Monday, April 4, 2011

Good News & Happy Endings.

Good news and happy endings. That is my mission today. I was going to put the following article off until tomorrow but said what the heck:

http://www.aolnews.com/2011/04/01/procrastination-found-to-be-an-effective-way-to-deal-with-stress/

When I was a young tyke playing hide and seek usually made me happy but only if it wasn't played until long into the night:

http://www.aolnews.com/2011/04/02/schools-turn-to-setting-guinness-world-records-to-make-class-tim/

In closing let's honor some kids that got involved:

http://www.katu.com/news/weird/118844164.html

Off to tackle a few tax returns. Two week to go. Can hardly wait.

Comment away.

Who Am I?

I was born in 1834 and died in 1901. Although you mostly did read about in history books and Wikipedia has strangely ignored me this is what was said about me:

"Hers was the only face in the vicinity which seemed in any way gay. She was laughing and pointing very unconcernedly, as she stumbled over axes, spades and other obstacles, on her way through the trench! She was wonderfully courageous or else did not understand the danger . . . the shower of musket-balls, shrapnel, and every sort of projectile falling in the midst of us was trying to the nerves of our coolest."

My dad died when I was ten after which I immigrated to the United States and married at age 10. At the start of the Civil War my husban enlisted in Company I, 27th Pennsylvania Volunteers. He wanted me to stay home and manage their small tailor shop, but Marie I refused. At the age of 27 I followed his regiment as a vivandiere. Before the end 1861 I left her husband and the 27th PA after some soldiers, among whom was her husband, broke into the vivandiere's tent and stole $1,600. I refused to have anything to do with my thief of a husband. During the following year I somehow managed to join the 114th Pennsylvania. I purchased a store of tobacco, cigars, hams and other things not issued by the government and sold them to the soldiers. I also did a thriving trade selling contraband whiskey. I carried the whiskey in a small oval keg strapped to my shoulder.When the regiment was not in action I cooked, washed, mended for the men. I drew the pay of a soldier and was allowed 25 cents per day extra for hospital and headquarters services. At the Battle of Fredericksburg I was noted for helping to establish the field hospital, and assisted in taking care of. soldiers receiving a bullet in my left ankle. After the battle I received a silver cup. After the Battle of Chancellorsville I received the "Kearny Cross" for helping to organize one of the field hospitals. I was with my regiment in the campaign up to Gettysburg. After the war I moved to the Pittsburgh area and married an army veteran. In 1897 I filed divorce papers, and in 1901 I wrote a will leaving all my possessions to my husband, he received a whopping $31.35. It was said of me "for many years the aged woman had been an invalid and was lately a great sufferer from rheumatism and a rebel bullet which she still carrie[d] in her left ankle." If you don't know me by now think of the "Vivandieres: Forgotten Women of the Civil War" and that should help you answer the question, Who Am I?

6 comments:

Pat said...

First, relating back to yesterday, I was also glad Dionne Warwick got eliminated from APPRENTICE. Last night, I thought it was strictly the old-boy network thing, and Trump thinking Gary Busey is better for keeping the show interesting than Richard Hatch would be. From a showbiz standpoint, he's probably right, but Trump is not even faithful to his own show's "rules". For shame. {g}

Avoidance and procrastination are my two middle names. So I should be more or less stress-free. Go figure.

I'm surprised Guiness is still collecting those records, but I guess there's always something to challenge or some new biggest/loudest/longest thing to try.

Good work from the two kids, but I agree with their mom: Next time, call for help.

Lady DR said...

I'm also going back to yesterday - on the the toothpaste thing. I use toothbrushes for almost all the items listed and find them more effective than other methods. As to cleaning under/behind knobs, most of mine pull off, so it's not an issue.

Interesting study on procrastination. I find it usually adds to my stress, because my mind is in semi-constant nag mode about the mental to-do list. I can see taking a break from a big project or doing something fun to gear up for a project you don't want to do, but generally speaking, putting things off just means my stress level goes up, while getting things done gives me a sense of accomplishment.

I see you're counting the days now (G). I would be, too, in your shoes.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I haven't watched The Apprentice yet, probably Wednesday. I am really not a fan of Trump, especially since he has become a birther. Busey is nuts.

I also thought the the two girls should have called someone before risking their lives.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

I also use the toothbrush to clean all the things you do and sometimes will use a toothbrush to polish those little parts that you can't really get to on your shoes.

I also think procrastination ads to me stress. I worry about doing something and then when I get to it is is usually easier than I anticipated. All that worry for nothing.

I've been counting the days for weeks, I just admitted it.

Bill

Mary said...

Two more weeks, we can do this!

I learned a long time ago that if I'm fussing about something, it's better just to do it. If I do it, it's done, and usually easier than I thought. If I procrastinate, it keeps me up at night.

Mary

William J. said...

Hi Mary

We can do two weeks, easily. It always amazes me though the number of people that call accountants the day after tax season.

I with you about procrastination, the article really surprised me because it always seems to cause me more stress to put things off.

Bill