Friday, November 12, 2010

Enlarge, Speeders, & Art Work.

In the comments section in yesterday's post Pat indicated it was hard to read the articles on Alzheimer's because the print was to small. In a bit of synchronicity one of the articles I found today had just the advise needed on how to enlarge the print. I tried it on the "I'm Still Hill" article and I'll be damned it worked. Just place the cursor anywhere on the article and hit control and + at the same time. A larger version of the article will appear. It works on any article you find on the Internet. If the font is to big, then hit the control - key at the same time and the font will reduce in size. The same article had some other interesting advise:

http://daol.aol.com/articles/personalize-your-computer?icid=main%7Chtmlws-main-n%7Cdl5%7Csec1_lnk3%7C183778

Next up is a German Judge that has an interesting take on speeders:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20101111/od_nm/us_germany_drivers_speeding_odd;_ylt=AmMZoxEanR0KHHMJTHzoUnCs0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTFmYjg4OWJwBHBvcwMxOTcEc2VjA2FjY29yZGlvbl9vZGRfbmV3cwRzbGsDZ2VybWFuanVkZ2Vs

I will end this day with some advise. Look around your house for some Chinese vases. Why? Check out the following article:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gDkhEjtSUMBc9Ejv_10-dpobLP6w?docId=2fb48fad394e4a78b5310d9e247fe988

That is it for the day. Hope this start of the weekend will be a great day leading to a great weekend for all of you. You know the drill, your comments are always appreciated!


TODAY'S WHO AM I?

I was born in 1853 and died in 1933. I was an American lecturer, writer, and political activist. I was an advocate of the suffrage movement as well as temperance but I was best known for my work with the Populist party. I was born to Irish immigrants. At the age of twenty I moved to Kansas to teach school and married three years later. I believed that big business had made the people of America into "wage slaves", declaring, "Wall Street owns the country. It is no longer a government of the people, by the people, and for the people, but a government of Wall Street, by Wall Street, and for Wall Street. It is widely believed that I exhorted Kansas farmers to "raise less corn and more hell." I later said that the admonition had been invented by reporters. I was recognized as being a powerful orator who was adept at expressing the discontent of the people. I was often heavily criticized. I was accused of being overly vulgar and foulmouthed. I was described by a republican editor as "the petty coated smut-mill [...] Her venomous tongue is the only thing marketable about the old harpy, and we suppose she is justified in selling it where it commends the highest price." It was attempted to remove me from my own party and my outraged reaction at the attempt to have her removed prompted even my own party members to distance themselves from me. Yet this was not the end of my political career. I again came into the spotlight when Theodore Roosevelt was elected into office. I felt that my work and efforts with the Populist party had finally been rewarded: "In these later years I have seen, with gratification, that my work in the good old Populist days was not in vain. The Progressive party has adopted our platform, clause for clause, plank by plank." I divorced my husband in 1902 and spent the rest of my life with one or another of my children in the East until my death in 1933. Literary scholar Brian Attebery claimed me to have been the model for Dorothy in L. Frank Baum's The Wonderful Wizard of Oz. If you are not sure who I am by now maybe you should ask yourself if WALL STREET OWNS THE COUNTRY, that you should help you answer the question, Who Am I?

4 comments:

Pat said...

I control-plused 5 times on that Alzheimer's stuff, and by then it was a readable size, but very washed out and still awkward to read. I failed to remember "Readability", which I had gotten from Akkana and never used. Just now tried it, and it turned out to be the best solution, though the print is still washed-out and unclear.

Interesting about the judge. I didn't think you COULD speed in Germany, with autobahn speeds running around 90 mph.

Don't have to look. Not a single Chinese vase to be found in my house. Too bad about that.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

When I tried it, it came out in large nice readable print. Maybe it only works on Windows systems.

I was kind of surprised at speeding in Germany too. I alwyas heard their were no speed limits on the autobahn.

But there may be some valuable art work lying around. I know I'm going to check!

Bill

Lady DR said...

Interesting article on the computers. Another way to increase/decrease size of fonts is to hold down the Control key and roll the scroll thingie in the center of your mouse, which is what I usually do.

Not sure I agree with the judge's assessment of speed not contributing to accidents, but I suspect it makes a difference whether he's talking about in town or on the autoban, as Pat pointed out.

Not a Chinese vase in the house. However, we do have a parchment done and signed by one of Japan's "national treasurers" (their term for the very, very best of their artists). Hmmmm...

William J. said...

Hi DR

Thanks for the tip! That is easier that control +

On the speeding judge I thought it was interesting that one of the reasons he let the speeders go was because he thoguht the only reason they were giving tickets was to give the city/county money. That is what we used to think growing and we had the theory that the last two days of the month cops gave a lot of tickets to meet a financial quota.

I'd still check out the art in your house you just never know what you will find.

Bill