Thursday, March 17, 2011

Going Green

The answer to yesterday's Who Am I was Caroline Lucretia Hershel.

Hope you are going green today. I would hate for any of you to be pinched. Happy St. Patrick's Day. Do ever wonder what the history of St. Patrick's Day is? I have at time. I'm not really Irish but I must look like I am because several have asked if I am Irish. That did make me wonder about the history of going green on March 17 each year.

http://wilstar.com/holidays/patrick.htm

I didn't know he was originally a pagan, did you?

Are you serving a special lunch or dinner today?

Here are some pretty good ideas:

http://www.kitchendaily.com/st-patricks-day/classic-irish-recipes/?icid=main%7Chp-laptop%7Cdl8%7Csec3_lnk2%7C206263

Chocolate Guiness Cake with Irish Cream Caramel Sauce sounds pretty good.

In some circles Saint Patrick was considered to be a hero, so in honor of today let's end today's post with a good story and honor a young hero.

http://www.parentdish.com/2011/03/16/girl-saves-sister/?icid=main%7Chp-laptop%7Cdl11%7Csec3_lnk1%7C206265

The word of the day is Celebrate. I am doing so with a dinner out with the family. I hope you enjoy the day. I'm looking forward to your thoughts about today's post.

4 comments:

Pat said...

So Patrick was originally a Pagan. Nope, didn't know that. Or much of anything else about him, either. No special lunch or dinner today, but my book group promises to have Irish treats of some kind. I am reminded that I haven't cooked corned beef and cabbage for many years. Hard to do when you're serving one person, but next time company comes, maybe...

Heartbreaking story about the young heroine. I hope somebody comes through and gets a good prosthesis for her missing leg.

Lady DR said...

Even though I'm Irish, I don't possess anything that's "Irish green." I can see why folks think you're Irish - you do have the look.

Thanks for the history. I knew some of it, but not that he'd been a pagan as a child.

No special foods today, due to scheduling. Will celebrate this weekend. I'll throw the corned beef and trimmings into the crock pot and make the soda bread in the bread machine. The cake sounds wonderful, but it's not going to happen here.

What a story about the gal saving her sister. And what a price she paid, at such a young age. I sincerely hope she'll have an excellent prosthesis, as well as physical, occupational and mental therapy.

We didn't celebrate today. I had a mole removed for biopsy and came home to learn one of our credit cards had been hacked for over a thousand dollars (through the bank's system, nothing we did) for the second time in six months. I'm thinking, when the new card arrives, we won't activate it, but simply return it.

Okay, second time I've typed this - the blog wouldn't let me post first time out.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

That kind of surprised that Patrick was a Pagan first.

Irish treats at a book club sounds like a nice evening.

While I thought the story was heartbreaking I also thought it was heartwarming that she loved her sister so much that she risked so much to save her.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

I didn't know you were Irish. Hope you had a great day yesterday!

Sounds like I liked be in S.C. this weekend where someone is cooking what sounds like a darn tasty dinner.

I know in my heart that someone will read the young girls story and step up with help for her. If anyone derserves help she does.

I hope the biopsy didn't show anything. What a nightmare having your credit cards hacked. What a nightmare to straighten out. At least since it was the bank, there is no doubt where the liability is.

Bill