Tuesday, November 8, 2011

One For The Little Guy

One for the little guy:

http://www.oregonlive.com/environment/index.ssf/2011/11/opponents_force_imperial_oil_t.html

Good for those folks for standing up to the oil companies.

One for the older folks.

http://news.yahoo.com/age-gap-rises-economic-well-being-050133729.html;_ylt=AthdpKgW_ZKbMlV._JREWI.s0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTNsN2Roc2hvBG1pdANUb3BTdG9yeSBGUARwa2cDMTY3MDQ0YTEtMWQ3ZS0zODM1LWE5MmMtNzdhYTgzNTZmZjU4BHBvcwMzBHNlYwN0b3Bfc3RvcnkEdmVyAzQ2MTJmZTcyLTA5NDAtMTFlMS1iYjVhLTc4ZTdkMTVlYTE0OA--;_ylg=X3oDMTFpNzk0NjhtBGludGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRwc3RhaWQDBHBzdGNhdANob21lBHB0A3NlY3Rpb25z;_ylv=3

I have mixed emotions about this. I am glad those in or close to retirement have funds but if you take the hope away from the youth you take the hope away from the nation.

Let's end the day with some stunning pictures:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/08/new-7-wonders-vote-for-the-new-7-wonders-of-nature_n_1079795.html?ref=travel&icid=maing-grid10%7Chtmlws-sb-nb%7Cdl1%7Csec3_lnk1%7C110750

I love the Brazil falls. That gets my vote. What gets your vote?

Comment Away.


QUOTE

Antoinette Brown Blackwell authored yesterday's quote. "I may sometimes be willing to teach for nothing, but if paid at all, I shall never do a man's work for less than a man's pay" was authored by a woman who had been a schoolteacher and the first woman to be a clerk at the US Patent Office, served in the Civil War nursing soldiers and distributing supplies for the sick and wounded. She spent four years tracking down missing soldiers at the end of the war. She established the first permanent American Red Cross society and headed the organization until 1904. She was born in 1821 and died in 1912. Have you been to 5801 Oxford Road, Glen Echo, Maryland? If you go there now you can tell me who authored today's quote.

4 comments:

Pat said...

Bravo to the folks who said no to gigantic loads on their road.

Well, good for us for still being solvent, I guess. The stats would be a lot different if younger people could still get good jobs.

Great photos. I guess I thought the Grand Canyon was already one of the 7 Wonders. But now that I look it up, I find there are several different 7 Wonders lists. Who knew?

I loved the Angel Falls, but that may have just been the good photo with the nice clouds.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I looked at the folks ages that fought the oil companies and I really admire their fight.

I wish younger people could get a job. But 47% widening between 1984 and now had jobs in their for part of the years.

I knew there were two seven wonders of the world. But I didn't know there were several! Good point about the clouds that did make the photo look nicer.

Bill

Lady DR said...

Kudos to the folks fighting the megaloacs!

I have some questions about the report on the economic gags. For one thing, housing wealth may be related to the fact that younger folks paid a lot more and have a lot less equity, than older folks who paid less and have paid off the mortgage. I also wonder about what the credit card climate has contributed -- Older folks didn't have credit card debt and were very hesitant to take out loans. Many in the younger generations are up to their ears in credit card and loan debt, which would seriously depletes their net worth. Yes, the job market is an issue, but many got in way over their heads before the economy tanked and many continue to live on credit cards.

The seven wonders of the world... I also thought the Grand Canyon was included. Of the options, besides the GC, I liked Brazil, Angel Falls and the Underground River, but what would they displace? I'd have to do comparisons, I guess.

William J. said...

Hi DR

When I read stories like the oil story it makes me wish I had an issue to stand up for and also makes me wonder why I don't.

I think you pegged some of the reasons for the economic gap between old and young. I am going to add college loans and no jobs to pay them off. It is hard enough to pay off the student loans with a job let alone without one. I also think the economic polices of the country for the past several years lead to the reduction of the middle class and the split in economic. It is just to bad that politicians just don't have a clue where they have led us and refuse to take corrective measures.

I also thought the Grand Canyon was one of the seven wonders. The problem I have is the seven. Why to we have to limit to seven?

Bill