Friday, March 11, 2011

Stay Safe West Coast.

Pavolka 760-345-0821

The West Coast is under a Tsunami warning. The warning is expected between 7:00 and 8:00 A.M. this morning to hit the U.S. Waves can travel as much as 500 miles per hour. The wave length can be between sixty and three hundred miles. I'm writing this early this morning before taking off for work. Let's hope the warning proves to be unnecessary. We all have friends up and down the west coast and I'm praying for all their and everyone's safety.

http://www.aolnews.com/2011/03/11/honolulu-other-parts-of-pacific-brace-for-tsunami/?icid=main%7Chtmlws-sb-n%7Cdl1%7Csec3_lnk3%7C205643

Do you think women often sabotage their financial future? Frankly, I don't think that behavior is gender specific I think we all do that at times:

http://www.dailyfinance.com/story/investing-basics/five-ways-women-sabotage-their-financial-futures/19875019/

Do you agree with the author? I think she has some valid points but disagree with theme.

Talk about one lucky dude:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_golden_gate_jumper_lives;_ylt=Airz0SOGAtjitcRCsQDTBkOs0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTN2cmY4NW5mBGFzc2V0A2FwLzIwMTEwMzExL3VzX2dvbGRlbl9nYXRlX2p1bXBlcl9saXZlcwRjY29kZQNtb3N0cG9wdWxhcgRjcG9zAzkEcG9zAzYEcHQDaG9tZV9jb2tlBHNlYwN5bl9oZWFkbGluZV9saXN0BHNsawNjYWxpZnRlZW5zdXI-

I honestly don't remember doing anything on a dare. I just thought anyone that dared me should be willing to do what they were trying to get me to do first and they never did. Have you ever done anything stupid on a dare?

Enjoy your Friday. To my West Coast friends, stay safe.


WHO AM I?

I was born in 1921 and died in 2006. I was an American writer, activist, and feminist and a leading figure in the Women's Movement sparking the second wave of the movement with one of my books. I was the first president of an organization, not Gloria. I stepped down as their president and organized the nation-wide Women's Strike for Equality. In the march I led over 50,000 women and men. My dad owned a jewelry store and mom wrote a society page for a newspaper. As a young girl I was active in Marxist and Jewish circles. I led other feminists in de-railing the nomination of Supreme Court nominee G. Harold Carswell whose record of racial discrimination and anti-feminism made him unacceptable and unfit to sit on the highest court in the land to many in the civil rights and feminist movements. I am credited for starting the contemporary feminist movement and writing one of the cornerstones of American feminism. The New York Times obituary for me noted that I was "famously abrasive" and that I could be "thin-skinned and imperious, subject to screaming fits of temperament." I married a theatre-producer in 1947 while working at UE News and continued to work after marriage, first as a paid employee and then as a freelance journalist. We divorced in 1969. I claimed in my memoir that my husband had beaten me during our marriage; friends recalled having to cover up black eyes in time for press conferences. Bill is fascinated by the FEMININE MYSTIQUE. If you are too you will be able to answer the question, Who Am I?

4 comments:

Pat said...

I've been in a lot of earthquakes, but the mere idea of an 8.9 makes ME quake. The pictures from Japan are absolutely horrifying. You think of a tsunami as in the movies, a wall of nice clean water, which is terrifying enough, but watching that water black with dirt and carrying all kinds of debris is even more frightening. I just can't imagine.

I'm surprised to hear that women save less for retirement than men, but one reason they give, about helping offspring, makes sense to me. Not that I ever had to do it myself, thank heavens! I have to laugh at the numbers they give: $20,000 as opposed to $25,000. I daresay these were more or less beginning savers, as those amounts wouldn't get you far in retirement.

I don't think I've ever done anything on a dare, stupid or not. I would certainly not jump from a bridge on one. Even if I was bent on suicide, I'd pick another way.

Lady DR said...

My heart goes out to those in Japan. I've been watching the tsunami warnings and reports for the West Coast and hope all our friends and relatives are okay, as well as Maryanne's friends and family in HI. The pictures and videos I saw in the doctor's waiting room were terrifying.

Like you, I don't think financial sabotage is gender specific, despite what the article says. That may have been more true forty years ago, but as women have gained education and position, gone through rotten marriages and divorces, I think they've become a lot more savvy about what money is and how it works for/against them. Truth be told, I'd have started preparing for retirement much earlier, but when I was in the working world, women weren't in positions that provided pensions or access to retirement options at work, perhaps because we were expected to get married, be taken care of, drop from the workforce to be mothers and homemakers. That has changed, but I've a suspicion that numbers they may have looked at included people in my (our) age range, raised in that particular culture. That means, we have a lot of catching up to do, at an age when it's difficult to do so. I really don't think women today are as much a "soft touch" as they used to be.

I think the most dangerous "dare" I took was crawling out on a tree limb over a creek, when I was a kid, and being afraid to drop to the water or crawl back. The boys had to go get Daddy to get me down. (I don't recall any "dares" after that, as they were afraid I'd take them and then have to be rescued, which didn't bode well for them (g)).

I echo your "stay safe" to our West coast friends, as well as those dealing with the flooding on the East Coast and in Ohio and the Midwest.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I've been in three quakes, two in Los Angeles. If you remember the Sylmar and Northridge quakes were in the high sixes and they said the Northridge quake lasted less than thirty seconds. The Japan quake was 8.9 and lasted five minutes. That is terrifying.

I am not surprised to hear woman save less for retirement not only for the reason you said but because they are paid as equally as men and retirement is often based on your wages.

I am glad you are with me on not doing dares. I think the teen was an idiot and darn lucky to be alive.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

We survived pretty well on the West Coast better than the news media expected the West Coast to.
The thing that was surprising is the people that ignored the warnings and were on the beach when the fire department guys were announcing over a loudspeaker to get off the beach. One instance was a couple holding a baby walking on the beach.

I hape Maryanne's friends and family are OK.

You just kind of confirmed what I said to Pat. Women didn't get either equal benefits or wages.

That must have been freaking scary to be out on that tree limb. I admire that you had the guts to climb the tree!

Bill