Saturday, March 12, 2011

Laughing Elephants.

The answer to yesterday's Who Am I was Betty Friedan.

My heart just goes out to those killed or injured in Japan and their families. The destruction is unbelievable. The Japanese are strong and I know they will pull together and rebuild better then ever. Peace be with them.

While my heart is with those in Japan, I can't help but ask the question, would the United States be ready for a disaster that huge?

http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-and-stories/2011-03-11/japan-tsunami-why-america-isnt-ready-for-a-disaster/

After that article we need a laugh:

http://www.aolnews.com/2011/03/10/no-joke-americas-first-laughing-competition-guffaws-off-ground/

Are you going to enter the contest?

Do you have the memory of an Elephant? Do you believe in teamwork?

http://www.aolnews.com/2011/03/10/elephants-prove-intelligence-through-teamwork-video/

Does the article surprise you? It doesn't really surprise me.

Off to spend the day on getting all my work done at home. I want to be caught up just in case what I expect to happen, happens. I have this feeling that someone may be let go at work & we are all going to have to pitch in to make up for it. I may be off base and completely wrong but I'm not the only one upset with the previously mentioned employee. When you stop acting like an adult and think people are "sabotaging" you, you have one foot out the door.

Enjoy your weekend

2 comments:

Lady DR said...

Like you, my heart continues to go out to those in Japan and the devastation that's so widespread. The bit from the Newsweek correspondent (link) was a telling essay on the attitude of the people.

Are we prepared? No way. I think Katrina showed just how unprepared we are for a natural disaster or any other kind of disaster. I've seen nothing to indicate we learned anything. Well, maybe we learned about territory and turf and politics and how unprepared we are, but nothing that we learned has been implemented to any real degree. Living in FL, we did have a disaster plan of sorts and learned to be prepared to either evacuate, with necessities from paperwork to food or to exist without power and water for up to two weeks, but I suspect that's true of only a very small minority of people in this country and I wouldn't depend on the gov't at any level being prepared.

I like the idea of laughter. Not sure about the contest factor, but I do believe laughter is great medicine and, yes, there are times/people who make it contagious, which is a good thing.

Not surprised by the article on elephants. Given the ability of wild animals to survive in any number of circumstances, I've always thought we gave them less than fair credit for intelligence.

Sorry to hear things may become burdensome in the office. Also sorry the guy in question has managed to upset enough people that he may be asked to leave. Is it too late for them to bring in someone to take over the work he was expected to do? Is this the year you're really going to retire?

William J. said...

Hi DR

The attitude of the people is amazing. They are strong.

Good point about Katrina. We are supposed to have a disaster plan here but really don't. There are never any drills for the public or for schools. We are the only city that opted out of the Federal Terrorist Prevention group.

It has been proven over and over again that laughter is healthy. The contest sounds a little stressful though.

I'm with you, we have always given animals less than fair credit for their intelligence.

I've never seen a man in their sixties behave like he does. He blames his mistakes on everyone else. Because he doesn't take responsiblity for them he doesn't improve.

Two incidents from yesterday. The boss sent out an email yesterday wanting to know what returns we hadn't started. All that means is someone is running out of work and they will shift returns to those needing work. He thought it meant they were taking returns away from him because they were getting ready to fire him.

Then later. C is the longest term employee other than the bosses. She is very nice and very helpful.
He went and asked her a question, she said she didn't know the answer and to ask M, the female boss. When he went to M. she said not to be bothered by it as it was OK. He immediately came to me desk and said "I just got sabotaged
by C." I said no you didn't she just didn't know the answer. I wanted to say a heck of lot more like this is a professional office not a grade school and grow up but it really isn't my place. And that is why I think he is going to get fired, you don't accuse and take on the longest term employee when you are the newest.

As to when I am going to retire, it really depends on funds. I'm about 70% recovered from the financial crash. But I have made up my mind if S isn't fired and comes back next year, I won't. I don't want to deal with that childish b.s

Bill


Sorry to hear things may become burdensome in the office. Also sorry the guy in question has managed to upset enough people that he may be asked to leave. Is it too late for them to bring in someone to take over the work he was expected to do? Is this the year you're really going to retire?