Sunday, November 21, 2010

A Late Update, Snow May Be Coming.

I'm late with my update today for a couple of reasons. I actually slept in this morning and got a late start to the day. Then it was off to breakfast with the guys. After which I needed to get some shopping done. They are predicting snow or ice for tonight and into the morning. I wanted to have some things on hand just in case I became housebound. Simple things like bread and milk. I didn't get home until just a little while ago.

Last week it was three nights at Mom's instead of the planned two. The caregiver never gets a flu shot because she has a phobia of them. Because she doesn't get her flu shot she gets sick four or five times a winter. She went home sick Friday morning so I did Friday night. Sister did last night and is doing tonight. I get Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. Last week besides the nights at Mom's there were some work related projects, the movie Unstoppable, the suit purchase, and house related things.

Next week of course we have Thanksgiving. I love Thanksgiving. Looking forward to it. It is going to be sister, her husband, Mom, and myself. My niece Kristi and her family may come too. The more the merrier. There will be three to five nights at Mom's. Checking raffle tickets on Tuesday to see if I am a millionaire. Picking up the suit on Wednesday. Then the process of starting to think about Christmas shopping. Other than that it looks like a slow week.

The Entertainment update. Kicked off of The Apprentice was Stephanie. Her ego was bigger than the Grand Canyon so I wasn't sorry to see her go. Now if they can kick Lisa to the curb it will be even better. I'm picking Clint to win it all. On The Amazing Race another one of my favorite teams bit the dust, the father and daughter team. I do think for the first time in the history of the show a female team is going to win the race. The two doctors. Dancing With The Stars eliminated the perfect scorers Brandy and Max. Bristol Palin made it another week despite being the worst dancer on the show. It has created a lot of controversy making newspapers and newscasts everywhere. There were reports that several sites that supported Palin programmed over fifty thousand phony email addresses and sent in five votes per each email address for her. Frankly, I do think Palin will win and if she does I won't watch the show again. Of course ABC is currently happier than a lark because their ratings have shot through the roof and have been the highest in several seasons. I really want the best dancer to win and that would be Jennifer.

That is it for the week. You know the drill. You report in on your lives and what is on the table for you next week. Have any Thanksgiving plans? Any medical issues? Need to vent? Want to introduce yourself? Have any issues you want to discuss? This is the day for you to post anything you damn well please on the blog.

6 comments:

Lady DR said...

Bummer on the weather - hope the predictions are wrong and you've stocked up for the future. Equal bummer on the caregiver. If she didn't get sick, I could see her not doing the shots, but since she seems to routinely pick up various bugs, she loses money and you guys are all inconvenienced. Plus, she's exposing Mom to germs, which I don't like at all.

Good week here. There was the standard stuff, of course - pool, work, line dance, rehearsal for Christmas show the 30th. Saw the ortho Friday and he said, with a grin, "Your MRIs are pristine. You'll never need back surgery or injections, based on what I see." I could have hugged him. He then asked me to review what I had been doing on my own and when I started and then told me to keep doing exactly what I'd been doing. What surprised me (given the "prescription" I put together for myself was chiropractic, deep muscle massage and four days of pool workouts) was that he said the regimen I'd established was more effective that any medical intervention he or any other doctor could recommend. Over the three months, and particularly last three weeks, I've been doing this, the pain level has dropped to about 15% of what it was. He says keep it up and I could be 100% in another three months. See my happy smile. Then, believe it or not, I stopped by the chiropractor's on the way home and she'd had a cancellation and took me right in for an adjustment.

I did get out in the yard a bit Thursday afternoon. Spent today completely rearranging the living room (you'd have to see it, to know what that entailed!) which meant rearranging part of the office, as I traded out furniture, but it's much less cluttered and I think I've made room for the Christmas tree, which was the major mission. It may take a little more tweaking, but the worst of the furniture moving is done. Yea!

Far as I know it will be just the two of us for Thanksgiving next week, unless we stumble across an orphan or two. Most of the folks I know are long-time residents, with lots of local family. We'll have all the traditional dishes, except Himself wants ham instead of turkey. I think I got everything I need last week, hoping to avoid the last minute crowds, if possible.

Pat said...

Great news there from DR! And I'll send good thoughts that you don't get snowed in, Bill.

I was glad to see Stephanie go, also. What a bee-yoch. I haven't seen the show enough to dislike Lisa. Yet. She has had the best ideas, but she's been too passive to even express them. I wonder if that will change without Stephanie to berate her. I suspect you're right that Clint will win.

I also like the two doctors on Amazing Race. As to DWTS, I always disliked the audience voting thing, and now I REALLY dislike it. But I turned off of watching the show except for occasional channel-surfing during commercials, so it won't hurt them if I stop completely. Jennifer Grey should win now. And all Palins should go away.

Next week should be fairly quiet for me. I'll have a BIG Thanksgiving dinner where my mom lives. The chef there does the whole nine yards, with the night caregiver putting in the turkeys around 4 or 5 a.m. I already had one rather good turkey dinner at an appreciation thing for volunteers at our local Castaway. Other than that, I have another grueling eye app't with maybe another shot into the eyeball, and one art excursion with friends. We'll see "Art From the Ashes", which is art made from things found after our big "Station Fire". This is the second year -- last year's exhibit was great, and this one is different, so it should be very interesting at least. I think that's about all worth mentioning for the week, though I could be forgetting something.

William J. said...

Hi DR

There is a winter storm warning currently through Tuesday morning.

The caregiver heard of one person that died of the flu shot a thousand years ago and now she thinks she will die if she gets the shot.

When is the Christmas show?

Great news about the MRI and great news about no surgery! The ortho should hire you to advise his patients. Also great news about the cancellation so you could get a treatment!

I am up for either ham or turkey. You do ham for Himself for Thanksgiving and turkey for Christmas.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Pat

It is now looking more like an ice storm than a snow storm which is worse for me.

Lisa constantly interrupts everyone in the board room. She is aggressive in the board room but doesn't do much when out in the tasks. It is going to be interesting to see how Trump splits up the teams next week. I'm guessing it will be guys against the girls.

You mean you don't watch Sarah Palin's new realty show?

Sounds like a great Thanksgiving dinner you have planned and how great it is that you had another dinner for the volunteers!

Ouch on the eye appointment. The thought a shot in the eye sends shudders up and down my body. I'm sending good vibes for a good appointment and good healing.

Art From The Ashes sound like fun to me. I think I'd like that.

Bill

Pat said...

Hope it doesn't turn into an ice storm. I know how terrible it is to try to drive on ice.

Er, no, I haven't watched Palin's Alaska show. I might check it out, but probably not. I hear it's a big political forum for her, and that it looks like she's never before in her life done the stuff she's trying to do on the show.

The shot into the eye is unpleasant, yes, but it has given some improvement, so it's worth it. It isn't as awful as it sounds -- a microsecond of pain even though they've numbed the eye, and a tad sore for that night when you blink. Worth it, though, at least so far.

Take a look at artfromtheashes.org and you'll get an idea. The outdoor one would have been the best to see, but it's good in their big gallery, too.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

They keep changing it but two inches of snow on top of ice is the latest. I haven't watched Palin's reality show either mainly because I'm not a hunter or gun lover. I hear this is part of the push to get in the Republican nomination in 2012.

If the shot gives some improvement than a little pain is probably OJ to bear.

I looked at the web page and thought the art was beautiful.

Bill