Monday, April 25, 2011

Treasures.

"Fear not that life shall come to an end, but rather fear that it shall never have a beginning." John Henry Cardinal Newman

We are beginning today's post by celebrating those that just get better with age:

http://www.everydayhealth.com/senior-health-pictures/10-super-seniors-we-admire.aspx?xid=aol_eh-age_7-1_20110410&icid=main%7Chtmlws-sb-n%7Cdl6%7Csec3_lnk3%7C21062

Continuing we are moving on to a celebration of treasures:

http://www.aolnews.com/2011/04/25/500-year-old-book-surfaces-in-utah/?icid=main%7Chp-laptop%7Cdl1%7Csec3_lnk1%7C210747

Now we are ending the day with stupidity. Certainly the man should have known the phrase he used to describe women was dripping with sexism.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110421/od_nm/us_safran_sexism

Be well and comment away.

WHO AM I

Known as the "Conscience of the American Revolution," I was born in 1728 as a descendant of a Mayflower passenger as the fifth of thirteen children. Although I never had a formal education I accomplished things unknown to women before I died in 1814. I was a prolific and influential writer, the first woman playwright, wrote the first history of the American Revolutionary War (by a man or woman), and influenced most of founding fathers, as well as speaking up for women's rights. I counted both John and Abigail Adams among my friends, and I influenced such great names as George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Samuel Adams, John Hancock, and Patrick Henry. I married my second cousin at age twenty-six. We had five sons together. In one play I predicted the Revolutionary War. It took until after my death to reap my awards. I was inducted into the Woman’s Hall of Fame in Seneca Falls, New York in 2002. It was said of the legacy I left behind:
.
"Seldom has one woman in any age, acquired such an ascendancy over the strongest, by the mere force of a powerful intellect. She is said to have supplied political parties with their arguments; and she was the first of her sex in America who taught the reading world in matters of state policy and history."

I hope my life encourages women to speak up. My example can be followed in many ways. I spoke up when I needed to, and many benefited from the things I said. I was inspirational and worth remembering as a builder of our nation. The key to knowing my name is in the first sentence, read it again and you can answer the question, Who Am I?

4 comments:

Pat said...

Impressive oldsters. But from what I see firsthand, getting very old is not that desirable, so if you can do it the way the people in the stories have, great. Otherwise, I think I'd rather check out sooner. BTW, I skipped the stories that looked they were about extreme athleticism. Not my cuppa tea.

Great story about the rare book. If I only had an attic to search...

Sexism? Oh, give the guy a break. He's 71, He's stupid, and he's French. A lot of women are too sensitive. If he had caught his own gaffe, he could have added, "Er, often in upper body strength, anyway."

Lady DR said...

Loved the articles about the senior citizens. If we could all be that happy and active, I think we'd enjoy those additional years. I've been fortunate in knowing a number of people in their seventies (hey, it's not that far away!) to mid nineties, who are active, mentally, physically, intellectually. If I can do that, I'm good to go. If not...

I really do need to do some checking on books in our library. We have an antique Bible and some primers from pre-Nazi Germany. I suspect they have some value, given their condition, but have just never pursued it.

While I may be a bit impatient with the guy in the sexism article, I have to agree with Pat to a degree. He's from a different generation and culture. To him, what he said probably seemed quite reasonable. Not making excuses for sexism under any conditions, but sometimes, you just gotta consider the source .

William J. said...

Hi Pat

Sorry I am so late responding. I thought my laptop was stolen last night which puts a bunch of security issues into play with me because of client information I have on the computer so in addition to being at Mom's I had to spend a lot of time with the other computer to change passwords etc. Today's post will be late to.

See I didn't really see that many stories that were about athleticism because auto racing isn't a sport in my book and running isn't either.

I'm completely with you, I would rather check out then no be able to do things.

I have an attic to search but there is nothing up there except a bucket from when the roof leaked.

Great story about the rare book. If I only had an attic to search...

I'm find it interesting that you and DR are giving the guy a break and I'm not. I expect men to live by a higher standard until there is true equality.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

See note to Pat about why my responses are late. Fortunately the laptop wasn't stolen just misplaced.

Being active of mind and body are the ways to stay young in my book that is why I loved the senior stories.

I imagine some of those books you have are very valuable. In my living room is a first edition They Were Expendable that I am sure has some worth.

The man may be from a different generation but it is never to old to learn new things and update your thinking to avoid looking foolish. Sexism in any tone or generation should not be tolerated.
He doesn't get a break from me.

Bill