Friday, January 28, 2011

Weird Friday.

Enrico Caruso's music teacher said he had no voice at all and could not sing. His parents wanted him to become an engineer.

The really weird plan:

http://www.newser.com/story/110781/convicts-suicide-plan-be-bear-food.html

I can think of a lot better ways to commit suicide. I'd never do it because, frankly, I think it is the coward's way out.

The weird journey.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110127/ap_on_sc/us_sci_out_of_africa

I think it is important that we discovered people left Africa a lot earlier than we previously thought. I'm just not sure why it is important.

The just plain weird. Did you know that January is named after the two-headed Roman god, Janus? Makes the following article even more weird. It is kind of sad in places and eerie in others.

http://www.aolnews.com/2011/01/28/two-headed-calves-camel-sharks-make-january-a-doubly-weird-mon/

Brings the phrase "two-faced" to a new level.

I'm off to see THE FIGHTER. Will look forward to you comments and insights when I return.

WHO AM I?

I was born in 1885 and died in 1952. I was a German psychoanalyst and psychiatrist of Norwegian and Dutch descent. My theories questioned some traditional Freudian views, particularly his theory of sexuality, as well as the instinct orientation of psychoanalysis and its genetic psychology. As such I am often classified as Neo-Freudian. My father was a cruel disciplinary figure, holding his son Berndt in higher regard than myself. From roughly the age of nine I changed my perspective on life, becoming ambitious and somewhat rebellious. I felt that I could not become pretty and instead decided to vest my energies into my intellectual qualities—despite the fact that I was seen by most as pretty. Mom left dad when I was twenty-one and took us children with her. I entered medical school against my parent's wishes. It was during my time as a medical student that I met my husband and gave birth to a daughter, who the first of three daughters. I became a correspondent of Sigmund Freud who regarded me as an extensively gifted analyst and teacher of psychoanalysis. My first career posting in the United States was as the Associate Director of the Chicago Institute for Psychoanalysis. When I lived in Brooklyn I developed and advanced my composite theories regarding neurosis and personality, based on experiences gained from working in psychotherapy. If you are not sure who I am maybe you should think about THE NEUROTIC PERSONALITY OF OUR TIME. Who Am I?

4 comments:

Pat said...

All your links are pretty darned weird today, Bill. Having a weird day?

Well not the "out of Africa" one, tho' I don't know why it's important either.

Lady DR said...

You're right - weird stuff, in various respects. As to the convict - why not just the overdose? Why rely on the bears to do the post- mortam housekeeping?

The story on Africa- I cannot tell you how many research reports, articles and such I read on this while working on Landrum's tomes. Actually, there are numerous scientists, anthropologists and such who have contended there were two separate desporas (I think that's the term they used) from Africa, thousands of years apart, and that one took the northern route and one the southern route. They think this helps explain physical differences that developed in human beings hundreds of thousands of years ago, those going north becoming generally lighter skinned, with more body fat, because of climatic considerations (less sun, more cold) I'm not sure why this is considered "breaking news," since I was working with data that was often dated in the eighties and nineties.

The "two-headed" animals are probably only "news" because of the god Janus and the month January. This kind of begs the question - how many Siamese twins are born in January, as compared to other times of the year?

William J. said...

Hi Pat

Some days I just take what comes across my desk in the order it comes across. After three days at Mom's I was kind of tired and these were the first three things.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

I agree with you about the convict. It seemed like a bad plan. If life insurance was involved I don't know if it would have paid off without a body.

Interesting comments about Africa. I didn't realize the impact on people leaving early and the traits they would have developed.

I agree the two-headed animals would be a lot less important at different times during the year.

Bill