Saturday, April 16, 2011

I'm A Turkey, You're A Turkey

"Oh, when I was a kid in show business I was poor. I used to go to orgies to eat the grapes." Rodney Dangerfield.

National Volunteer Week starts Monday, here is an article to honor the week:

http://smallbusiness.aol.com/2011/04/08/why-volunteering-gives-employees-an-edge-in-the-workplace/

One of the things I like about tax season is being around people. When tax season ends it is like watching your enemy go over a cliff in your brand new Mercedes. You are glad the work is over but you are going to miss everyone. It is really kind of a lonely feeling when the day after you are done you wakeup with nobody around and no place to go. That is why I appreciated the following article:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mike-robbins/you-are-not-alone_b_843078.html?icid=main%7Chtmlws-sb-n%7Cdl4%7Csec3_lnk2%7C209481

The next article packs a punch:

http://www.aolnews.com/2011/04/14/australian-kris-tressider-builds-robot-that-punches-you/

Before closing I wanted to share with you one of the reasons I like working at the firm I work at. Sure the work is difficult but the bosses are great to work for. Yesterday the female partner came back and gave me a thank you card with a crisp hundred dollar bill in it. Before I share with you what the partners wrote I need to explain some things. The procedure at work is when you finish a return you send it to review, the reviewer will go over your work then he/she will send the work back to you with notes for you to clear. I look at the review notes as not only a way to learn but a way to make sure the return is right before it goes out the door. I don't take them personally. I really don't get that many review notes but the ones I get are always about something really basic that I miss. I can do a really difficult return and the only review note I get will be something like you forgot to take contributions. The previously mentioned man on the blog took them personally and looked at them as "gotcha". I decided to have some fun with the review notes to maybe teach the man the spirit the review notes are meant. Whenever the male partner would give me a review note I would either say to him or write a note next to the review note something like this "wow that was a turkey mistake" or "they are going to cook me for Thanksgiving". Then one time he gave me a review note "get a property tax bill for the rental so you can allocate the value between land and building." You have to do that because you can't depreciate land. Condos don't have land value (Townhouses might). I wrote "it is a condo you fellow turkey." It became a running joke between Tom and I throughout tax season. When the other man saw the banter between us, it changed his view of review notes and he started to improve. Here is what the partners wrote, you can enlarge the note by clicking on them:



Comment away.

8 comments:

Pat said...

Lovely to work for bosses who are appreciative, isn't it? I hope you're really finished now, are having a relaxing time, and not feeling alone. {g}

I looked at the video of the punching pro, and I think even I could defeat him. He's too predictable.

Lady DR said...

How great that your bosses not only appreciate you, but are willing to tell you how much. And good job on getting the "other guy" somewhat straightened around. I think that comes under the heading, "above and beyond the call of duty."

Interesting the number of employers who value volunteer work by their employees. I do know that in our area, companies strongly encourage employees to get involved in volunteer projects and often give them a day or two off, with pay, to help with large scale community/county projects.

The article on being "alone" makes some valid points. I can remember often feeling that way, when I was helping with Mom. I didn't often ask for help, but I received tremendous moral support from various friends and acquaintances. I think those of us who work from home or have solitary occupations are often more vulnerable to the feeling.

Hopefully, today did see the end of work and tomorrow is yours to enjoy.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

One reason I went into business for myself is I never found bosses that were appreciative. This firm has been great for me because I not only from the bosses but the staff too (from the receptionist "it will be a sad day when you decide not to work anymore" to a co-worker "your humor reduces stress in the office"). It is almost at the place I would work there for free. Almost. Just twenty minutes ago I am officially finished. I finished at the firm at 11. Just dropped of the last project for Mark nad Paul. Took Mom to lunch. Tomorrow is a complete day off.

I think I could beat the pro too!

Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

These bosses are great. This last week they bought us lunch on three of the days. They have food brought in. They get a menu from a local restaurant and we order off it, the recptionist either goes and gets it or the restaurant delivers. At the Christmas parties they give really nice gifts instead of gag gifts. $50 movie or restaurant cards, etc. They both have really great senses of humor and they appreciate my work. The fact that the male boss called me a turkey shows he likes me and loved the banter.

The large companies like Intel promote certain projects like Habitat to Humanity. High Schools now are requiring some volunteer week before a student graduates.
As they move into the working world I foresee volunteer work being a part of the every day work force.

I finally got to the place where I asked for help with Mom. Had I not I would have been dead by now.

I finished today!! This may sound weird but I was heading to a movie. I didn't go because I was to tired. To tired to go to a movie. Weird.

Bill

Mary said...

You're done? Seriously? OMG, I am so jealous. I still have 24 scheduled hours to go.

William J. said...

Hi Mary

Hang in there. I don't mean to make you more jealous but most CPA firms are done. They just won't do returns on the last day, just to big of risk for mistakes.

I'm rooting for a peaceful last day for you.

Bill

Mary said...

And we will still have people dropping off returns to get done at 7 p.m. tomorrow night. And we'll probably get them done, if they have everything. You wouldn't believe how many people wander in these last few days and don't have everything they need. I saw one guy today who only had two jobs, but didn't have either W-2. It's a 1040EZ, would take ten minutes to do, but he doesn't have either one. Ack!

William J. said...

Hi Mary

Most CPAs I know close by noon today.

I was the last one to do a return because I was assigned the garbage bag lady. She brought all of her stuff in, in a 30lb garbage bag. Of coure there was a bunch of stuff in there that I didn't need.

Reminded me of the time when an attorney/client brought in five paper grocery bags of receipts. Well four, because on the bags had his laundry in it.

Bill