Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Still Disorganized.

The answer to yesterday's Who Am I was the amazing Clara S. Foltz.

This is the anniversary of my Dad's death and I know it will be hard for Mom . I am taking Mom to lunch discus Dad's life, hopping that will make this day easier for her.

This is day two of being disorganized. I'm so disorganized that the first article is titled Money Saving Monday. An interesting article to share on a Tuesday? Don't worry I haven't completely lost either my mind or track of time as some of the savings are for any day of the week:

http://www.parentdish.com/2010/11/08/10-great-deals-to-start-your-week/?icid=main%7Chtmlws-main-n%7Cdl6%7Csec1_lnk3%7C182992

Did you even wonder where the smartest people lived? Neither Portland or Los Angeles made the top ten but Seattle ranked number nine. I guess coffee is better for the brain than bicycles and smog. My guess it that the smartest city in the U.S. will surprise you:

http://realestate.aol.com/pictures/feature/americas-smartest-cities?icid=main%7Chp-laptop%7Cdl9%7Csec1_lnk3%7C183066

Next up is am article about a reflective ex President, George W. Bush. While I may not be a fan of his administration I appreciated his honesty in the article. He admitted some mistakes and explained some decisions. He also had some surprising admissions like considering dumping Cheney when he ran for re-election.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2010-11-09-1Abush09_CV_N.htm

That is it for the day. May this be a smart and reflective day full of free stuff for you! Comment on anything or everything!

4 comments:

Pat said...

Bill, I hope your anniversary lunch with mom is full of warm memories and little sadness.

Nice article on free stuff, but I don't see anything there that I particularly want. There seems very little I do want these days, which I guess is a Good Thing.

Research does show that coffee improves a lot of brain functions. {g} Interesting to see that San Jose is #3, since my very smart daughter and SIL live there. But while they are right to put my kids' city close to the top in intelligence, I see they are simply going by how many residents have college degrees. I'm not sure that's the only criterion.

The best thing about the Bush article (not that I read it all) is that he says after his book tour, he'll try to "regain anonymity". Yes, Mr. Bush, please disappear.

Lady DR said...

I'm so glad you and Mom are going (went) to lunch, to talk about your dad. So many people avoid that, even after years, yet I found it so comforting to be able to talk about Daddy and, later, about Walt and the good times.

Like Pat, there are few of the freebies I'd take advantage of. I am glad to see the freebies list for veterans, as we owe them so much.

Again, with Pat, I think defining the smartest cities by college grads alone is less than accurate. It was nice to see Raleigh in 4th place. Actually, most of the cities listed have numerous colleges and grad schools and/or research industries, which I suspect contributes. Still, I'm not sure a degree guarantees "smarts" in all cases.

Enjoyed reading the article on Bush. As you say, appreciated the honesty and candor. Interesting to see why he made some of the decisions he did and his admission of mistakes. Bottom line is what most of us have to deal with - you do the best you can, with what you've got, at the given moment in time.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

The lunch was fun. Met some really nice people and had a good time.

I don't the free coffee at 7-11 and Burger King kind of interested me!

The survey didn't include how many earned their degrees and how manyn bought them. I also know a lot of dumb people with degrees and a lot of smart one without them.

In the article Bush admits they didn't find any weapons of mass destructions. That disputes reports on some news agencies and talk shows. He also mentions the bail outs started in 2008 when he was still president and before Obama was even elected. Right now you listen to the air waves the bailouts were all Obama.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

We have talked before about how important it is not to ignore anniversaries and other important dates like birthdays of lost loved ones. It really helpe to recognize them head on instead of ignore them. Mom and I had a nice time today. It was comforting.

I live close to a Burger King to their free coffee interests me.

I also don't college degrees is a sign of intelligence. In many cases it can be just the opposite.

It was interesting to read the Bush article. It did answer some questions and dispute some things that are going on now.

Bill