Friday, April 1, 2011

Pranks, Snakes, & Lucky Truck Drivers.

Hope you avoid jokes today, April Fools Day. What were some of the greatest pranks of all time?

http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,1888721_1888719,00.html?xid=rss-top-aolT

he next story is from Pat. I'm not really fond of snakes, at least I don't think that I am because I am usually setting speed records running the other direction when I see one. Pat and her daughter share an affinity for snakes and shared the following story, which I admit it kind of funny:

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/03/29/twitter-patter-bronxzooscobra/

I'm closing with a good luck story. One that turns a bad thing into a good thing:

http://www.katu.com/news/weird/118918479.html

Comment away and in addition if you would like to share the best April Fool's joke you pulled or had pulled on you I'm game.

WHO AM I?

I was born in 1944 and am a feminist sociologist and psychoanalyst. I am widely regarded as a leading psychoanalytic feminist theorist and is a member of the International Psychoanalytical Association. I see gender differences as compromise formations of the Oedipal complex. I begins with Freud’s assertion that the individual is born bisexual and that the child's mother is its first sexual object. Where male children typically experience love as a dyadic relationship, daughters are caught in a libidinal triangle where the ego is pulled between love for the father, the love of the mother, and concern and worry over the relationship of the father to the mother. For me the contrast between the dyadic and triadic first love experiences explains the social construction of gender roles, the universal degradation of women in culture, cross-cultural patterns in male behavior, and marital strain in the West after Second Wave feminism. If you are interested in THE REPRODUCTION OF MOTHERING: PSYCHOANALYSIS AND THE PSYCHOLOGY OF GENDER, then you can answer the question, Who Am I?

4 comments:

Pat said...

Good prank to have everybody jumping at the same time. And some convinced they "floated". People are so suggestible.

I've read about do-it-yourself Heimlich maneuvers if there's nobody to help you, like using the back of a chair. Crashing your car into a concrete median seems a bit extreme, but hey, whatever works.

I'm not a prankster myself, and offhand can't think of any that I've fallen for. When I worked for Hanna Barbera, some of the guys were very much into pranks. They didn't pull any good ones during my brief time there, but they sure had good stories.

BTW, apparently they have now caught the cobra, so his Twitter career may be at an end.

Lady DR said...

I can just see a bunch of folks jumping all at the same time. As Pat says, suggestibility is a wonderful thing (g).

Glad the guy didn't end up choking on his apple. I do have to wonder if he suffered any other injuries from connecting with the cement wall.

The snake, glad they apparently caught him. What a hoot that someone decided to put him on Twitter.

Can't think of any April Fool pranks done by or to me, quite honestly.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I liked the jumping up prank too, it just shows what incredible things people will believe.

Crashing in to a brick wall seems to extreme for me. Intentionally or not.

I didn't know you worked at Hanna.

I've pulled on or two good pranks in my time and had one or two pulled on me.

Kind of sad the snake got caught but I hope they keep the twitter account going.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

People are pretty gulliable. They will almost always do something someone else does, if you want to try an experiment just go outside sometime at an office building or the doctors office and just stand there looking up at the sky. Within ten minutes there will be ten people looking up.

I kind of wonder if the trucker got hurt too.

I loved the creativity of the snake twitter.

Bill