Sunday, March 27, 2011

A Taxing Update

I always like Sundays. Love to read the Sunday paper with a good cup of coffee and a nice breakfast sandwich while checking out the coupons. Then on the blog it is the most relaxing day of the week for me because I get to do my favorite thing, hear about what is going on in your lives.

Since this was a taxing weekend for me (I finished my taxes) I thought I would share some tax advise for the readers here:

http://www.walletpop.com/2011/03/11/five-tax-season-secrets-from-a-tax-pro/?icid=main%7Chtmlws-sb-n%7Cdl7%7Csec3_lnk1%7C207426

I agree with most everything in the article it makes a ton of sense.

Last week. Three and a half days at work. One and a half days at home being sick. I did find out that they really care about me at work. They went overboard offering to take work away from me if I am feeling stress. The bosses both came back to talk to me. I thought they would be upset that I missed work at a busy time, instead they were afraid they were working me to hard. It makes me want to please them even more. The problem dude at work is still there and seems to be improving. I decided to take a different approach with him. I told him this week that I was glad he was there because he was making me look good. I took mom out to lunch last Sunday and fixed lunch and dinner for her Saturday. Sis, Brother-in-law, Mom, and I went out to dinner on Thursday. In between I finished a work project for Mark and did my own taxes. When completing my tax return I had a four word reaction, damn I am poor.

On the agenda this week. Today is taking mom out for lunch, finishing another assignment for Mark, and do the Who Am I questions for the week. Then next week there will be six days of work. Crunch time so I am going to give another day to the firm. On Wednesday I plan on taking lunch to Mom on my break and I am sure there will be a family dinner in there some where.

Update on my friends Mark & Sandy. Mark had in office surgery for prostate cancer on Tuesday and is doing well. I'm worried about him not taking care of himself because Sandy has been in the hospital since last Sunday. A virus has got into her lungs and she can't get oxygen. After his surgery on Tuesday he has been spending twelve to fourteen hours a day at Sandy's bedside. While I think he is being the best husband ever I think he needs to rest and take care of himself or he isn't going to be able to take care of anyone. The last report is Sandy may be going home today. Your positive thoughts, prayers, and anything you can muster to throw their way will be appreciated.

The entertainment update. I thought the cast for this season's Dancing With The Stars left a lot to be desired. Then I was knocked of my toes because this was one of the best opening nights of DWTS ever. They were all having a ball and what a shock but Kirstie Alley can really shake it. I picked the Karate Kid last week to win it and he had the highest score but Alley wasn't far behind. Then we have football player, Hines Ward, watching him dance you just knew he was thinking, "I don't care what my score is, I'm having fun." On Celebrity Apprentice Nikki Taylor was eliminated but gained everyone's respect including mine because she took responsibility and didn't throw anyone under the bus. On The Amazing Race, my favorites, the cowboy dudes finished first and the former NFL cheerleaders, Jaime & Cara got sent packing.

That is my update now give me yours! The blog is now yours to do what you please or post what you please.

6 comments:

Lady DR said...

First, Mark and Sandy. Sounds like good news on his in-office surgery. Sounds not so good for Sandy and I hope she's able to come home today. If you can talk to Mark, point out to him he can't take care of Sandy, if he doesn't take care of himself. Been there, done that and you wear yourself out, get tired and cranky, sometimes resentful, open yourself to being sick. You've been there, yourself, so I'm just adding my voice to yours.

Good article on the taxes. I agree with most of it, do most of it, except I still do my own taxes, owing to a couple bad experiences with accountants and the help and encouragement of a professional tax accountant who's a friend and said I could handle it (g).

You had another busy week. Glad to know the firm knows how fortunate they are to have you. Good job on finishing your taxes.

I saw the chiro on Weds and the massage therapist Thurs. Think we're making some progress (yea!)Pool five days and an hour at line dance, altho I didn't dance much. Closing in on finishing the current project and hope to be on schedule for completion. Almost two hours in the yard, clearing the landscape island, raking and mulching leaves and getting most of it "top dressed" and ready for planting. When I decide what to plant (wry s). Played with the hat I'm making for a radiation-chemo patient, started a new cowl collar, decided to learn to knit continental (European) technique. A creative challenge.

Next week looks like standard editorial hours, pool therapy, line dance, see Rogers for the biopsy report, hopefully finish and file the taxes.

Pat said...

First, lots of good wishes to Mark and Sandy. Good advice from DR.

I'm glad to hear you are so much appreciated at work. I wonder how your co-worker took that remark. I'd call it, er, faint praise.

I'm not watching DWTS, really, but I did see Kirstie Alley and was surprised how well she did. She and Ralph Macchio are the only two I'd heard of before. Some "stars".

Sorry to see Nikki go on APPRENTICE. She was classy about it, but she got railroaded. I thought Star Jones would be the show's prize bitch, but seems it's Dionne W. I wouldn't mind seeing her depart. Gary Busey is nuts, but maybe if he stays on meds, he'll calm down.

dona said...

First up are more prayers for Mark and Sandy. He definitely needs to be watching out for himself more as he will be more help to Sandy when she gets home.

I am glad to know the bosses let you know just how valuable you are. We all here know it and they should too.

I am with you on DWTS Kirstie and Ralph. Honestly they are the only 2 I really know about so I am rooting for either one.

As it seems to be any more on any of these reality shows, the bitchiness or back stabbing makes me not want to watch. Celebrity Apprentice is bad for that this season. I agree that Miss Dionne and Miss Star are the 2 that seem to be the worst. I think the last 2 project managers were railroaded.

Looking forward to watching Amazing Race tonite, I do like the cowboys. :)

William J. said...

Hi DR

I told Mark that if he didn't take care of himself I would come to Palm Springs and beat him up. He said he would be careful.

I always encourage people who want to try their own to go for it and good friends I am always available for helpl

I am really glad you are making progress with the chiro and am glad you fit in the pool and line dance. What a nice thing to do for a radiation-chemo patiens.

I am hoping for the best re bioosy report and hope you will let us know the results.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Pat

Thanks for the good wishes re Mark and Sandy they are just really good folks.

The co-worker laughed at the remark. I help him more than anyone there and it at times does cut into my work.

I wasn't going to watch DWTS but there wasn't anything else on that night and now I am glad I did becuase this group while maybe not all that famous is a lot of fun with one diva, Wendy Williams. I didn't really like Kirstie going in but man did she give her all.

Lisa nd Nikki both go raliroaded. Neither wanted to be project managers and both got stuck with it and basically voted off because they were the managers. I'm really hating Dionne and never liked Star to begin with. Gary Busey is really offbeat and I hope he does settle down.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Dona

Always nice to see you and I hope you and The Shankster are doing well.

Thanks for the prayers re Mark and Sandy I know they appreciate them. It just seems like a lot for one couple to deal with.

I knew of Hines Ward, Romeo, and Wendy Williams besides Macchio and Kirstie. I just thought there was no way Kirstie was going to be any good and then she kind of wowed everyone.

The reality shows do seem to be getting a little mean. Maybe there will be a double elimination this week on The Apprentice and both Dionne and Star will be sent packing.

I like the Cowboys because they have fun. I like it when people have fun.

Bill