Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Food

I think saying that Thanksgiving and food go hand in hand would be an understatement. Today to help you prepare your Thanksgiving Dinner and to help with the start of your Christmas shopping today the blog will all about food.

You don't want to use the same old stuffing for your turkey tomorrow? I have just the answer for you:

Rhttp://www.slashfood.com/2010/11/23/stuffing-secret-add-white-castle-sliders/?icid=main%7Chp-laptop%7Cdl5%7Csec4_lnk2%7C185987

Remember when bread makers were the rage? Everyone had to have one. It was on everyone's Christmas list. I just have a hunch that the machine mentioned in the following article is going to be the rage this Christmas:

http://shopping.aol.com/articles/2010/11/17/sodastream/?ncid=AOLCOMMshopDYNLsec0001&icid=main%7Chp-laptop%7Cdl6%7Csec3_lnk1%7C185950

Remember the kids table at Thanksgiving dinners? I do. I also remember my Mom telling me to clear my plate or else I couldn't have desert. It was really OK with me because I was one of those rare kids that never liked deserts all that much. I would have much rather skipped desert than eat spinach or some other weird thing. Turns out when Mom told me to clean my plate she could have been wrong.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20101122/od_nm/us_eating_parents

So are you going to try a new stuffing, make some good soft drinks, and clean your plate this four day weekend?

Hope you have a great day. I am off to Mom's to spend the night there tonight and the day there tomorrow.



WHO AM I?

I was born in 1788 and died in 1879. I was an advocate for women's education, poet, editor, and innovative novelist. I was one of most influential American women of the mid-nineteenth century. My earliest education was provided my mother. Thereafter my brother, a student at Dartmouth College, helped broaden my educational acumen. Being an autodidactic I augmented my self-learning while working as a schoolteacher. I married a lawyer and we established a small literary club. I Sarah dabbled with writing. Following My husband’s unexpected death, pregnant with her fifth child, was in financial difficulty. I turned to a career in the literary arts and with financial help from my husband’s Masonic colleagues I published a well-received book of poems and later saw great success with the release of a novel, a story about slavery, preceding Harriet Beecher Stowe's seminal Uncle Tom’s Cabin by more than two decades. With my writing success I was offered and took the position as editor of Ladies’ Magazine . I went on to become editor of the new Godey’s Lady’s Book. Under my remarkable forty-year editorship, Godey’s became the most successful women's magazine at the time. I was a staunch advocate of women’s education, and she avowed that Godey’s was to be a means for widening women's scope of knowledge. To that end, I published reading lists comparable to ones used in college classes, so that readers could be exposed to great works in American arts and letters, and circulated lists of schools that admitted women for study. I soon emboldened my position for the advancement of women’s education by calling for equal education, proposing that women should receive the same type of education as men. While I championed women’s advancement, teaching opportunities, and economic independence and promoted social and women’s issues, including public health, early childhood education, child welfare, and the increase of female doctors and overseas female medical missionaries, I did not align the feminist movements. I opposed suffrage and women's public speaking. Instead, I encouraged readers to develop within their proper sphere—the home—and marketed my magazine to husbands and fathers, ensuring them that, with a subscription, their wives and daughters would be better able to satisfy. My editorials campaigned for a national holiday. When a famous president proclaimed that holiday I moved to become involved in social causes and humanitarian organizations, including fund-raising for completion of the Bunker Hill Monument and the Boston Seamen's Aid Society, a charitable organization founded in Boston in 1829 with the goal of improving the condition and character of seamen and their families and of which I was its first president. You should already know who I am because I've been featured as Who Am I before but since I am considered to be the lady that saved Thanksgiving Bill thought it would be an appropriate repeat today. Who Am I?

4 comments:

Pat said...

I think I'll stick to the tried & true old-fashioned stuffing, thanks. And since I'm not a huge soda fan, for a minimum of $100, I'll pass on the SodaStream, thanks again.

I remember very well being forced to sit at the table until I had choked down some icky vegetable. I vowed I'd never do that to my kid and I never did.

Lady DR said...

Since we're doing ham, there won't be any stuffing tomorrow, but I think I'll stick with my traditional recipe, which everyone likes.

I don't drink sodas and I'm not sure Himself would go for making his own, so this will not be on the Christmas shopping list this year.

As to eating, the report really didn't seem to have any conclusions to me. I remember an aunt forcing me to eat tomatoes and then saying I made myself sick because I didn't want them. Later, we discovered my allergy to anything with white seeds. I do remember the "clean your plate," but it wasn't about dessert, it was the starving children in China and, I suspect, the fact we didn't have food to waste, but I can't remember been forced to do so. The rule in our house was "just take three bites." I've no compunction about not cleaning my plate, since I can ask for a doggie bag or I put my leftovers aside for lunch in a day or two. I do think forcing a child to clean their plate may be one of the many sources of obesity in today's children. The child is taught to eat, even after they're full.

Happy Thanksgiving to each and everyone of you.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

Since someone else is cooking today the only thing I'm stuffing is me.

The soda, however, does interest me.

I'm glad you were ahead of your time and didn't make your daughter finish her plate!

Bill

William J. said...

Hi

We are doing ham too, well at least sister is.

I know I am in the minority but the soda machine does interest me.

How awful being forced to eat tomatoes! We also had the kid in China are starving thing, at least until my brother asked my parents to name one.

I like the just take three bites rule unless liver and onions is involved then no bites.

Happy Thanksgiving to you too

Bill