Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Health Day - Part One

We haven't done health stories for a while so we are going to pig out on them. The next three days will be all about health.

Let's start out with a laugh. An elderly woman was pulling two garbage bags down the street. One had a hole in it and was money was following out of it. The lady was stopped by a police officer who told her about the falling money. The woman said "I better go back and pick it up." The cop "not so fast, where did all the money come from." The lady explained that she lived on a golf course and had a knot hole in her fence. Men would put their thing through the knot hole and tinkle. It would kill her flowers. She decided she was going to do something about. She got a pair of shears and whenever a man would put it through the knot hole, the woman would put shears around it and say "twenty bucks and I won't cut it off." The officer laughed and indicated he thought that was a pretty fair system. The cop asked "What is in the other bag?" "Not everyone pays."

If you laughed at that I just improved your health:

http://news.yahoo.com/laughter-really-best-medicine-231119288.html

Do you have headaches? Are you taking daily pain medications for them? Is this the best plan:

http://www.everydayhealth.com/pain-management/headache/rebound-headache.aspx?xid=aol_eh-hache_1-_20110912&aolcat=HLT&icid=maing-grid10%7Chtmlws-main-nb%7Cdl8%7Csec1_lnk3%7C95041

I always like new discoveries. Especially when it is a discovery for a new use of something that is already approved by the FDA.

http://www.everydayhealth.com/alzheimers-disease/0912/insulin-spray-may-improve-alzheimers-symptoms.aspx?xid=aol_eh-news_3_20110912&aolcat=HLT&icid=maing-grid10%7Chtmlws-main-nb%7Cdl8%7Csec3_lnk1%7C95041

Comment Away.

QUOTE

Sarah Orne Jewett authored yesterday's quote. "It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees." The author of today's quote was born in 1895 and died in 1989. She was a Spanish Republican leader of the Spanish Civil War and communist politician of Basque origin, perhaps best known for her defense of the Second Spanish Republic with the famous slogan ¡No Pasarán! ("They Shall Not Pass"), during the Battle of Madrid. She later became a writer for the PCE publication Mundo Obrero, and was elected to the Cortes as a PCE deputy for Asturias in February 1936 during the Second Republic. After the end of the Spanish Civil War and her exile from Spain, she was appointed General Secretary of the Central Committee of the Communist Party of Spain, a position she held from 1942 to 1960. She wrote her first article in 1918 for the miners' newspaper, El Minero Vizcaíno. The article came out during Holy Week, it versed on religious hypocrisy at odds with the Passion of Christ, and because of the theme and because of the holiday she signed it with an alias. Have your heard of EL UNICO CAMINO (THE ONLY WAY). If you have, you can answer the question, who authored today's quote?

6 comments:

Pat said...

Very interesting about the laughter/pain connection. Also the comment that people laugh more with others than when watching something funny alone. I find that to be true. While I get amused at something funny on tv or radio, I rarely laugh aloud when watching it alone.

Good to know about rebound headaches. I did know about those, and don't have headaches often, so I'm not at risk. But I do wonder if other pains might react the same way if you take something for them daily.

I had also read about the insulin spray/early Alzheimer's connection. Now they tell me! How come all these breakthrough findings come too late?

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I know funny movies are funnuier if there is a bigger audience to laugh with. I do, however, laugh out loud more when I am alone then with others.

Interesting question about other pains reacting the same way as headaches. I think that would be interesting to find out. It would make sense that they would.

I don't think it is ever to late and I also don't think you will even have Alzheimers. You are to active with mind and body.

Bill

Lady DR said...

Thanks for the chuckle to start the blog (G).

Never heard of rebound headaches, although I fought migraines for most of my adult life. Fortunately, (knocking wood) they're very rare the past several years. Pat raises an interesting question, regarding whether other pain might react the same way, if one is taking pain medication of any sort every day.

There's a reason for the old cliche, "Laughter is the best medicine." I wonder if any studies have been done to learn whether happier people have a higher pain tolerance level in general.

Had read about the insulin and Alzheimer's connection and was delighted to see there may be some potential there. I hope it proves to be an effective tool for treatment. People not really familiar with Alzheimer's have no idea what an incredibly awful disease it can be.

William J. said...

Hi DR

My cousin Sharon sent me the joke. VP at Merrill Lynch in New York.

I had Never heard of rebound headaches either but I have been have headaches the past couple of weeks and it was a timely warning for me.

The cliche is right on in this case, it was good to have some scientific proof to go with it! I'd be interested in a pain tolerance vs happy people study.

People that don't know about Alzheimer's not only don't have an idea about what an awful disease it is but how many people the patient having it touches and effects their lives. Like cancer it is a family disease.

Bill

Pat said...

I wasn't thinking about myself with relation to Alzheimer's. Sheesh! That's all I need right now! {g} I was wishing I had had a remedy when my mother's mind began to go. I still don't think hers was Alzheimer's, as it came on pretty suddenly and she was pretty much okay until she hit 100 years old. But any help would have been welcome.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

How embarrassing! Sorry. My dad could have used some of it too!

Bill