Sunday, November 28, 2010

Terrorist Plots & Updates

Update Sunday is here and the first thing I am going to update you on is the terrorist plot discovered here in Portland, Oregon. This is a series of articles from this morning's Oregonian and also from their web page, http://oregonlive.com/


http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/11/court_documents_test_bombing_i.html

The plot started several months ago when the teen was derailed from a trip to Alaska and then put on the no fly list. Because of an email to a terrorist in Pakistan the FBI watched him from then and even sought him out posing as terrorists. Yes, the thought of thousands of people being killed or injured in the town I am living in is extremely disturbing but nobody was ever in danger. Right now I am more concerned about what is going on in Korea because that has a real chance to turn into a war. What was the teen like? What did his friends think of him? Read on:

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/11/suspect_in_attempted_portland.html

The accounting firm I work act during tax season is Napier & Company, check out the name of the neighbors. I'm not really sure there is a relationship there but the name is unusual enough that it makes me wonder.

The following article will tell you what this might lead to. Certainly a lot of jail time for the teen. At least I hope, I am concerned that a good attorney will claim entrapment. I'm also curious why the Mayor of our great city wasn't informed of the plot, don't you think he should have been? I'm also concerned about an over reaction leading to property damage and maybe the loss of life:

http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-northwest-news/index.ssf/2010/11/early_morning_fire_reported_at_islamic_center_in_corvallis.html

The church had nothing to do with the plot. The teen wanted to perform Jihad since he was thirteen or fourteen. According to one expert interviewed on KGW-TV Channel 8 here in Portland most of the terrorist plots since 9-11 have involved an individual that sought out a group and not the other way around. Of course in each case we wouldn't have been alerted to the individual had we not been monitoring the groups. However, the terrorist expert indicated the individual would have eventually performed the act of terrorism on his own.

Now on to my Update. I'm feeling a little better today so am taking Mom out to lunch and if my energy stays in focus some shopping. Tomorrow is my brother-in-law's birthday so we are taking him to dinner. Tuesday and Wednesday nights are at Mom's. Thursday, maybe a movie. Friday and Saturday me time.

Last week was a busy one. Sunday was breakfast with the boys. Monday & Tuesday were work days. Wednesday I picked up the suit and spent the night at Mom's. Thursday was a family celebration. Friday was a get together to eat leftovers and watch the Oregon-Arizona football game. Saturday was recovery day, resting all day. The suit was a success with Mom. I will try to get pictures later but my Mom's reaction and her friend's Marion's reaction told me I did the right thing.

The couple that got engaged on The Amazing Race last week, Chad & Stephanie were eliminated. The winner of Dancing With The Stars was Jennifer Gray, runner-up was Kyle, and Bristol finished third. On The Apprentice Stuart was sent packing. There are three left on The Apprentice and one of the three will be eliminated at the start of this week's show. My guess is the final will be between Lisa and Clint and Clint will win.

The blog is now yours. You know the drill, tell me all about your life and comment on anything in today's post.

4 comments:

Lady DR said...

Thanks for the updates and information Bill. As with most of the instances we've heard about, the planning was a long time in the making. One wonders what creates such hatred in an individual that he would set the steps in motion to gain assistance in his jihad endeavors.

A part of me wonders about the entrapment issue, yet there are audio and video tapes showing the agents tried to talk the kid out of his plan/plot, to no avail, as well as the messages to groups in Pakistan and such and his online articles. As to neighbors' comments, everybody thought Ted Bundy and the guy in Chicago were really nice guys, too.

I was sorry to see the article on the church, but I guess not too surprised. Some people want to retaliate, not stopping to think that this is not about every Muslim in the US, only about those who are caught up in the fanaticism of the terrorist call for jihad.

The whole thing is disturbing. My friend, D, in Portland was upset and then kind of rocked by the knowledge her son had attended Markham with the accused. Since she didn't share any comments with me, I can only assume T shared classes, but didn't know the kid well.

My update: A good week, mostly routine. Had my bi-weekly massage (these could be addictive) and am happy to report I continue to improve. The ms project is going well. Thanksgiving was lovely and relaxed. Saturday I packed away all the autumn decorations and started bring in Christmas, which I plan to do a step at a time, at a leisurely pace. The kitchen and bath linens are in place. I'm scrubbing and scouring as I go, before I "set up." Today, we brought in the new tree we bought on after holiday special last year, so I could see what I had to deal with and where it would fit, after all the rearranging I did last week to make space. I cannot tell you what at treat it was to put it together, plug it in and have lovely lights, without having to battle strings of lights! The ornaments are all in the LR, waiting for me to scatter them throughout the tree, which project seemed more daunting than I wanted to deal with today. Since I'm starting early, I'm fine with doing it step by step, as the mood strikes me. Next week is busy and not sure where I'm going to get the editorial hours in to meet my deadline of the edit that turned into a ghost write/rewrite. I see the chiro tomorrow AM, then take MA's jewelry over to discuss sales, consignment and the like. Tuesday afternoon is the show at NHC, Wednesday is line dance, Thursday is the annual visit to the opthamalogist (however you spell it!). Somewhere in there I have to chat with our insurance, because the cardio recommended isn't on our insurance plan and I'm not sure what that means, given Himself is on Medicare and WF is secondary, call the electric company about two strange bills, neither of which add up to our budget plan, check on making an app't with cardio for Himself and do standard domestic duties. If I miss a day or two, you now know why.

Pat said...

So frightening about your homegrown terrorist! Even though the Fibbies were onto him before he really got started, just knowing that there are people out there who think that way is nerve-wracking. People who'd set fire to an Islamic center because of his actions are not much better. They only (if you'll excuse an awful pun) add fuel to the fire.

I'm very glad Jennifer Grey won DWTS. If she hadn't, there would have been quite an uproar, I'm sure. I'm glad Steuart got eliminated because I didn't like the way he spelled his name. {g} Otherwise, no opinions.

I have a fairly quiet week, but must, must, must get some real SHOPPING done soon! Christmas just lands on top of you with hardly any warning sometimes.

William J. said...

Hi DR

The planning was a long time in the making and the feds were there every step of the way which gives me confidence that it would be really difficult for a terrorist plot to make it to reality.

The entrapment issue begans because the FBI made contact with him first. That scares me, that could mean with the right judge a terrorist goes free.

Not only is not about every Muslim it is also hate and fighting hate with hate is just disturbing to me. As it fighting crime by a crime.

It would have scared me to, to find out that my son attended school with a terrorist suspect. Especially one that was said to joke about becoming a terrorist.

Glad you got in some good things this week like the massage and am extremely glad you continue to improve. Glad Thanksgiving was good!

You are being a good role model by already preparing for Christmas!

What a busy week you have planned! I hope you get some time to take a breath! If you disappear for a couple of days we will understand but miss you!

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Pat

That is the most disturbing thing about the plot, the mind set of the teen. He wanted children to die. Innocent children. I also agree with you that people who'd set fire to an Islamic center because of his actions are not much better.

In a way the evil side of me wondered what would happen if Bristol won DWTS. I didn't even notice the weird spelling Steuart's
name.

This week I will make my Christmas list, next week I will get serious.

Bill