Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Run Bambi Run

I remember the story well. A police officer was convicted of killing her husband's ex-wife. After sent to prison she escaped and fled to Canada. Several people in Wisconsin thought she was innocent and wore "Run Bambi Run" t-shirts. I didn't know she was in good old Portland, Oregon. She died last week in our fair city. Here is the story:

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/index.ssf/2010/11/laurie_bambi_bembenek_a_former.html

When I read about the case I also thought she was innocent and was wrongfully convicted. Being a former Playboy Bunny may have influenced the jury and maybe caused some sexism on the police force. I thought her husband was guilty. Do you remember the story? Did you think she was guilty or innocent?

Although it wasn't an eye witness account that convicted Bambi in a lot of trials the eye witness accounts are the nail in the coffin. Just how reliable are eye witness accounts? Check out the following article:

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/109543674.html?showAll=y&c=y

Does it surprise you how wrong eye witness accounts can be?

Enough of the legal stuff. I love gaffes. I make enough of them myself that when someone in power makes a gaffe it makes me feel better about the ones I make. Here is kind of an embarrassing one made my Canada's Industry Minister:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20101123/od_nm/us_sex_clement_odd

Do we need more stories about sex? Does Canada need more stores about sex?

Hope this is a great day for you, your comments are appreciated.

PS

The answer to yesterday's who am I was Emma Willits

4 comments:

Pat said...

I vaguely remember the Bambi Bembenek story, but never knew enough to have a real opinion as to her guilt or innocence. Since apparently she ended up pleading "no contest" (which pretty much means guilty) to second degree, I'd guess she did have something to do with the murder. But my guess is worth what you're paying for it. {g}

I have long been aware that eyewitness testimony is suspect and is often wrong. I know I'd be a terrible eyewitness, especially if it involved identifying a person I'd only seen once and fleetingly. So if it ever came up, I think I'd decline to do it unless for some odd reason I was completely sure. The problem is that a lot of these mistaken witnesses ARE completely sure.

Couldn't say whether Canada needs more sex stories, but I think I can say with some confidence that we don't need any more here. We have quite enough.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I actually think this is one case where no contest actually meant no contest. She was found guilty and sentenced to life in prison in the first trial. She escaped and after she was captured was return to prison. A judge overturned her original trial and rather than risk going back to prison she pleaded no contest and was given probation as part of the plea agreement.

I'd decline to tesitfy as an eye witness unless I was 100 percent sure and he or she didn't have a twin.

I agree we certainly don't need anymore sex stories here!

Bill

Lady DR said...

Like Pat, I vaguely remember the Bambi story. Based on what was in the article, along with new evidence, it does sound like wrongful conviction and if "no contest" got her probation, i.e. freedom, I can understand her plea. It's interesting the only "evidence" they present in the article is her alleged resentment of the alimony her husband had to pay.

As to eye witnesses, I'm not surprised by the report. I think one of the major issues of line-ups and photo ID is that the police pretty much ask "which" of the individuals the witness recognizes, rather than asking if the witness recognizes any of the individuals, which leaves the witness free to say "none of them." Heck, if you review eye witness reports of a fender-bender, you'll find they report different make/model/color of car, as well as of the people involved. I think there's value in asking witnesses to describe the perp to a police artist. However, there are times such a description seems to fit someone the police are already keeping an eye on, for whatever reason, and if they think the description fits, they may lead the witness to further identifying that particular person. Ergo, I think there has to be other evidence to substantiate eye witness testimony.

As to the Canadian IM's gaffe - well, one does have to wonder just where his mind was (wry g). I don't know what the situation is in Canada, but I'm in full agreement with you and Pat - we have more than enough sex stories, sexy advertising, sexual innuendo in almost all phases of the media and in most television shows. I sometimes wonder why that is.

William J. said...

Hi DR

You can read Bambi's full story here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laurie_Bembenek

She was suing the police department and cooperating with authorites for corruption in the Milwaukie police department and people think the police set her up to get rid of. Her husband's off duty weapon was the murder weapon. Her husband had also been involved previously in the murder of another officer for which he was found innocent. A prisoner confessed to the murder. The son of the victim said it wasn't Babmi he seen in the house. The only evidence that convicted her in the first trial were hair left at the scene and the expert that said they were Bambi's hair later recanted his testimony.

It is interesting your comments about the photo i.d. because a couple of days ago I was reading an article about that and some police departments are changing the way they show the photos to witnesses. Not showing the photos all at one time for example. I will see if I can find that article for tomorrow's post.

You do have to wonde where the IM's mind was!

Bill