Monday, March 14, 2011

Healthy Monday

The theme today is health. This is healthy Monday. The first two articles I would classify as good news and the last article will put a lot of you in hog heaven. The following along with the health theme is one of my favorite Who Am Is. When I researched this one I just thought what a special lady she must have been.

First good news part I:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110310/ap_on_he_me/us_med_cancer_survivors

Next good news part II:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110310/ap_on_he_me/us_med_coffee_stroke

If I have a sex change and drink a lot of coffee I may be good to go.

Now on to hog heaven:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110311/od_nm/us_pigs_therapy

May you have a healthy week!

Who Am I?

I was born in 1880 and died in 1952. I was an Australian pioneering physical therapist. When I was 14 I fell from a horse and broke my wrist. Dad took me to Dr. Aeneas McDonnell in Toowoomba where I was cared for during my convalescence. While there, I studied McDonnell's anatomy books and model skeleton. That began a life long association with McDonnell, who became my mentor and advisor. I then became interested in how the muscles worked. Instead of using a model skeleton, as they were only available for medical students, I made my own. When I returned home I began working as an unofficial Bush Nurse. Soon, using the money I earned by brokering potatoes, I opened a cottage hospital, where I treated my first cases of polio. Actually, there was an outbreak of what was thought to be infantile paralysis on the Darling Downs just before World War I, and cases came to my cottage hospital. After I followed the advice of a "Lodge Doctor" assigned to their area I called McDonnell for assurance. He wired back, "...treat them according to the symptoms as they present themselves." Sensing that their muscles were very tight I did what the Lodge doctor advised and what mothers around the world did: applied hot compress and weights made from woolen blankets to their legs . I wrote that a little girl woke up very much relieved and said, "Please, I want them rags that well my legs." When World War I began I volunteered to serve as a nurse. I was not officially qualified, but as nurses were badly needed I was accepted and assigned to "Dark Ships", transports that ran with all lights off between Australia and England carrying war goods and soldiers one way and wounded soldiers and trade goods on the return voyage. I served on these dangerous missions throughout the war, making sixteen round trips plus one around the world via the Panama Canal. I earned the title of Sister, which in the Australian Army Nurse Corps is the equivalent of a First Lieutenant. I used that title for the rest of my life.. During the final months of the war I served for a few weeks as a matron in a soldier's hospital near Brisbane. I gave my profits to the Australian Country Women's Association. I once headed the Gallup poll's Most Admired Women list, the only woman in the first 10 years of the list to displace Eleanor Roosevelt for the #1 spot. Between 1934 and my death I and associates treated millions of polio victims throughout the world. My treatments are also suggested to be the basis for Livy Walton's recovery in The Waltons first season episode "An Easter Story". Alan Alda credits my treatments that he received from his mother as a young boy for his complete recovery from polio. Bill wonders why he had not previously heard of this marvelous woman. Think of the PHYSICALLY HANDICAPPED and know AND THEY SHALL WALK and you will no know this woman too and will be answer the question, Who Am I?

4 comments:

Pat said...

Looks like good news all around, Bill. Nice to hear of another perk for us coffee drinkers. Not so sure about "hog heaven". I think I'd rather have a nice furry dog to pet. But they say pigs are very smart, so possibly I could learn to love them, you never know.

Lady DR said...

Great articles, Bill. So glad to hear about the increase in cancer survivors. Now, if we could just find a way to isolate the cause. It seems, every time I turn around, another acquaintance has a cancer diagnosis. I think early detection does have a lot to do with it.

Hon, you don't need a sex change - the article did point out a similar study of Finnish men found drinking coffee reduced their stroke risk, as well (g).

Interesting about the pigs. Hadn't heard of them being used as part of therapy. The idea that the "unusual and unique" may motivate seems valid.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

There has been a lot of postive news lately about two of my favorite things, eggs and coffee.

I'd rather have a dog or cat too. The pigs must be smart enough to be trained to be therapy pigs. The phrases therapy pigs just sounds weird.


Bill

William J. said...

Hi Dr

Whew, I am so glad I don't have to have a sex change to be healthy, I really wasn't looking forward to it.

About ten years ago when I donated my time to a cancer research center they were saying that the cure or remission rate was 50%. I am really glad it is increasing. If we could find the cause it would end it all and what a great thing that would be.

I like the unusual and the unique.

Bill