Sunday, April 22, 2012

A Hundred Buck Attitude

Let's start the day off with ten things you should know today:

http://news.yahoo.com/10-things-know-today-april-22-2012-093000400.html;_ylt=AqO.nUipVxGkK.wUcXAkZECs0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTQzbWMybXZkBG1pdANPcGluaW9uIEZyb250IFBhZ2UEcGtnAzQ1MjJmMGVjLTRlOWEtM2NjYi1iZjhlLTgxMmNhMjIxOWIxYQRwb3MDMQRzZWMDTWVkaWFTZWN0aW9uTGlzdAR2ZXIDZjNkMjE3MDAtOGM4MC0xMWUxLTlmZGYtNTNhZmI4NjVlYmY3;_ylg=X3oDMTFrM25vcXFyBGludGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRwc3RhaWQDBHBzdGNhdAMEcHQDc2VjdGlvbnMEdGVzdAM-;_ylv=3

The cruise was great. The weather was questionable in the morning but just as we were standing in line to board the cruise the clouds went away and the sun came out and stayed the rest of the day. The food was absolutely delicious. I had the chicken pomodore. Every was given a Caesar salad before the main course. Everything was on the firm including drinks. It was an absolutely perfect way to end tax season. And look what was given to the employees during the cruise:



(click on picture to enlarge it)

My last week was as follows. Monday I finished up at work about 2 then went and did some errands for Mom. I also went to downtown Portland to check where the parking was for the cruise and where we boarded. Tuesday was the movie The Hunger Games. To damn long. Wednesday was putting the finishing touches on my tax return. I put it on the back burner when I found out I owed a ton. Thursday was Mom day. Mom & I went to the heart doctor. Then we stopped for lunch. The while I did two loads of laundry at her house we played three games of Scrabble. I fixed a nice dinner for us. Made coffee for Mom and the caregiver for the next morning. I had to stop at the pharmacy on the way home. I got home about 9. Long day. Friday was personal errand day. Haircut. Car Wash. Grocery shopping. Dry cleaners. Gas up..

On the agenda this week is today is paying bills, lunch at Mom's, and a little pickup around the house. Tomorrow probably a movie. Tuesday the troops are going out to celebrate the end of tax season. Wednesday my sister and her husband leave for Texas so Mom duty begins. Wednesday night and all day Thursday at Mom's. Friday and Saturday is making sure meals are provided for Mom and the caregiver. I don't want to brag but they like my meals better than sister's.

That is it for the day. What was on your agenda last week? What is on your agenda for next week? Need prayers and good vibes for yourself, your relatives, or your friends? Something bothering you and you need to vent? Fire away. The blog is yours today so post anything you damn well please. I love hearing about your lives.

8 comments:

Pat said...

Interesting "ten things". Most of them I hadn't heard about yet at all.

Nice present they gave all of you, and lovely note just for you. I'm glad the weather decided to cooperate for the cruise.

Nothing much going on here. Yesterday I was out in the yard in about 90 degrees battling the bamboo that will suddenly shoot up in the lawn. After I finished murdering those shoots (I hope), the weather cooled down, so I should have waited, but who knew?

My shoulder is still giving me fits, so I could use a few good vibes for it to get back to normal.

Lady DR said...

Skimmed the "10 Things," as I'm avoiding negatives.

Delighted to hear the cruise was such fun and what a nice bonus!

You've had a busy week and the next one sounds equally busy. Please take care of yourself, while you're caring for Mom and others.

I did the standard pool and line dance. Spent most of the week expanding, updating and pondering the cancer book. IOW, writing, rather than researching, altho I identified future research to be done. Took a brain vacation for the weekend. After delivering the clothes to the Mission, I 'treated' myself to some new summer tops. The temps immediately dropped 20 degrees and we've been in jackets all week. New washer and dryer delivered, excellent delivery guys, who did all the hookups and gave advice (neither of which they were supposed to do). Have decided to set book aside, until I feel organized for our May 5th departure. Lists of what has to go with us, lists of what has to be done before we leave and just starting through them. When I feel all is done but last minute items, I'll go back to the book and be better able to focus.

One thing I've found somewhat disturbing is that many of the resources for the cancer book have websites, but no 800 numbers or phone numbers at all. I know we're a computer society, but many people still don't have computers or aren't 'savvy' about the internet.

Am amazed I'm really enjoying the Kindle and finding it easy to read, although I can't imagine giving up print books. Due to a couple loops I stumbled across, I'm getting almost daily lists of free or 99 cent downloads and some of them are pretty darned good, based on reviews, both fiction and non- fiction. Am reading a couple of the non-fiction ones now. Also developing a list of library possibilities for selections that run $25+. The "free" books are looking for (a) posted reviews and (b) luring you into the earlier books in the series. The 99 cent are looking for reviews and I know they're getting 85 cent royalties on every sale, so I don't feel I'm 'cheating' the author. I shall probably do the same promotions on any of my books. What's equally interesting is the number of books I've found by first time authors, who were rejected by traditional houses, whose works are as good as or better than multi-published traditional writers. They're getting 4 and 5 star reviews from me.

Delighted to see the blog is back to allowing comments at the side of your post and others' comments!

Pat, if the shoulder continues bad, will you please see a doc or at least call your doc?

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I heard about half of the ten things.

The weather was surprising and just made it a perfect day. I still may get a bonus on top of it.

You are inspiring, I need to mow my lawn today. Off to plug my electric mower in and charge it.

Ouch on the shoulder so you have my good vibes that it heals immediately.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

I thought there were some positive things on the list, like the perfect game pitched.

I still may get another bonus this is just a tax free gift. I am using it to take the troops out tomorrow night for dinner.

It is going to be pretty busy for the next ten days until sister gets back. I have made sure to get my walking in even amongst all the errands.

Sounds like you had a pretty week also and another one coming up. It always pleases me to see you getting the pool and line dance in.

I'm excited at that progress you are making on the cancer book. It is so needed.

Shopping is always mentally refressing!

I am glad you had excellent delivery guys and ones willing to give advise.

Sometimes taking a break for writing results in new ideas and new energy.

That just doesn't make sense that the web sites don't have 800 numbers.

Kindles are supposed be easy to use from what I have heard, I just haven't made that step yet as I kind of like holding a book in my hands. Sounds like the downloads are both cheap and intersting! It doesn't suprise me that the rejected authors or just as good as the published ones.

Bill

Unknown said...

The cruise sounds lovely, glad you had a good day out. Nice present too, from your bosses.

William J. said...

Thanks Snug!

We had a great time and I hope they do that next year too!

Bill

Pat said...

About the sites not having 800 numbers... They also never seem to give addresses for sending contributions. I do NOT like making contributions by credit card, so if an address isn't available, my charity goes elsewhere. I wish they would realize this.

William J. said...

Pat

I quit making contributions to anyone but local charities just for that reason.


Bill