Thursday, September 29, 2011

Ants, Einstein, & Recalls.

Last day at Mom's, I will be there until about 8 tonight so if I don't respond until then or early tomorrow morning please accept my apology in advance. On the agenda today is we are going to get our flu shot and then got out to lunch. You doing anything exciting today? Have you gotten your flu shot yet? If you haven't get your butt in gear.

First story today comes to us from South Carolina.

http://news.yahoo.com/fire-ants-delay-sc-high-school-football-game-131425592.html

I bet they were antsy to get the football game started. Would you have waited out the delay? Or would you have split with me?

Have your ever considered yourself smart enough to challenge Einstein?

http://news.yahoo.com/challenging-einstein-usually-losing-venture-214054440.html

I really don't how I feel about the above article. You?

Next up is a warning. Everyone once in a while I read a story about a recall that I feel that I should pass on:

http://news.yahoo.com/ground-beef-recalled-14-us-states-163131462.html

Comment Away.

QUOTE

Zelda Fitzgerald authored yesterday's quote "I always wanted to be somebody. If I made it, it's half because I was game enough to take a lot of punishment along the way and half because there were a lot of people who cared enough to help me." She was a sharecropper's daughter raised on welfare mostly in New York City, learned tennis through public clubs. She rose to become the first African American to play at in the Forest Hills and in the Wimbledon championships, and the first African American to win either. She broke the color barrier in tennis, helping make possible the later careers of other African American tennis players including Arthur Ashe and Venus and Serena Williams. She was born in 1927 and died in 2003. Who authored today's quote?

4 comments:

Pat said...

Well, I certainly wouldn't have waited from Friday night until Monday night for a football game. I probably wouldn't have been there at all, though I did rather like the games when I was in high school.

I wouldn't bet against Einstein, but since I don't understand much about physics, it's a wise decision on my part. If the amount over the speed of light was 60 billionths of a second, I'd say there's a good possibility of finding error.

Oh, great! I know I have one frozen hamburger patty, but have no idea when I got it or who it came from, except for Ralph's market. So I guess I'll throw it out... small loss there. OTOH, I just made a meatloaf yesterday. I ate some last night with no symptoms so far, so will consider it safe, I guess. Who keeps the packaging on hamburger, I ask you?

There's also a recall going on with cantaloupe, but I don't remember the details.

Lady DR said...

I applaud them for postponing the game until the fire ant issue was resolved. Don't know how many here live in areas with fire ants, but they are Very Nasty, many people without allergies to other insects do react to fire ants and they can cause a great deal of pain and suffering. I unknowingly got into a nest of them a couple times in FL and it's not pretty. Best case, you strip shoes, sox, pants and hose them off with high power water pressure, take benedryl tablets, spray with benedryl spray and get your feet and legs up on pillows on an ottoman. Worst case, you end up in the ER.

I wouldn't go up against Einstein, but am like Pat - physics ain't my strong suit. I want to see a lot more tests and research.

Bummer on the hamburger. We've got patties in the refrig and not in their original wrapper and I'm not sure just when we bought them or even if they're Tyson brand.Much as I hate to throw out food, I'm thinking these may need to go, to be on the safe side. Sigh. Thanks for the heads up.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I would wait that long for some football games, like the super bowl.

I am always on Einstein's side. I'd be surprised if they found the error.

The canteloupe scare is getting most of the press. Something like seven people nationwide have died from it. The beef scare is in the background but I did hear today that it could be a week or a month before you showed signs of an illness from eating the faulty beef.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

I am aslo glad they posponed the game. I am not sure I even know what a fire ant is. I honestly didn't know they could cause that much pain and suffering. See I learn something from the readers of the blog everyday.

I'm with you I am not going up against Einstein.

I think throwing out the hamburger is the only way to go. Better safe than sorry.

Bill