Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Woman, Cats, & Myths

We all knew all along. Didn't we? I thought it was interesting that the following book was written by a man:

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/excerpt-dan-abrams-man/story?id=13019655&page=1

I kind of like the idea that women are better at everything, it gives us mean an excuse to get out of anything. "You are better at it, you should do it."

OK after my catty comment let's share an article about a long distance runner:

http://www.pawnation.com/2011/03/01/long-distance-running-cat-has-personal-trainer/?icid=main%7Chp-laptop%7Cdl8%7Csec1_lnk3%7C204082

Myths vs. Reality. What really is the key to a long life? I think the following article will both surprise you and please you.

http://yourlife.usatoday.com/health/medical/story/2011/02/5-myths-about-living-longer/44304898/1

My car now starts. It only took one day and a thousand dollars but it starts. Now that I have a dependable car and the computers are fixed at work off I go to a sea of tax returns and if I don't drown I will look forward to reading your comments.

Who Am I?

Everyone knows my name. I was born in in 1892 and died in 1979 & was one of the thirty-six foundersof the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. As one of silent film's most important performers and producers my contract demands were central to shaping the Hollywood industry. In consideration of my contributions to American cinema, the American Film Institute named me among the greatest female stars of all time. Throughout the 1910s and 1920s I was believed to be the most famous woman in the world, or, as a silent-film journalist described me, "the best known woman who has ever lived, the woman who was known to more people and loved by more people than any other woman that has been in all history." Throughout my career I starred in 52 features. I was married three times. I had a miscarriage and an abortion during my first marriage. Many people believed this led to my inability to have children. My second marriage was to a famous actor. During that marriage I gave a lot of thought to how fair banks were. My third and last marriage was to a band leader with whom I adopted two children. I used my stature to promote a variety of causes. During World War I I promoted the sale of Liberty Bonds, through an exhausting series of fund-raising speeches that kicked off in Washington, D.C. At the end of World War I, I conceived of the Motion Picture Relief Fund, an organization to help financially needy actors. After retiring from movies I developed alcoholism, the addiction that had afflicted my father. In addition to an Oscar for best actress I received an Academy Honorary Award for a lifetime of achievements. If you know America's Sweetheart, the girl with the curls, then you can answer the question, Who Am I?

4 comments:

Pat said...

I kind of like the idea that we women are better at everything, too. But rather than DOING everything, I think we should teach you men.

Funny about the running cat, and I quite like the last article. Some of it surprised me, some didn't so much.

It cost you a THOUSAND BUCKS to get your car starting again??? Wow! You have my sympathy, and I'm wondering if you took it to a dealership, which is always a mistake in my opinion. Happy tax returns, and please try not to drown. We'd miss you. {s}

Lady DR said...

Glad to hear the car is running, sorry to see the cost. Glad to hear the computers are up, sorry to hear about being swamped. As Pat says, try not to drown.

Interesting about women being better at "everything" (altho I think "everything" may be a stretch). The question is, why? More focus, more concentration, more research on best approaches (less risk-taking with little information)? I often think men intentionally don't do things well - things they don't want to do - because they know we'll run out of patience and discover it's easier and quicker to do it ourselves.

The article on aging was interesting. Pretty much common sense, once I thought about the findings and the explanations behind them.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I am glad that you are optimistic enough to think us men can be taught.

I loved the cat story. I was surprised at some of the things in the last article but it really did make a lot of sense.

The car was taken to the dealership in a small town because it was both the closest and where I bought the car. Believe it or not they are usually cheaper than other places. Example, my Mom's car needs brakes. My b-i-l called four places and the dealership was the cheapest.

I didn't drown but when the receptionist bruought back my assignements, she said "they sure don't want you to get bored."

Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

At work there are only two of us other than the partners that can do the really hard returns so that woman and I get all the hard assignments. We kind of have formed a fun friendship because of it.

The author did go into the whys on on interview I saw, they are better gamblers and better at finances because they usally don't take as much risks and are more detail oriented. A lot of it centered around them being better conversationalists. I know there are men that purposely don't do things well so their wives will take over but I'm not one of them.

The article on aginsg was common sense but a lot of it was different than we have read before and I found that surprising.

Bill