Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Luck, Lines, & Iodide

The week will be half over at noon. I'm looking forward to the weekend because I always get a lot done on Saturday and get to spend time with Mom on Sunday. I also run errands for both Mom and I and sometimes I have to put up with long lines. What is worth to you to be first in line?

http://www.walletpop.com/2011/03/15/man-pays-900-to-be-first-in-line-for-ipad-2-joins-long-line-of/?icid=main%7Chp-laptop%7Cdl8%7Csec3_lnk3%7C206136

I don't think I'd pay to be first in line and if I did I wouldn't give nine hundred bucks and you?

Sometimes the purpose of my blog is to provide information and sometimes warnings. Here is a combination of both:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110316/ap_on_he_me/us_med_radiation_pills

Don't let the fear of radiation cause you to do stupid things that could hurt your health.

Are you lucky? We all need a little luck, don't we? Well the man in the following video certainly had luck on his side:

http://newslite.tv/2011/03/15/pedestrian-has-lucky-escape-fr.html

Off to slay a few tax returns at work. Looking forward to your comments.


WHO AM I?

I was born in 1750 and died in 1848. I was a British astronomer, as was my brother. My most significant contribution to astronomy was the discovery of several comets. At the age of ten I was struck with Typhus, a bacterial disease spread by lice or fleas. This disease stunted my growth and I never grew past four foot three. Due to this deformation, my family assumed that I would never marry and that it was best for me to remain a house servant. I possessed incredible dexterity in polishing mirrors and mounting telescopes involving astonishing discipline which my brother did not have. My brother was my love and I became very bitter when he married. His wife tried to get along with but she never succeeded. I did not abandon my astronomical studies after my brother died, continuing to verify and confirm his findings, At age 85 I was elected to honorary membership of the Royal Astronomical Society; one of the two who were first honorary women members. At the age of I was awarded the Gold Medal for Science by the King of Prussia. I died at age 97, prior to my death my health continued uninterrupted, my faculties perfect, and my memory clear. An interesting fact about me was that even though I had many scientific accomplishments, and was able to discover and achieve what most men were unable to in the 1800s I lacked the knowledge of multiplication. I never learned my multiplication tables because I had to learn them so late in life; therefore I always carried a table on a sheet of paper in my pocket to aid me while working. You know of glass slippers and Cinderella but do you know of the Celestial Cinderella? If you do you will be able to answer the question, Who Am I?

4 comments:

Pat said...

I try to avoid lines at any cost, so it wouldn't occur to me to pay to be first in line. Unless someone would settle for a couple of bucks, but how likely is that? I guess with age comes more ability to wait until there are no lines. It doesn't quite make sense, but it seems to work that way.

I've been hearing a lot about the potassium iodide pills, but nobody seems to have information about how much should be taken in case of a threatened exposure, or for how long. At the moment, it's the last of the things I'm worried and depressed about regarding Japan's nuclear problems. I did find this sentence in the article interesting, though: "My feeling is I would have every household within of a plant have it in their medicine cabinet,"

Within what? How many miles? They kind of forgot the important thing in the sentence.

The guy in the video is to be commended for his timing. He is indeed lucky not to be mashed. Had I been where he was, I'd have probably fainted dead away.

Lady DR said...

I can't imagine paying big bucks to be first in line for anything, let alone an ipad (what the heck is that?)I honestly can't think of anything I want that much. I recall news stories of people camping out, waiting for the release of dolls, toys, computer software releases. I guess "things" just aren't that important to me. 'Sides, I'm not big on standing in line to begin with.

I think the key issue in the radiation article is that the "magic pill" will only protect the thyroid, is most important to children and probably not effective for anyone over forty. In the event of a nuclear disaster, I think there are a lot of other issues to consider. I also think the pills should go first to children and pregnant women, those at highest risk. Call me an optimist, but I don't think the US is in danger of contamination from Japan's reactors.

Yeah, the pedestrian was one lucky guy and I hope he's thanking God for his escape. I'd say the folks in the car were darned lucky as well, based on the report.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I stood in really long lines in college each year for class regiatration. I hated it and promised myself I wouldn't stand in line again. I kept that promise until I stood in line for several hours to get Who Wants To Be A Millionaire. There were people that day selling places in line for hundred bucks. I liked the group I was with so I didn't sell my spot.

I've heard that the iodide pills can effect the medications you are taking and make them useless. I'm not that worried about it either but some people apparantly are since Walgrens & Rite aid have sold out of them according to the local news.

The Japan news and related pictures are depressing. My heart just goes out to everyone there.

I'm with you re the lucky guy, I would have fainted.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Dr

See my note to Pat re standing in line. An Ipad is like a hand held computer.

I agree with about the magic pill. In the case of a nuclear disaster that is near me, I have a plan. I am going to put my head between my legs and kiss my fanny good bye. I agree that pills to children first, pregnant women second second, women third, and men fourth. The reason I put women ahead of men is they can carry on the population and men can't.

Everyone in that video was lucky for different reasons.