Thursday, November 17, 2011

A Little History

A little review of history today. First two articles are about historical events

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/11/15/lost-john-f-kennedy-assassination-tapes-on-sale/?icid=maing-grid10%7Chtmlws-main-nb%7Cdl1%7Csec1_lnk2%7C112748

I am not surprised by anything in the above article, you?

Have you been Paris? Maybe not.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/upshot/during-world-war-france-built-fake-paris-fool-213735364.html;_ylt=AnFyo.iTVfwA8gUPHKn5GwntiBIF;_ylu=X3oDMTNqamtnOWk2BGNjb2RlA2N0LmMEcGtnA2NhN2YwYjg4LWMwMWEtMzliOC1iNTcwLWFkMmZkMTlmZmE0MQRwb3MDNARzZWMDbW9zdF9wb3B1bGFyBHZlcgNjMmM3ZDdiOC0wY2M4LTExZTEtYTBjMS03OGU3ZDE1ZDRjZjQ

Would you like to share your password with me? Here are some you should probably avoid using:

http://www.dailyfinance.com/2011/11/15/internet-insecurity-the-25-worst-passwords-of-2011/?icid=maing-grid10%7Chtmlws-main-nb%7Cdl23%7Csec3_lnk1%7C112724

Comment Away

QUOTE

Isabelle Allende authored yesterday's quote. "A bird does not sing because he has an answer. He sings because he has a song" was authored by a writer and illustrator of children's book who is best known for her round-faced, featureless characters and her inspirational messages, inspired largely from her own children, Joy and Todd. Her characters grace figurines, hand-made plaques, notecards, cross stitch patterns and ornaments. Her publishing success began with her first book, A Friend is Someone Who Likes You in 1958. During her lifetime she has written and illustrated over 75 children's books, selling over 40 million copies world wide. Perhaps you recognize her from a quarterly piece in Good Housekeeping or other titles like In A Pumpkin Shell (1960) or The Brave Cowboy (1959)? Regardless of how you know her because she has become a part of American culture and her words touch the hearts of children across generations. "Praise, like sunlight," she writes, "helps all things grow." Who authored today's quote?

4 comments:

Pat said...

The Kennedy assassination tapes would certainly be interesting to hear, but $500,000??? Not that interesting. I guess I was surprised by the article, as I hadn't heard of either this or the totally unedited tape or the more heavily edited one.

Good story about the fake Paris. Too bad they never used it, and too bad London didn't have one.

I don't use any of those passwords, though I thought a couple of them might be obscure enough. The really weird ones that you're advised to use are just too obscure to remember. I always thought using "password" was funny.

Lady DR said...

Intriguing article about the un-edited tapes. Didn't know there were still tapes available. This one is a bit above my touch, but sounds like they're going to make it available to the public? Won't that reduce its purchase value?

Never, ever, heard of the fake Paris. Too bad it was never finished and no longer exists. Would have been interesting to see. Great idea.

I don't use any of the passwords listed as "worst." Mine probably aren't the greatest, but since everything/place seems to need a password, I try to keep mine simple as possible and memorable. Worst case, I have a "hidden" notebook with the info. Good example was when we bought the car. They needed to verify funds and couldn't figure out the account number and asked me to go online and access my accounts with the bank. Since I'd just changed passwords and user ID, due to change over to Wells Fargo, it's a darned good thing they gave me more than three attempts! OTOH, that would mean a hacker could just keep trying until he/she found the right combination, if they had any clue as to what either might be.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I think the five hundred grand is all relative if I had Warren Buffet's net worth I'd be all for it and would try buying it. I hadn't heard of the tape either.

I never new about the fake Paris but what an inventive idea.

I don't write down passwords so have to use ones that are meaningful to only me. Password as a Password is a very funny password.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

I didn't know there were tapes either. I hope they make them available to the public because it would be interesting to see how are leaders acted in the worst of crisis. It would reduce its purchase value if they were public but you still have the antique value. If it was me I would donate them to The Kennedy Library.

The fake Paris blew me away I wanted it to be finished and be a place where people visited as part of WWI history.

Mine are easy to remember hard for anyone else to ignore. I'm with your because mine aren't the greatest either. You just gave me an idea, I also need a secret notebook!

Bill