Thursday, September 15, 2011

Health Day - Part Two

Today is Health Day - Part Two. We are only going to do two articles today due to the length of the second one. I am not really trying to alarm you but I found both of today's articles alarming.

http://news.yahoo.com/warns-alarming-rise-european-tb-231428504.html;_ylt=An71QpYCri9_NqPwjLnBWPCs0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTQ2MjgzdTJuBG1pdANTZWN0aW9uTGlzdCBGUCBIZWFsdGgEcGtnA2FhMjIxMDY3LTNiZWMtMzQyZS05YjJlLWFkYThjYjUyNjNhYgRwb3MDNARzZWMDTWVkaWFTZWN0aW9uTGlzdAR2ZXIDMjJlNzJkYzAtZGVjZS0xMWUwLWI3OTUtZmE2MDExYWFlZDRi;_ylg=X3oDMTFvdnRqYzJoBGludGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRwc3RhaWQDBHBzdGNhdANob21lBHB0A3NlY3Rpb25zBHRlc3QD;_ylv=3

Do you think we should worry about what is going on in other countries? Could the viruses being brought back here by travelers.

Next up is a frightening article about cosmetic surgery brought to you by the USA Today:

http://www.usatoday.com/money/perfi/basics/story/2011-09-13/cosmetic-surgery-investigation/50395494/1

Frightened enough that you are going to put plastic surgery on hold? Part Two of the article will be tomorrow.

Comment Away

Delores Ibarruri authored yesterday's quote "A woman has to be twice as good as a man to go half as far," Was authored by an American novelist. Although her books are not well remembered today she wrote numerous books during her lifetime. She was born in 1889 and died in 1968. She is now best known for the screen adaptations of her works. She was among the first to join the Lucy Stone League, an organization that fought for women to preserve their maiden names. She was active in the Urban League, and was appointed to the National Advisory Committee to the Works Progress Administration in 1940. She was also a delegate to the World Health Organization in 1952. Have you ever been on a BACK STREET? Do you think GOD MUST BE SAD? If you do you can answer the question, who authored today's quote?

6 comments:

Pat said...

The tb thing is alarming, esp. because contagion can be airborne. Is it because of overuse of antibiotics? They don't say, but that's where I'd
put my bet. Absolutely yes to both your questions.

The plastic surgery story is alarming, too. Mayb a little less so because it is elective and you have time to research your surgeon. The
question then becomes how many people know even the basics of how to do that, and of those, how many actually DO it. Interesting about the differences between "plastic" and "cosmetic" surgeons, and the different certification processes. I didn't know all that. I'll admit
to thinking that certified was certified. The death cases they cite seem to indicate ignorance of anesthesiology, so maybe a good question would be "Do you employ an anesthesiologist for your procedures?

William J. said...

Hi Pat

Interesting point about the antibiotics. I find it interesting that this warning came out at the same time as the movie Contagion.

I wonder if plastic or cosmetic surgery is always elective. Car accident, face destroyed, restored. Burn victims, etc. I research how to buy a car more than I do a doctor. And I never new the difference between plastic and cosmetic surgery or that they required different certifications. Good question about the anesthesiologist.

Bill

Lady DR said...

You're right, unsettling articles. So many people think TB is a disease "of the past." Obviously not the case. Good question about the disease "traveling" here. Didn't we, at one point in time (Ellis Island?) check incoming passengers for various diseases? It indicates TB is more prevalent among the poor, but since it's airborne...

The thing about the plastic/cosmetic surgery is horrible. I have to admit, I've never considered plastic or cosmetic surgery - I am what God made me - but I know there are many who do. If I had to have reconstructive surgery, I'd want my doctor to recommend someone and assures me he/she was board certified in *that particular* type of work. As a general rule, I did/do web page searches on doctors and those usually list board certifications. As Pat said, much of it seems to go back to anesthesiology. If someone is going to use any kind of knife, I want to be totally out of it! I do know that either plastic/cosmetic surgery is expensive, but it certainly appears discount prices are not the way to go.

William J. said...

Hi DR

I knew TB wasn't a disease of the past but I was kind of shocked at the magnitude of it. We used to check everyone coming into the country for diseas.

I hate anyone that takes advantage of someone vulnerable. And it look like that is what these quacks are doing. I'm with you on cosmetic surgery. I'll go with what God gave me but if someone else wants to have it, more power to them. And my advise would be don't do discounts.

Bill

Ellen said...

Actually, with TB the problem has not been overuse of antibiotics. Instead, the problem is that eradication of TB was that the non-resistant type requires a long course of antibiotics. Many people do begin treatment and do not take the full course of treatment (which takes 6 months or so as I recall.) The problem becomes particularly acute as TB often occurs in homeless populations and spreads there.

(I learned a lot of this when I worked for the Law Department of the City of New York and was working in that capacity with the Health Department. New York has had an ongoing fight against TB for years and years and years--and much of it has been in people who were born here.)

William J. said...

Wow Ellen

Thanks for chiming in with the information. It is good to have you comment from an informed position.

What kind of scares me about your comment is the homeless problem is getting worse. With the economy it is hitting what used to be middle class and it makes me wonder if TB is just going to get worse.

Bill