Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Religion, CPR, & Hobbies

It is back to work today since I'm feeling pretty good.

I really do try to find some interesting articles for the blog and also try to cover several different subjects. I will most often stay away from religion and politics. They just two subjects where people are pretty set in their beliefs and you stand a good chance to offend someone. However, today I found the following article about religion pretty fascinating. Make sure you click on "read the full article."

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/viewnews.php?id=202620

One of the reasons I love living in Oregon is that we just do things differently. I've stated before that Ashland is by far my favorite city in Oregon. The following is one of the reasons why:

http://www.aolnews.com/story/oregon-firefighters-trained-to-give-cpr/1676810/

We have talked about hobbies before. Unusual hobbies. What do you think your doctor is up to after hours? You might be surprised.

http://www.aolnews.com/2011/03/21/philadelphia-breast-surgeon-moonlights-as-knife-thrower/

Enjoy the day!

WHO AM I?

I was born in 1889 and died in 1957, I led the life as an educator, diplomat and poet and won the Nobel Prize in Literature. Central themes in my poems are nature, betrayal, love, a mother's love, sorrow and recovery, travel, and Latin American identity as formed from a mixture of Native American and European influences. As a youngster I attended the Primary school taught by my older sister. My father abandoned the family before I was three years old. Throughout my early years I was never far from poverty. By age fifteen I was supporting myself and mother. Although my formal education had ended by the time I was eleven, I was able to get work as a teacher thanks to my older sister. I was able to rise from one post to another because of my publications in local and national newspapers and magazines. After spending two years in Mexico I traveled from Laredo, Texas to Washington D.C. where I addressed the Pan American Union, went on to New York, then toured Europe. After I returned home to Chile where I formally retired from the nation's education system, and received a pension. I was the first Latin American, and fifth woman, to receive the Nobel Prize in Literature. I received the award in person from King Gustav of Sweden. At age 67 I died in New York from pancreatic cancer. Nine days later my body was returned to Chile where the Chilean government declared three days of national mourning, and hundreds of thousands of Chileans came to pay me their respects. My most famous quote lives on: “We are guilty of many errors and many faults, but our worst crime is abandoning the children, neglecting the fountain of life. Many of the things we need can wait. The child cannot. Right now is the time his bones are being formed, his blood is being made, and his senses are being developed. To him we cannot answer ‘Tomorrow,’ his name is today.” Who Am I?

5 comments:

Positive Thoughts said...

See the power of positive thoughts within you.

Lady DR said...

The article on God's possible wife was interesting. I'd really never considered it and it's certainly never been brought up in any Bible study I've ever been involved in, regarding the Old Testament. I rather imagine it will raise a brouhaha among a bunch of folks.

I think the CPR for pets makes sense, treating them after the human owners. Losing a pet can be as traumatic (or more so) than losing a house of belongings. The latter are material things to be replaced. A pet is often a family member.

Interesting about "hobbies." Not sure I'd want a knife-throwing trophy winner doing my surgery, to be honest, regardless of what type of surgery (wry s)

Pat said...

There is so much contradiction in ancient texts, including the Bible. To me, it's all just academic folderol, though it's kind of fun to think of God having a wife, even if she was married to another god at the same time.

I like that firefighters in Ashland will try to save pets after they've tended to people. I wonder if other fire departments do that.

Nice hobby that breast surgeon has. Good for eye-hand coordination and probably keeps him out of trouble. However, if he were to operate on me, I'd want it in the contract that he stay right by the operating table. No incisions from across the room, please.

Do you believe that reporter really let the doc throw around him? I don't. I'd have to see a twoshot.

William J. said...

Hi DR

I never even thought about the possibility of God having a wife until I read the article. I am standing back waiting for the reaction to the article.

I like the idea of CPR for pets. They really are part of the family and families during a disaster are dealing with enough and if they can keep them from losing a pet, I'm all for it.

I am fine with the knife throwing docotor as long as they don't throw knifes when they are operating on me.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I was kind of surprised the article was written by an athiest. It seems the best questions and thoughts about religion come from them. I wonder if that means Christians are less likely to challenge the norm or to think outside the box.

I hope other fire departments save pets.

LOL. I loved your response about the knife throwing doctor. Now that I think about it a contract is a good idea.

I do believe the reporter let the doc throw around him but only after several precaustions.

Bill