Friday, April 22, 2011

Dead Or Alive?

The who Am I from Wednesday was Vivian Maier. She lived a quiet life and died homeless. During her life her hobby was photography. Nobody knew of the hobby until one day a man bought some her photos at a garage sale. He went on a search to find out not only who she was but to buy up all of her photos. Raw and beautiful here is a gallery of her photos:

http://search.aol.com/aol/image?q=vivian+maier+photos&v_t=keyword_rollover



She obtained immortality years after she died. This brings up the question. If you had an amazing talent, would you rather have it discovered while you were living or after your death? After some of your answers I will give you my thoughts.

Today is good Friday so we should just keep the stories good, no?

http://www.aolnews.com/2011/04/21/pennsylvania-teen-teams-with-911-dispatcher-shawn-pistorius-to-d/

From good teens to good prisoners:

http://www.aolnews.com/2011/04/21/san-quentin-inmates-rescue-boaters-from-bay/

Your comments are appreciated as is your answer to the question, dead or alive?

WHO AM I?

I was born in Portland, Oregon in 1883 and died in 1976 I was a photographer known
for my photography of botanicals, nudes and industry. I bought my first camera at eighteen, quickly losing interest and selling the camera to a friend. In college I reconnected with the art of photography and opened my own studio in Seattle winning
acclaim for portraiture and pictorial work. Most of her studio work of this time consisted of sitters in their own homes, in her living room, or in the woods surrounding my cottage. In 1914 my portraits were shown at “An International Exhibition of Pictorial Photography” in New York and a portfolio of my work was published in Wilson's Photographic Magazine. I married an etcher and artist. He posed for a series of nude photographs, which were shown by the Seattle Fine Arts Society. Although critically praised, wider society didn’t approve of such images and I didn’t revisit the pictures for a another 55 years. You really should think ABOUT THE DIRECT DEVELOPMENT OF PLANTINUM PAPER FOR BROWN TONES as that will help you answer the question, Who Am I?

4 comments:

Pat said...

Amazing how kids (this one is not the first) can handle a home delivery with just a dispatcher on the phone directing them. I'm not sure I could do that. Well, I guess I could because I'd have to if I were the only one there, which I suppose goes for the kids, too. Still, you have to admire them.

Interesting about the prisoners being trained as paramedics and firefighters. I wonder if they can get those jobs after release.

To answer your question, If I had a special talent, I would absolutely hope to be recognized during my lifetime. If the recognition lasted beyond that, that would be nice, but I'd be dead and couldn't appreciate it. I guess it could be bragging rights for my daughter, but I'm afraid it's not going to happen. {g}

Lady DR said...

I'm truly amazed at the stories you find about kids who are so level-headed and calm and practical. It always makes my day brighter.

As to the prisoners, I'd no idea there was such a program at San Quentin, which is always featured as a dungeon of the desperate. Like Pat, I wonder if these guys will be able to put their training to work, once they're released. I hope so - they've certainly shown their bravery and abilities.

Famous... my view may not be objective, having met several famous authors and followed their careers and others' expectation. I'd go for post-humus, unless I could be famous and rich and left alone. Grueling publicity tours, lack of privacy, lack of time with Himself and family hold no appeal to me. If I could be famous by own rules - make enough money to do casual RV tours from one signing or appearance to the next, enjoying the scenery along the way, being free for holidays, no probing into my personal life or eccentricities, fine. If I wasn't expected to pour out "x" number of books or photos or sculptures each year (or month), fine. Otherwise, while I'd like the fortune, I've no desire for all the ramifications that seem to come with fame these days.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I am kind of surpised at how the kids that young can deliver a baby because I know I couldn't. I'd pass out.

I was also surprised that the prisoners are trained as paramedics. They probably could get a job when they get out if they were exempted from handling drugs.

The question really has several parts to it. How important is money to you. How important is your privacy. I think I would prefer the recognition after death. I would want to be able to sit in a restaurant and not have my meal interrupted. Money isn't that important to me, leaving something behind on earth is. And my privacy is very important.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

The kids are more together in a time of crisis then a lot of adults, including me. It makes me think the world will be in good hands when I leave it.

That makes three of us that didn't know there was such a program. It was my favorite part of the article.

Money certainly would be part of the equation as to when you would prefer you fame. And how much. Enough to buy a cup of coffee at Starbucks, enough to make an impact on the world. Depending might answer might change. If I could set my own rules I would also prefer it while was alive but the way it is right now, I prefer it after I died.

Bill