Friday, April 8, 2011

From Ten to Ninety-Seven

This story touched me to the core:

http://www.aolnews.com/2011/04/07/nicholas-maxim-maine-fifth-grader-born-without-hands-wins-penm/?icid=main%7Chp-laptop%7Cdl11%7Csec1_lnk1%7C209074

Don't throw away the tissues just yet:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/04/05/massachusetts-man-grants-wifes-wish-65-years-marriage/?&test=gnews

Let's close with a good animal story:

http://icubud.livejournal.com/tag/happy%20stories

Hope you Friday is a good an inspirational.

WHO AM I?

I was born in 1887 and died in 1978 and was an authoress, a photographer, a teacher, university lecturer, and a nurse. I was the fourth of six children and after growing up I worked for a while as a governess. When I moved to Moscow I was employed as an English tutor to the two daughters of a heart surgeon. When the War of 1914 broke out I worked as a Red Cross nurse with the Imperial Russian army, and saw service at both the Galician and the Romanian Fronts. During my time as a nurse I kept a diary and habitually took a large plate camera around with me. Extracts from the diaries were eventually used as the source material for my first book. I also worked as a reporter for The Times and for BBC Radio. Following the October Revolution and the disbandment of my Red Cross unit I returned to England, traveling via Siberia, Vladivostok and the USA, crossing the Pacific. During the Spanish Civil War I allied with the Nationalists and worked as a newsreader on Spanish National Radio, broadcasting daily news bulletins in English. I later returned to England and worked for the Women's Voluntary Service during the Battle of Britain, becoming particularly involved in the rehabilitation of Spanish-speaking Gibraltarians.
I was awarded Honorary Life Membership of the British Red Cross. Have you ever wondered about NURSES ON THE RUSSIAN FRONT? If you do so now, you will be able to answer the question, Who Am I?

4 comments:

Pat said...

Inspiring story about the boy with no hands.

Can't say today was very inspirational because I'm working the local election and I'm sick. Don't know with what...something that makes you feel rotten, with fever and a little but not much coughing. Weird, but I sleep a lot whenever I have the chance, so I'm a little scarce the last few days.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

Firest and foremost I hope you get well and get rid of that nasty soemthing. I'm not so sure you should be working, resting is required!

Bill

Pat said...

Thanks, Bill. I let myself sleep forever last night, and logged 10 hours. I feel a bit better today, as the fever seems to be gone. Another day of rest and I should be good to go for another two days' fairly easy work.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I'm glad you are better but I am going to keep sending positive vibles until you are completely healed.

Bill