Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Mango Makes It Home

Taking a break from cleaning house to post a blog entry for the day. I am going to be at Mom's about one-thirty this afternoon and won't be back until about eight tomorrow night. For some reason I like a clean house before I leave it for a day or more. Tomorrow Mom a I are going to get our flu shots. Tomorrow it is Scrabble and working on her books. Friday I have lunch with two former clients, Doug and Miriam. Be nice to see them.

The first article really freaked me out:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/09/27/woman-morgue-alive-living_n_983726.html?icid=maing-grid10%7Chtmlws-sb-nb%7Cdl13%7Csec3_lnk1%7C99612

All I can see it is I am glad it wasn't any of my relatives sent to a place to die for too soon. Would that freak you out?

Seattle is really making a name for itself here on my blog. First they have a weird holiday and not they have a new way to deal with foreclosures:

http://realestate.aol.com/blog/2011/09/27/foreclosed-homeowner-booby-traps-home/?icid=maing-grid10%7Chtmlws-sb-nb%7Cdl16%7Csec1_lnk2%7C99575

While I am glad somebody put a good scare in the bank, I am just not sure this is the right way to go about it.

One of the reasons I like about Portland is that there are a lot of caring people here. A couple of days ago there was a car accident on a local street close to the freeway. Mango the dog got out of his collar and took off ending up on the freeway. It stopped freeway traffic dead as people stopped their cars to try to catch the little bugger before he got hurt.

http://www.wistv.com/story/15559859/caught-on-camera-dog-on-traffic-jam

Thank goodness the dog is safe and back with its owner. Thank goodness for all the drivers that stopped their cars and helped.

Comment Away,

Doris Kearns Goodwin authored yesterday's quote. "We grew up founding our dreams on the infinite promise of American advertising. I still believe that one can learn to play the piano by mail and that mud will give you a perfect complexion. " She was an artist, ballet dancer, and writer. Married at 19 to a famous writer her zany and racy antics -- and his -- seemed to symbolize the freedom of the Jazz Age. She wrote in part to battle her restlessness while her husband was absorbed in his writing. She was diagnosed as a schizophrenic. She was hospitalized after a nervous collapse in 1930, and spent the rest of her life in sanatoriums. She died in a hospital fire in 1948. It was the 1960s before her writing began to be studied seriously and she began to emerge a bit from the shadow of her more famous husband. Her art work also has been reappraised as interesting in its own right. After spending much of the 1950s and 60s in family attics—her mother even had much of the art burned because she disliked it—scholars began to examine the art. Exhibitions of her work have toured the United States and Europe. A review of the exhibition by curator Everl Adair noted the influence of Vincent Van Gogh and Georgia O'Keeffe on her paintings and concluded that her surviving corpus of art "represents the work of a talented, visionary woman who rose above tremendous odds to create a fascinating body of work—one that inspires us to celebrate the life that might have been." She was born in 1900. If you visit her husband on THIS SIDE OF PARADISE, you can answer the question, who authored today's quote?

4 comments:

Pat said...

I think one moral of the first story is 'don't lost your vital signs temporarily in a country where morgue workers are superstitious'. Reminds me of reading about people wanting a rope in their coffin attached to a bell above ground, so they wouldn't be buried prematurely. Or not for long.

I guess that homeowner got his revenge, however a temporary one, with his little gag. I hope it made him feel better. I wonder what he'll be charged with if they find him.

Don't know what the moral of the dog story is. Maybe 'leash your dog around freeways'? Nice that so many stopped to help and that dog and owner are both safe.

Lady DR said...

The first story is downright scary!

I can only imagine the frustration of the homeowner. I was more than a little surprised at the cost of the home. 2 bed, 1 bath on .15 acre and the estimate selling price is $230K? Aren't those San Francisco prices?

The little dog had more spunk than sense (g). The fact she slipped out of her collar is one of the reasons we use only harnesses for our own. I do find it absolutely amazing all the drivers stopped and tried to help, despite creating a traffic jam. I also like the happy ending.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I am from now on going to carry a cowbell where ever I go. I am going to be cremated so maybe I'd want some water nearby to put out the fire.

I think he could be charged with something I just don't know what it would be.

I like the moral of the story being if you have an accident and your dog escapes in Portland a lot of people will stop what they are doing and try to help.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

I kind of got goosebumps reading the first story.

And Seattle prices. Seattle homes are now pretty pricey. Especially near Microsoft are Boieng.

Mango did have a lot of spunk. A harness for a dog in a car should almost be required. From what the TV reporters said there wasn't any honking. And the first fifteen minutes of all local newscasts were devoted to the dog on the freeway. The news helicopters were following its route.

Bill