Saturday, November 6, 2010

Spring Forward, Fall Back.

This is the day that most of us folks in the United States set our clocks BACK one hour. Normally I complain about the worthless task and I am in the pro leaving the damn clocks alone camp. However, since my day started out with such a marvelous thing as a computer that had crashed a month ago fixing itself I'm in to good of a mood to complain about how awful changing the clock twice a year is. Normally I would say it screws up my sleep patterns & my Mom's medication schedule. Normally I would say pick either standard time or daylight savings time and just keep it. I don't really care which time you choose. However, thanks to the Gods fixing my computer I'm not going to do that. Nope, I am going to tell you where you can get meals under ten bucks at fancy restaurants:

http://www.walletpop.com/blog/2010/10/28/for-less-than-10-top-10-meals-for-your-money/?icid=main%7Chtmlws-main-n%7Cdl3%7Csec1_lnk3%7C182555

OK, I lied. Not all on the list are fancy restaurants but you can still get good meals at places like Denny's.

Instead of complaining about how all the signs on stores that say "open 24 hours" are wrong tomorrow because they will be open 25 hours I am going to share an article that I hope will keep you as healthy as my now fixed computers:

http://www.walletpop.com/blog/2010/11/05/5-germ-filled-places-where-youre-most-likely-to-catch-a-cold-or/?icid=main%7Chtmlws-main-n%7Cdl3%7Csec4_lnk2%7C182555

I truly don't know how you avoid some of the places on the list except by wearing surgical gloves and painting masks which I condone completely. I would suggest, however, that you don't wear ski masks.

I'm going to end with advise for any four year olds that you might know and pass on the advise to them. Don't run into elderly ladies with your trikes. You can be sued:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20101101/od_nm/us_lawsuit_child

Your comments are appreciated.

PS

The answer to yesterday's Who Am I was Betty Ann Waters.

6 comments:

cd0103 said...

I am okay as long as you leave it year round on Standard time. I simply never adjust to Daylight Savings time.

William J. said...

Hi Connie

Always nice to see you post.

I would be fine with standard time.
I just don't like what changing the clocks do to my mind or body or my Mom's medication schedule.

The number one day of the year for car accidents according to some articles that I read is the day in November when they turn the clock back.

Bill

Pat said...

Oh, funny about your computer fixing itself! My new(er) car, which is otherwise very smart, re-set its clock last week, going by the old system. So did my VCR (yes, I do still have a VCR). I just left them alone, as being two more things I didn't have to reset tonight. I'm with you about leaving the darned clocks alone. Pick either time standard and stick with it! I must admit, however, that I like that extra hour of sleep in November, but I hate the one where we lose an hour, so it balances out.

I can understand how people get crazy about lurking germs. I mostly ignore all this advice and don't too often get sick, tho' I did get some bug a month or two ago that sure liked me and wanted to stay with me far too long. I have no idea where I picked it up.

As to suing 4 year-olds, I just think that's weird. The parents probably should have been better at supervising, but without knowing more about the circumstances, who can say who's culpable?

Lady DR said...

I'm with the majority - leave the darned clocks alone. Set them on standard time and leave it at that.

The restaurant list was interesting. A shame all the meals are lunches, as I rarely get out for lunch. Fortunately, we have a local Mexican restaurant and a Chinese restaurant with reasonable prices and Texas Roadhouse has a number of dinner entries at right around $10, including two sides.

Like Pat, I try not to worry overmuch about germs, although I am pretty careful about washing my hands. The stats on hospitals and info on food handlers working while six is a bit worrisome.

Suing a four year old? We never would have thought of such a thing. The fact the older woman died may have been a driving force? I suspect there may be more to this story than we're seeing.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I can't but help if Norton did a check and fixed it automatically.

My video recorder and TV also set automatically last week but my car isn't as smart as yours and didn't set its own clock

I'm with you about leaving the darned clocks alone. Pick either time standard and stick with it!

The only thing I like about the November change is it is the only day of the year my brother is on time.

I'm probably a little more crazy about germs than the normal person. I try to use that thing at the door to the grocery store to wipe of the grocery cart.

I thought it was kind of unusual for two four yea-olds to be out there alone. If the parents were with them they should haved automatically helped the ladies and offered to py the medical bills.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

I think we have a leave the clock alone movement here since we all agree!

I'm just the opposite as you, I rarely go out to dinner but go to lunch a lot. And even if I do dinner, I often order off of the breakfast or lunch menus.

I was kind of surprised also about the food hanlders and the hospital workers, there are two areas were employees whould be extremely careful.

Like I told Pat, I can't help but think the parents were watching and they are the ones that failed when the four year-olds hit the elderly ladies.

Bill