Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Celebrating Dad.

This is the date my dad died. I am taking Mom out to lunch to discuss dad stories and husband stories. Then tonight and tomorrow I'm at Mom's. Back to my home on Friday. Sister and her husband are leaving a week from tomorrow to spend Thanksgiving with their daughter in Dallas, Texas. That means about ten days of expanded mom duties for me. In the meantime my sister is doing an extra night next week. From Friday to next Wednesday I am a free man. I do think on one of those days I will get mom out. I really am the only one that gets mom out, nobody else wants to deal with the wheelchair. If I don't make room to take mom out once in awhile on my days off it will be a long as a week before mom sees the light of day. It was the same with my dad too. I'm not complaining because often special things happen when mom and I are out. Special things happened when I took my dad out also. One of my fondest memories was once when I took my dad out for lunch, just he and I. We were talking and dad, a dementia sufferer, turned to me and said "I like being with you, you are the only one that treats me like I am here." It touched my heart to the core for so many reasons. The waitress overheard the conversation and we ended up with a free lunch. She hugged both dad and I. That memory is mine, missing from the lives that found it to difficult to take dad out.

Dad was an honest man so lets celebrate him with an article about another honest man:

http://realestate.aol.com/blog/2011/11/08/vacant-house-yields-late-owners-stash-of-cash/?icid=maing-grid10%7Chtmlws-main-nb%7Cdl2%7Csec1_lnk2%7C111065

Character is what you do when nobody is watching. This man had character.

Dad worked in my office for a few years. He would deliver information to clients and pickup information from clients. He absolutely loved it and the clients loved him. I actually had a few clients tell me one of the man reasons they came to me was because Mom and Dad worked in my office. Dad was proud of me and loved the tax advise I gave clients. The next article is to advise readers of some tax moves you can make the next couple of months:

http://www.dailyfinance.com/photos/last-minute-tax-tips/4571407/

Dad and I had many of things in common. One of which was disliking immensely going to the doctor even if we were sick. Apparently we weren't alone:

http://news.yahoo.com/sick-u-more-likely-skip-care-elsewhere-152312814.html;_ylt=AkR86xBRZHAKCSVQ3BpVz8.s0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTQyaW84YW9oBG1pdANTZWN0aW9uTGlzdCBGUCBVUwRwa2cDNGQzY2QwYTUtNjE3NC0zMTgyLWIzYzAtMGRlYTRkZjY0OTk5BHBvcwMzBHNlYwNNZWRpYVNlY3Rpb25MaXN0BHZlcgMyNjE1OWZhMC0wYWU3LTExZTEtYjA1Ni1mYjM1MmEyYzZkNWI-;_ylg=X3oDMTFpNzk0NjhtBGludGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRwc3RhaWQDBHBzdGNhdANob21lBHB0A3NlY3Rpb25z;_ylv=3

Comment Away.


QUOTE

Clara Barton authored yesterday's quote. "Nobody can be exactly like me. Even I have trouble doing it" was authored by the daughter of an Alabama Congressman and a mother who died of complications from giving birth to her. She became an actress early and famous for her flamboyant personality and deep voice. Her acting career spanned stage, film, radio, and television, and she's remembered for her carefully nurtured wild reputation. She was born in 1902 and died in 1968. Have you been on the MAIN STREET TO BROADWAY and do you know the TARNISHED LADY? If you can tell me who authored today's quote.

4 comments:

Lady DR said...

I always enjoy the blogs when you share your dad with us, Bill. Thank you. And you're right about you having moments and memories the others will never have where both your parents are concerned. I thought of that so many times, while Mom was living here with us and we'd do something together, when the others couldn't get back here to see her. Now, I'm in that same boat and know I'm missing out on time and events with Mom.

I think the a/c guy's final comment says a lot about him, the fact he shouldn't be considered a hero just because he did what was right.

Reading the article, it seemed to me it wasn't so much a case of not wanting to go see a doctor as not being able to afford to go see a doctor and/or pay for tests he/she might order. It's pretty clear that, while the US touts having the best health care techniques and such, they certainly don't have affordable health care. What good does the technology and knowledge do those who can't afford to take advantage of either?

Pat said...

Your dad sounds like a wonderful man. I wish I could have known him.

Bravo to the plumber who turned in the money he found. It's always nice to hear about an honest man.

Why am I not surprised that Americans are more likely to skip care than people in countries where they have national healthcare? Will we ever figure out that we spend way too much for way too little? Probably not.

William J. said...

Hi DR

Thanks for the nice compliment about my dad entries.

I think you did more than you share with your Mom and had a ton of stories and because of your personality probably have more than you other siblings will ever have!

To me the a/c guy is a hero because he did what was right.

Wouldn't it be nice for us to have affordable health care?

William J. said...

Hi Pat

You are exactly the type of person my dad would have loved.

I wish there were less stories about criminals and more stories about honest men. It would make me happier.

As long as we have two party political system we will never figure out that we are paying to much for to little in healthcare.

Bill