Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Health Today

Let's do health news today. Mostly good news.

First up those is one of those stories because is bad news that there is shortages but it is also good news because somebody is doing something about it:

http://news.yahoo.com/effort-reduce-drug-shortages-small-step-203331492.html

I kind of think the drug companies should have worked to prevent a shortage of living saving drugs on their own without being forced to. Now I am all for anything that makes the drug companies do the honest and correct thing.

I really like the following article. Since I am getting there anything to help the elderly is fine by me:

http://news.yahoo.com/toyota-shows-machines-help-sick-elderly-move-033258898.html

Sometimes I feel like I am under so much pressure that I just get a headache. What is the first thing you do when you get a headache? Reach for that over the counter medication? Maybe there should be a little hesitation before you do that:

http://www.everydayhealth.com/headache-migraine/11-biggest-headache-triggers.aspx?xid=aol_eh-hache_1_20111031_&aolcat=HLT&icid=maing-grid10%7Chtmlws-sb-nb%7Cdl10%7Csec1_lnk2%7C108987

Comment Away.

QUOTE

Rita Mae Brown authored yesterday's quote. "Authority without wisdom is like a heavy axe without an edge, fitter to bruise than polish" was authored by the first published poet in America. Her father and husband each served as governor of Massachusetts colony. She had eight children, and many famous Americans were her descendants, including William Ellery Channing, Wendell Phillips, and Oliver Wendell Holmes. She was born 1612 and died 1672. If you know this lady sent A LETTER TO HER HUSBAND, ABSENT UPON PUBLIC EMPLOYMENT then you can tell me who authored today's quote.

4 comments:

Lady DR said...

Lots of information and some of it contradictory (imagine our surprise)

At the risk of being a cynic, I think the drug shortages may be largely a case of greed and profit in too many cases. If it's not readily available, people will pay more. In a country touted as having the best health care in the world, there's something "not right" about patients not being able to get the medications they need to treat live-threatening illnesses, either because they aren't available or the prices are unaffordable.

Like you, I'm glad to see anything that can help the allergy. I look at the knee robotics with particular interest, as I'd give much to see Mom able to be mobile again.

The headache article is interesting. How easy it is to say "reduce stress" as opposed to implementing the suggestion. I do agree meditation is good for reduction, as is exercise, but the bottom line is reducing the stressors and that can seem near impossible. Caffeine - it IS used in many meds for migraines and is my first line of defense on the rare occasions I now have them - a med with caffeine and codeine and some minor drugs, taken with a cup of very strong Columbian. Otherwise, my coffee intake is half Columbian, half decaf, limited to two-three cups max, due to the panic disorder.

Pat said...

I saw the thing about drug shortages in the paper this morning, and was very glad to see someone addressing the problem. I ran into it myself during treatment, and had to use the brand-name, rather than the generic I had been using, at more than 4 times the price. Lots of bucks in the drug company's pocket, I imagine. I just hope Obama's executive order has some teeth.

Interesting stuff about the robotic help for movement. A boon to the disabled and to healthcare workers, too.

I rarely get headaches, which I tend to attribute to drinking a lot of coffee. If I miss my coffee, I do get a headache. If I get a bad one, I reach for the Advil.

William J. said...

Hi DR

Any time there is health information there are contradictory sides.

If you are a cynic then so am I because I also believe the shortage was caused by greed.

If Robots help, yea Robots and lets have more of them. We both would die to have our mothers mobile.

I'm a caffiene junkie. I don't get headaches very often but I do get them. And I do take aspirin.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I was thinking about you when I read the first article. It is a staart and I'd like to see it get to where you buy genric again.

I love Robots, if the are helpful Some doctors are robotic and un helpful.

I usually do aspirin because Advil conflicts with me other drugs.

Bill