Thursday, April 28, 2011

Proprioception

The answer to yesterday's Who Am I was Mary Pickersgill.

Do you know what proprioception is? It is your sense of where you are in relation to your surroundings. It allows you to do two things at once. For those over 50 it usually declines as you continue to age. The OREGONIAN is do a series of tests to see you compare to others over fifty. Today the test the third in the series and for testing your proprioception. Close your eyes, march in one place for thirty seconds. After thirty seconds are you in one place? Or have your moved or turned around? If you have moved or turned around your ability to multi-task has declined. You can improve that ability by improving your balance. I didn't turn around but I moved four steps which means I am starting a program to improve my balances. How did you do?

The rest of today is all about the good.:

http://www.aolnews.com/2011/04/26/50gives-keith-donohue-on-road-trip-to-promote-volunteerism-in-a/

Love what the guy is doing. Makes me smile.

Speaking of smiling I smiled when I read the next article. I'm not a real fan of Starbucks' coffee because it is just to strong for me, even the regular blend but I am now a fan of Starbucks' owned Seattle Best Coffee:

http://www.aolnews.com/2011/04/27/seattle-s-best-brew-lanthropy-project-grants-coffee-make-overs/

In closing my prayers, positive thoughts and vibes go out to those in the South being battered by the storms. The pictures from there are heartbreaking.

6 comments:

Lady DR said...

I'm familiar with proprioception only because it was an issue with Mom. I think I'll wait a day or two to take the test.

Ironically, one of the things you can do to improve balance, according to the physical therapists, is to strengthen your ankles. Stand on the floor and go up on your toes and back on your heels (you may want to hold onto a chair back or something, until you build strength/balance. Another is to rotate your ankles - be sure it's your ankles, not your knees or legs - while standing with your knee bent and thigh parallel to the floor. Small rotations, reversing every eight counts. IF I remember other stuff, I'll try to remember to post it later.

Loved the story about the guy doing the volunteer road trip.

Yes, points to Seattle Best for rewarding volunteers and philanthropic organizations.

Pat said...

I knew about proprioception because it was featured in an Oliver Sacks book I read quite a while ago. I haven't done the test yet. 30 seconds can be a very long time, and I have no timer that will give me that short amount of time without my opening my eyes to look at it, and that would be cheating. Maybe I'll figure something out.

I also love what the volunteer guy is doing. Wouldn't that be fun as well as useful!

I love Starbucks, but rarely visit a store--only once every couple of weeks when I have coffee and conversation with my friend Carol. I used to buy their coffee in the market for use at home, but I then switched to Seattle's Best because it was $2 or more cheaper and plenty good enough. Now their price just went up to match Starbucks' and Peet's, so I'm trying Don Francisco's French roast. Pretty good, though you have to use a little more grounds to get the same effect.

That said, the philanthropic work they are doing is admirable, and I love the way the bicycle shop works.

I didn't know about the storms in the South until this morning. I managed to avoid all news except more idiocy about Obama's birth certificate yesterday. The pictures from the storms are indeed horrifying.

William J. said...

Hi DR

Wow! Thanks for the information. I had no idea the ankles played a part in proprioception.

The Road Trip Guy is my idol. Seattle Best is on my list of good companies

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Pat

It looks like I was the only here that didn't know about proprioception. I went into the kitchen and used the microwave as the timer.

I think what the volunteer guy is doing would absolutely be fun.

Seattle Best was a little cheaper when it was an independant. Their prices went up when Starbucks bought them. There are thee Starbucks within walking distance. We have Peets but no Seattle Best. It doesn't bother me because I think the best coffee is at 7-11 and McDonalds.

That birth certificate nonsense will never die down. I think Donald Trump made a fool of himself. Word is that nobody wants to go on Celebrity Apprentice now because they don't we associated with him. A couple have backed out of the next segment.

Bill

dona said...

I wasn't familiar with proprioception either. I tried your test and seeing how I am dizzy 24/7 didn't think I would do well, actually figured I would fall as I cannot touch my nose with my eyes closed. :( But to my surprise did very well and stayed in the same place. Go figure.

I like what the Road Guy is doing. Makes me happy that people can do things such as this, & wish more of us would be able to do the same.

I am not a coffee drinker, But I do love this project. I also love what they are doing with the bikes.

As I said Bill, I am not a coffee drinker, but I have some friends who came from the other side of the world to visit me and I knew they were coffee drinkers...I took them to Starbucks...then to McDonalds....They preferred McDonalds Coffee...as does my dad. So you are not alone. :)

William J. said...

Hi Dona

Thanks for making me feel better and not knowing proprioception either! I'm glad you did really well with the test!

What they are doing with the bikes is very inventive. Your friends from the other side of the world know coffee! As does your dad.

Bill