Monday, September 12, 2011

Compliments, Giggles, & Strong Opinions.

I think all the women that follow my blog are beautiful and intelligent. Did I just make you feel uncomfortable?

http://www.everydayhealth.com/emotional-health/why-you-cant-take-a-compliment.aspx?xid=aol_eh-emo_19-_20110905&aolcat=HLT&icid=maing-grid10%7Chtmlws-sb-nb%7Cdl10%7Csec1_lnk2%7C94744

I don't think it is only women that can't take a compliment. I have a hell of time taking one too. Do you?

We always hear that laughter is the best medicine and it is good to enjoy a good giggle. Sometimes maybe that isn't true:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/09/08/donnetta-foster-georgia-library_n_953912.html?icid=maing-grid10%7Chtmlws-sb-nb%7Cdl8%7Csec3_lnk2%7C93872

If this lady goes to jail for her son's giggling it will be a terrible injustice. The son shouldn't even go to jail. Maybe a day's suspension. I mean can't we use common sense anymore? What do you think?

Yesterday a lot of us thought the ten year anniversary of 9-11 was overdone. The following columnist is against celebrating 9-11 at all:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/09/12/paul-krugman-911-blog-pos_n_958137.html?icid=maing-grid10%7Chtmlws-sb-nb%7Cdl14%7Csec3_lnk1%7C94808

I think Krugman makes some legitimate points but I am just not willing to go as far as he did. I am also against him shutting off comments on his blog. If you say something be willing to defend it and stand up for it. Do you think he went to far or do you agree with him?

Comment Away

"Until economic freedom is attained for everybody, there can be no real freedom for anybody. " was authored by an American journalist and author who advocated for libertarian feminism in the first half of the 20th century born in 1893 and died in 1983. As an editor she helped found several magazines. She was an early and ardent feminist and a vocal anti communist. She was active in the League of Equal Opportunity, a feminist organization that, unlike the larger National Women's Party, opposed not just sex-based minimum wage legislation, but all such legislation. She was not a traditional conservative. In the 1950s, there was no outlet for libertarian thought so she joined forces with conservatives, who at that time were closer to libertarians than any other group. En excerpt from her book, CONVERNING WOMEN, titled BEWARE OF STATE was included in THE FEMINIST PAPERS. Who authored today's quote?

6 comments:

Pat said...

Interesting about compliments. I think I can take one well a long as I think it's sincere. When it's over-the-top, I just find it embarrassing, so probably don't take it well.

I don't think the mother (or the 1 y/o son) should go to jail. They probably shouldn't even go to court. It's kind of a waste of the court's time. But I suspect she was loud and obnoxious enough to annoy everybody into overreacting, so a slap on the wrist may be in order.

I pretty much agree with Krugman. 9/11 was one of the most shocking days in our history, if not THE most shocking. But haven't we belabored it enough? Krugman is right that some unscrupulous people (#1 being George W. Bush) shamelessly used it for their own ends. And btw by so doing have caused much more death and destruction than those planes ever did. It seems to me that the more we go on and on about it so many years later, the more we encourage those who would perpetrate similar acts. They no doubt consider it their greatest success, and we keep advertising it for them.

And now maybe I should turn off comments. {g}

Mary Z said...

I pretty much agree with Krugman on this - at least his initial blog. I don't think he necessarily should have cut off comments.

Lady DR said...

Accepting compliments used to be very difficult for me - I was the typical "this old thing" responder in most areas. However, I learned that one of the issues is that this questions the judgement of the giver. Is someone thinks you look good, did a good job, created something neat, who are you to question it? I've learned to simply say "thank you," with a smile. They feel good and I feel good someone said something positive.

I think the woman and giggling child issue has gone over the top. Yes, she should probably not have over-reacted, but if her child was happy and she was job hunting... I'd much rather hear a child giggle or laugh, than whine or cry, quite frankly. If it was bothersome, why didn't one of the library staff come over and suggest a bit more quiet fun? Neither should go to jail and a trail is a waste of the public's money and the court's time.

Not sure where I am with 911. I think we need to remember the innocent people who died, people of many religions and cultures, because a group decided America was evil. I don't think we need to belabor the fact. I think we need to take a look at why we're still in various areas around the world where what we may often be battling is centuries old clan and tribal warfare and differences that may never be resolved and certainly not by outside forces. I sometimes wonder if we shouldn't just let the intelligence agencies - worldwide - do their jobs and move in when we know we have a cell or a true threat, but maybe that's overly simplistic on my part.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I think that is the key on compliments, whether or not they are sincere. But I usually get embarassed by them.

I agree with you about the Mom it would be a waste of the court's time. Suspend her from the Library for a month. But that is about all I would do.

I agree with a lot of what Krugman says but it would have a more impact with me if he would have left his comments open. He might of been surprised how many people agreed with him.

I can shut off my comments anytime if anyone wants me to (G)

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Mary Z

I agree with a lot of it, just not all of it. I am also disappointed that he shut off his comments.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

Interesting point about "judgment of the give." I've also gotten to the point where I just say thank you unless I am truly stunned, then it is "really?"

We all agree the woman and giggling is over the top. I'm with you on rathering hearing a child laugh then cry.

We need to remember 9-11 just like we remember Pearl Harbor, the part I do agree with the article is we don't need to use it as an excuse to go to war. I think the CIA is probably doing more than we know about right now.

Bill