Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Stamps, Bake Sales, & Tears

Hope your day has been a great one and that you accomplished at lot. Maybe you have accomplished so much that you will get your own postage stamp:

http://news.yahoo.com/living-people-us-stamps-choose-204707260.html

What living person would like to see on the postage stamp?

I will go with Ernest Borgnine and Sandra Day O'Conner to start with.

What do you think the political future looks like? Looks like we have some brilliant politicians to look forward to:

http://news.yahoo.com/bake-sales-racial-pricing-rocks-uc-berkeley-campus-034336680.html

I think I had more common sense when I was in college than these young students. You?

Tuesday is often for tears, a good cry. The following article will help you with that:

http://www.aol.com/2011/09/25/marshall-mcclain-died-min_n_980331.html?icid=maing-grid10%7Chtmlws-sb-nb%7Cdl6%7Csec1_lnk2%7C98862

Comment Away.

Lee Grant authored yesterday's quote. "That is what leadership is all about: staking your ground ahead of where opinion is and convincing people, not simply following the popular opinion of the moment. " Was born in 1943. She is a Pulitzer Prize-winning American biographer and historian, and an oft-seen political commentator. She is the author of biographies of several U.S. Presidents, including Lyndon Johnson and the American Dream; The Fitzgeralds and the Kennedys: An American Saga; No Ordinary Time: Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt (which won the Pulitzer Prize for History in 1995); and her most recent book, Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln. Who authored today's quote?

4 comments:

Pat said...

Hmmm... postage stamps. Probably not Charlie Sheen. In fact, definitely not Charlie Sheen. Maybe George Clooney. I'd say the Obamas are good choices, both of them. Some former presidents, too, but I'd sure hate to get stuck with a roll of 100 George Bushes!

Or maybe... me. Or you, Bill.

Wouldn't you know Republican students would come up with this bake sale idea. I don't quite get how it even advances their opinions... or what their opinions are. But OTOH, I don't care. I think it's stupid and funny and everyone should just ignore them.

I never know what to say about the tearjerker stories, except yes, it was a tearjerker, and I'm glad the adoption went through in time.

Lady DR said...

Postage stamps. I could go with Sandra Day O'Conner. Or Maya Angela (the poet - I know the spelling isn't right). I can't think of a single political figure, sports figure or entertainer I'd consider worthy of a stamp. Well, maybe Alan Jackson or Toby Keith, based on the songs they write and the time they spend entertaining the troops overseas.

If the bake sale folks are our future politicians, we're in even more trouble than now.

Yes, the story was a tear jerker, with a semi-happy ending, in that the adoption went through. I'm somewhat amazed that happened, given it was obvious the child would be raised in a single parent home, but it sounds as though the extended family - both natural and church and community - will be wonderful.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I like the idea of you and I on the stamp. The Obamas would be a good idea and maybe Carter and Daddy Bush would be good choices.

I agree that everyone should just ignore the students. Pretty stupid of them.

I was just glad the guy's dying wish was successful and the girl is going to be taken good care of.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

Maya would be a great choice. And having the country music represented that is a great idea. The only sports figure I can think of that deserves on is Cal Ripken.

What a sad glimpse in to our political future the bake sale was.

I was also amazed the adoption went through considering the circumstances. It does look like an extended family will help as will the community.

Bill