Tuesday, March 8, 2011

International Women's Day

Work went well yesterday and everybody lived. The answer to yesterday's Who Am I was Rosa Bonheur.

There is a new type of professor making the rounds:

http://www.crunchgear.com/2011/03/04/is-this-uncanny-valley-scaling-robot-a-hoax/?icid=main%7Chp-laptop%7Cdl6%7Csec1_lnk1%7C205134

Is this professor a cost saving invention that will make tuition decline or a bad idea that will cost jobs for human professors and take the emotion out of education//.

Now the rest of the post will devoted to International Women's Day

Marlo Thomas remembers:

http://marlothomas.aol.com/photos/womens-movement?icid=main%7Chp-laptop%7Cdl10%7Csec1_lnk1%7C205152

Then Marlo gives us a quiz:

http://marlothomas.aol.com/2011/03/07/celebrate-womens-history-you-have-to-learn-it-first/?icid=main%7Chp-laptop%7Cdl10%7Csec3_lnk2%7C205152

Thanks to the Who Am I, I had heard of every woman in the quiz but only got eight out of ten. How did you do?

Since most that read my blog are women I am just going to close with just a little bit of advise; Celebrate yourself, celebrate International Women's Day.

4 comments:

Pat said...

WOW! At first, I didn't know what I was looking at in the video, and I thought the robot quite an attractive guy. Looks a little like writer TC Boyle, only cuter. If he gets that smile perfected, he'll be irresistible.

I didn't know many of the answers to the quiz. Knew Rosa Parks, of course, and recognized many of the names from Who Am I, but the full info on them has left my brain. So funny about the first computer "bug"! I didn't know that one.

Lady DR said...

I find the robot professor a bit unnerving, given the limited information. I tend to think college students (any students) need some human dialogue and something other than programmed responses, but maybe the robot can provide that.

Like Pat, I recognized the achievements, but didn't do well in putting names with them. Duh! I do have to wonder if we'd have done better if we'd learned about these women when we were in grade/high school and might have been more retentive if their names and achievements had been drilled into us, as was the case with most of the men who were achievers. Good for Thomas, for bringing them to the forefront.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

The robot did kind of look real but like DanaRae I'm kind of bothered by it.

I learn a lot by researching the Who Am I and then it reinforces my memory when I write it out for the blog. That is why I did so well on the quiz. And I bet as a group we did better than most. As least we had heard of most of them.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

I am with you about the robot. I don't think they are giving enough credit to human emotion and interacction as factors in molding the student.

There is no doubt that we should have learned more about women in schools and like you I think if we had we would have known the answers. How many don't know who George Washington Carver is? But the quiz also showed me how much I learned by doing the Who Am I's. I thought I was doing that to make my blog more interesting instead it made me more knowledgable.

Bill