Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Unusual Day

Tonight I am at Mom's. She is hosting a bridge party so I will help her set it up. She loves to play bridge, talk, and be a hostess. Tomorrow I have a lunch appointment with a friend and former business associate. She is one of my favorite people.It is going to be a busy couple of days. Being busy forced me to get organized for the first time this week.

Some days I struggle to find things for the blog but today there were so many things that appeared before me that I had to decide whether I should go with unusual, health, or the interesting. I chose unusual.

Do you have an old airplane sitting around that you don't know what to do with? You can do what the lady in the following article did, make a home out of it:

http://www.shelterpop.com/2010/11/09/plane-home/?icid=main%7Chp-laptop%7Cdl12%7Csec3_lnk1%7C183165

Not unusual enough for you? How about a vacuum made out of oceanic garbage? How about keeping the elderly fit by employing sensors?

http://www.switched.com/2010/11/05/week-in-design-electrolux-trash-alessi/?icid=main%7Chp-laptop%7Cdl9%7Csec3_lnk3%7C183126

Let's move on to unusual contests:

http://www.asylum.com/2010/11/09/gurning-faces-pictures/?icid=main%7Chp-laptop%7Cdl4%7Csec4_lnk1%7C183197

I might have a shot at winning that contest!

Hope you enjoy the unusual. Have a healthy and fun day. As always comments are appreciated.


WHO AM I?

I was born in 1894 and died in 1988. I was sent by my father to the Cincinnati Conservatory of Music, so that I could earn a living teaching music lessons. However, I enrolled in the National University Law School instead and earned my law degree. Despite passing the District of Columbia bar I was not welcomed into the professional associations by male lawyers—the District of Columbia Bar Association returned my application and check for dues. I said the hell with them and with other women lawyers formed our own professional associations, including the Woman's Bar Association of the District of Columbia and the National Association of Women Lawyers. I went on to form my own law firm with two other women. I worked closely with the suffragist National Woman's Party, eventually serving as the organization's counsel. I represented the party in its effort to prevent condemnation of its Washington headquarters by the federal government; the land was condemned and the U.S. Supreme Court erected on the site, but I successfully obtained the largest condemnation settlement awarded by the U.S. government at the time. I would become a judge of the United States District Court for the District of Columbia and be the first woman appointed to serve on a U.S. district court. I heard several newsworthy cases, including the passport denial of actor Paul Robeson and the bribery trial of Jimmy Hoffa. I served as an active-duty judge until 1968 when I took senior status and served as a senior district judge until my death. If you don't know who I am by now maybe you should think about TORTS OVER TEMPO. That should help you answer the question, Who Am I?

4 comments:

Pat said...

The "Wing House" is fantastic! I'd love to see some photos of the interior when it's finished. I'd also love to live in it.

Afraid I don't "get" the "el:Dudy". What are you supposed to do with it? Nor do I understand the lamp. I'd love to try out the big rearview screen, though it might be entirely too distracting to live with. I like Giovannoni's cell phones, and the little couch and bedside lamp.

Gurning is just weird!

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I would also love to see the inside of the wing house. I'm not so sure I would love to live in it.

There were a lot of inventioins I didn't understand but the rearview screen did fascinate me.

I am not sure I could do gurning, what if you face never went back!

Bill

Lady DR said...

How went the bridge party?

Love the wing house and, like Pat, I'd like to see the interior, like you, not sure I'd want to live in it. Since architecture fascinates me, I visited the other sites. I could go for the cliff house, I think.

Again, with Pat, I just don't "get" the dudy, but I'd sure like to try out the rear view screen, especially if you could turn it off and still have regular rear view mirrors. Missed the couch and lamp, so will have to go back and check them out.

As to gurning -- when we were kids and made faces like that, Mom said to be careful, in case our faces "froze" in that expression.

William J. said...

Hi DR

The bridge game is going on as I write this.

It looks like we all want the rearview lights!

The airplane home is just unique. If I lived in it I would worry about the effects of fuel and its lingering smell.

I think I will leave the gurning to those in the article.

Bill