvcwMzOQRzZWMDYWNjb3JkaW9uX21vc3RfcG9wdWxhcgRzbGsDbGF0ZXN0Z2VybWFu

I'm closing today's entry with what I would classify as an inspirational story.

http://jobs.aol.com/articles/2011/01/06/mamane-myjewelrybox/?icid=main%7Chp-laptop%7Cdl4%7Csec3_lnk3%7C195004

Comment at will.

4 comments:

Lady DR said...

Love the Honda story. I kinda wish high school seniors and/or college students had a class where all these stories were some kind of required reading. Too many students are told they "can't" do something by too many teachers, as several here are well aware.

The taxing thing -- Items I'd not thought about, quite frankly (g).
The opossum - she is darling, but I'm not sure she's so unusual and I do wonder what draws media attention and why (but then, I've wondered that for a lot of years and not just about animals!)

Great story on the spurned lover and his current success. I'm well aware of the horrendous markup on jewelry, particularly in upscale jewelry store. When Lord's closed here, I picked up a couple pieces of sterling silver at 70% off and I suspect they didn't lose a lot of money on their close-out prices. Makes me ever so fortunate, having my own personal designer and jeweler (G).

I keep looking for a report on your leg... what's the word, my friend?

Pat said...

I agree with DR that students should hear more about "failures" making good in the end. Kids should know that there's life after high school. Even after college and an early failure or two. And I'd also like to know how your leg is doing. I assume it's healed or well on its way or we'd have heard.

I say good for those Argentine tax inspectors. While I don't love taxes, everyone should pay their fair share, even implant surgeons. Maybe especially implant surgeons.

Heidi, at least from her file photo, is the cutest 'possum I've ever seen. I've seen a few, and wouldn't call any of the others "cute". I do tend to agree with the animal rights activists, though, that such "fame" probably doesn't help the animals at all.

Not sure I find the diamond guy's story all that inspirational, but hey, good for him anyway. I hope he and his model fiancée have a happy life. Nice ring.

William J. said...

Hi DR

Leg is healing but not healed most likely if it isn't healed by Monday it is back to the doctor so prayers and good vibes would be appreciated.

I would love if the schools had a class titled "From Failue To Success"

The media is making a star out of the opossum but I do think cross eyed and blue eyes are a bit unusual. I think the number one goal should be the health of the animal.

I don't buy jewelry so I am kind of surprised at the markup. What a steal you got when Lord's closed! Your designers jewelry is better than what the dude in the article makes!

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Pat

It looks like we all agree that students should learn that failure isn't the end it often can become the beginning.

See DR re leg.

I with you re taxes, everyone follows the same rules, you earn you pay.

I thought Heidi was pretty cute too. I agree with you and the animal rights activists.

I would like to be a successful as the diamond guy.

Bill