Saturday, April 2, 2011

New Parenting, Old Memories, & Crime Solving

I had a really good day yesterday. First, I solved a program problem that even the I.T. guy couldn't solve. Then my boss told me my billings increased thirty percent over last year. She also told me my returns were always so clean that they were a pleasure to review. Then we all got a free lunch. On Friday's the bosses buy us all lunch as a perk. We had sandwiches from Noah's Bagels and they were great. The guys that bought my business e-mailed me and gave me three more assignments. And as an added bonus the guy I have been helping got a huge pat on the back for the way he did a return. I've been kind of feeling sorry for him lately because he told me that I am the only one that he can really ask questions because everyone else seems to blow him off. It really is nice to be wanted, valued, and respected.

Let's start the day of with one of the dumbest parenting ideas in the history of the world and my favorite columnist's take on it:

http://www.usatoday.com/life/columnist/finalword/2011-03-30-final30_ST_N.htm

Let's go from the new to the old. Growing up every Saturday night Mom and Dad would take us kids to Stauffer's for a cheeseburger, fries, and a milkshake. After dinner they would take us home and all of us kids would get in our pajamas. We would all pour into the station wagon and head out to the local drive in theater. It was really fun and a great memory. Where did the drive-in movies go anyhow?

http://news.travel.aol.com/2011/03/31/7-retro-drive-in-theaters-to-watch-a-film-in-now/?icid=main%7Chp-laptop%7Cdl7%7Csec3_lnk2%7C208383

Believe it or not there is a drive-in movie theater just eight miles from me. I really do think it is a memory that the current kids are missing out on.

How would you like to make The Dahn Report famous by solving a murder?

http://www.aolnews.com/2011/04/01/fbi-asks-public-to-help-decode-notes-from-1999-death-of-ricky-mc/

Can you break the code?

Comment away

PS

Answer to yesterday's Who Am I? Nancy Chodorow

4 comments:

Pat said...

You sure are getting a lot of work kudos, and it may be rubbing off, since your co-worker got one also. Glad you had such a good day.

Parent dolls sound pretty stupid, I can't say I miss drive-ins, and I'm not good at puzzles, so much as I'd like to help the FBI, I think I'll pass on solving the code. {g}

Lady DR said...

Congrats on all the "attaboys" at work, although I'm not surprised. You're darned good at what you do. And it had to be a great feeling to know you were instrumental in someone else receiving a pat on the back. What a great day.

The parent dolls are, as you say, one of the dumbest ideas I've seen. The might - heavy on the 'might' - sooth a toddler in daycare, but I have doubts about even that. If they can hear Mommy, why isn't she there? After pre-school, who wants their parents presence 24/7? Not many kids I know.

Drive-in movies. Yes, they were a family treat, as it was twenty miles to the nearest one. However, they were the favorite date spot for teens (G). One of the advantages, compared to today's cinemas, is YOU could control the volume.

Interest the FBI is turning to the public for help on the encrypted messages. I couldn't find a way to print off the linked page, with the messages and when I tried to copy, it copied everything except the messages. I thought I'd give it to Himself and his buddy Mike, just to keep them off the streets and out of trouble (g)

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I have never worked at a place that was so positive about my work. I used to get hammered about how terrible my workpapers were here they use them as an example to everyone else on how they should be done.

I'm surprised to hear you aren't good at puzzles because I think you have an NCIS mind.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

I do think I am good at what I do but I've never really been good at workpapers. Always got in trouble with those at the big 8 firm and other firms I worked at. One senior accountant said my workpapers were the worse they have ever seen. So every day I go to work now I get a compliment about how good my workpapers are and how easy they are to follow. It is daily redemption.

The parent dolls would have scared me as a kid. Like Craig Wilson said in his column when his parents were gone it was his vacation.

In Klamath Falls drive-ins were date night on weekends. Funny story about my sister when she was in high school. She and four of her friends wanted to go to a movie but they only had enough money for one admittance. Four of the girls got in the trunk and they went to the drive in theater. The kicker is that after they got it guess what it was? Dollar a car night.

I bet Himself and Mike could break the code.

Bill